Seeking Custom Script Nanokontrol2 to emulate APC40

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danadiamond

Seeking Custom Script Nanokontrol2 to emulate APC40

Post by danadiamond » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 am

I want to hook up two Nanokontrol2 controllers - ideally, once remapped, together they'd emulate certain functions of my APC 40.
I'm looking for someone to help me write a custom script for this.

I tried the MapEase series - it worked well for some functions, but can't help with remapping the nanokontrol2's Rec/Mute/Solo pads to emulate clips slots, which is one of my key goals.

i basically use the APC 40 like a real-time live recorder for looping & layering guitar/bass/synths etc. My focus at live gigs is playing the instruments, and my laptop is off to the side and not really visible, so my controller needs to be laid out in a way that makes sense so I can stay focused.

my goal:
- Nanokontrol2 #1: all 3 rows of buttons to work as clips slots w/ lights ON / OFF when active/empty.
Track 8 for scene launch and its fader is Master Vol.; a few other functions mapped to available buttons on the nano.

- Nanokontrol2 #2 - the other things i use mapped to the nano 2... see attached image.

I tour alot, and the APC40, while solid and dependable, is too large.
I've done alot of research on controllers.
Launchpad is not ideal, i need real faders, and it's larger than I need, layout is not intuitive.
Nanopad : buttons don't light up.
Livid stuff is beautiful, but large, and really expensive.
Vestax PAD-One only has 6 buttons across and no faders. I need all 8 across (9 would be better, like the older nankontro, for scene launch + master fader)
Same goes for the Akai LPD8, but even more limited w/ pads to map clip slots to.

Not going for Push/Live 9 yet.

I thought the 2 nanos, once scripted, seemed ideal.

instead of writing it all out, i made a diagram of how it could be mapped. Hopefully this makes it easier to understand.
The Green sections on the attached image of the APC40 are the only functions I use.

Totally open to ideas and input. I am new to scripting and thought to reach out to the community for ideas. Thanks for your consideration!

Macbook Pro / 8gb ram / Ableton V 8.4.1

Last edited by danadiamond on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

login

Re: Seeking Custom Script Nanokontrol2 to emulate APC40

Post by login » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:14 am

http://www.nativekontrol.com check out the mapease series for the native kontrol 2

danadiamond

Post by danadiamond » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:30 am

thanks, I have tried that, revised my post to clarify.

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Thu May 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi dana, i want to do something similar with a NK2 and a LPD8.
From what i researched before, its possible to create this kind of "device" with some software. Midipipe and MidiPatch Bay seem able to virtually merge 2 controllers into 1.
I just finished my script to emulate the behavior of the APC40 (you can check it here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=193316), so the functions of the APC can be done.

I can't try to merge my NK and LPD to experiment if this works because the LPD usb conector broke, its off warranty and i have to repair it myself, which i will try to do in the next weeks.

danadiamond

Post by danadiamond » Fri May 03, 2013 6:00 pm

thanks! so once your devices are fixed in a couple weeks, you'll have a go at the new script?
fantastic if you can figure this out! it would be a big help to many people...me too ;)

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Fri May 03, 2013 6:26 pm

I think the first hurdle would be combining both of the controllers into the same control script slot.. unless you could use the combination mode stuff from the APC40/APC20 scripts.. from there it would be just a matter of Python scripting which is a bit over my head but I thought I would mention that since it will probably be your starting point for accomplishing this

danadiamond

Post by danadiamond » Fri May 03, 2013 8:11 pm

If I could edit / write Python scripts, this would be sorted already... but yes, I think you are right.

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Sun May 05, 2013 4:38 pm

TYLRbass wrote:I think the first hurdle would be combining both of the controllers into the same control script slot.. unless you could use the combination mode stuff from the APC40/APC20 scripts.. from there it would be just a matter of Python scripting which is a bit over my head but I thought I would mention that since it will probably be your starting point for accomplishing this
Combining them its the only hurdle in this. I forgot about the combination mode from the APC, this should do the trick but however will consume 2 midi controller script slots.
dana, are you ok with this?

danadiamond

Post by danadiamond » Mon May 06, 2013 4:46 am

hey TYLRbass,
i don't think that's a problem, i don't have many slots in use normally.
one slot would be ideal but i guess it doesn't matter, as long as it works.
thank you!

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Mon May 06, 2013 6:07 pm

With combination mode you wouldn't need to combine them into one script, but hey I'm just tossing ideas around.. don't take them as facts :)

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Tue May 07, 2013 12:11 pm

TYLRbass wrote:With combination mode you wouldn't need to combine them into one script, but hey I'm just tossing ideas around.. don't take them as facts :)
The combination mode problem is that you need to have 2 session box on the screen. The second NK only controls mixer parameters instead of clips but still you have to spawn a session box (i think) and this would look messy in ableton screen IMO. I'll try it out with 2 generic redbox script and post the results.

danadiamond

Post by danadiamond » Tue May 07, 2013 4:55 pm

Worth a try! Thanks Tylr.

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Tue May 07, 2013 8:28 pm

danadiamond wrote:Worth a try! Thanks Tylr.
It's dynamic, but its ok :)

danadiamond

Post by danadiamond » Tue May 07, 2013 8:33 pm

damn! sorry dynamiiic.

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Hey dana, repaired my LPD8 and tried out the options.

The combination mode didn't work but using Midipipe it worked! :D
So please send me private message with the detailed functions you want for each NanoKontrol2 and I'll write it for you