You can only rent Adobe software going forward

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

You can only rent Adobe software going forward

Post by beats me » Tue May 07, 2013 5:16 pm

Yup, just announced. The next versions of Photoshop and the likes you will only be able to use for $20 a month for a single piece of software or $50 a month for the suite. There’s no more buying it all up front.

Not too surprised considering they make the most pirated expensive software on the planet.

Good news for competitors though who couldn’t break through that “industry standard” stranglehold Adobe had on the industry.

footsy

Re: You can only rent Adobe software going forward

Post by footsy » Tue May 07, 2013 6:09 pm

a lot of companies are doing this....

Ohm Studio (A collab DAW) is gonna charge monthly. I've always said this would happen, and it looks like more and more companies are starting to figure that out.

It will still get cracked no doubt about the only thing that hasn't been cracked for full is WoW and other games like that.

You can play a sandbox or private server but can't play on their servers.
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

8O

Post by 8O » Tue May 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Interesting...

How much would you pay per month to use Live? :wink:

8O

Post by 8O » Tue May 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Scratch that. As we're talking servers that can't be pirated, how much would you pay per month to use Ableton's forum? :wink:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 07, 2013 6:34 pm

I think it’s an interesting experiment. If all DAWs were subscription only I’m sure a lot of people would be willing to try out a full version of the software for a month for $20 and then decide if you want to continue paying for it and using it.

If you were to use Live 9 Suite using this method with the full price of $749 you will be using it for a little over 3 years when you’ve paid the full retail. I suppose the problem would be when people are still using it past that point and feel they are getting screwed for continuing to get charged for software they feel they paid off.

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Tue May 07, 2013 6:39 pm

I knew this was coming, but I still find it uncomfortable knowing that this is the (company desired) future of major software applications. I just purchased the creative suite production premium, mainly for photoshop and premiere, at student pricing so no upgrade path for me there. However, as I need at least those two pgms I am not sure what the future cost will be in this new cloud world.

I just don't trust Adobe, or similar companies, because we now will have a permanent 'pay as you go' situation which can be subtly increased over relatively short time frames,rather than the buy a product and use it until you need to change it as we have now. You can bet the house on continuous future price increases happening, even though they have eliminated the costs of making discs, packaging etc.

It is not like we can 'vote them out of office' if we don't like their tax increases. :x

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Tue May 07, 2013 6:49 pm

beats me wrote:I think it’s an interesting experiment. If all DAWs were subscription only I’m sure a lot of people would be willing to try out a full version of the software for a month for $20 and then decide if you want to continue paying for it and using it.
If you could pay per month (or pay for a trial month) that would be more acceptable, especially if you were not using the pgm. continuously. But Adobe are making it yearly subscriptions for their products. So it is a yearly contract.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Tue May 07, 2013 6:57 pm

If it's digital, it can be cracked - even if it's a drone workstation app. Where there's a will, there's a way. Props Reason has a super tight security mechanism, but Reason isn't coveted as much as say Pro-Tools or Adobe or Autodesk, so it doesn't get the energy needed by the ace crackerz to pry it open which can take a good time investment depending upon the cypher. The rental approach will still require using a fat client approach to distribute the app files and I imagine there will be a phone-home scheme to serve up a runtime authentication token every time you fire it up....which of course can be "emulated" Some companies will try the cloud approach and have customers run their shit over the web like the old thin-client dumb terminal days, but the file shuttling/streaming performance with multimedia and audio apps will suck donkey-ballz.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 07, 2013 6:58 pm

earthloop wrote: I just don't trust Adobe, or similar companies, because we now will have a permanent 'pay as you go' situation which can be subtly increased over relatively short time frames,rather than the buy a product and use it until you need to change it as we have now. You can bet the house on continuous future price increases happening, even though they have eliminated the costs of making discs, packaging etc.

But there will probably also be the “grandfathered in” option, which is good and bad. On one hand your rate won’t increase, on the other hand people will continue to pay that lower rate for something they might not be currently using because if they stop the subscription they will have the pay the higher rate when they start over.

But yeah, all these cloud options feel a bit scary and like you aren’t in control of what you “own” and it could just disappear for any variety of reasons. But that is probably the current “old people” paranoia. This will be the norm for people in their late teens and early 20’s and they probably don’t think it’s any big deal.

But shit, I remember in my early 20’s shuffling around my rent and utilities money constantly (robbing Peter to pay Paul). I can’t imagine what a mess it would be if I would also have to juggle a bunch of subscriptions. I’m doing it now but I’m a big boy and don’t have the fucked up priorities of a 20-year-old. I guess this is just another reason for them to not move out of their parents house.

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Tue May 07, 2013 7:24 pm

beats me wrote: I guess this is just another reason for them to not move out of their parents house.
...you just reminded me of my poor brother: his two sons, mid twenties, both computer nerds, are still at home and don't look like going anywhere...even though his daughter, the youngest at 21 has finished her degree at university and promptly got a job and moved out! And he and his wife are wondering if they will ever have the house to themselves. Ahhh kids today!!! :roll:

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue May 07, 2013 7:28 pm

8O wrote:Scratch that. As we're talking servers that can't be pirated, how much would you pay per month to use Ableton's forum? :wink:
Right now I would pay someone to keep me away from it.

:x
Unsound Designer

8O

Post by 8O » Tue May 07, 2013 7:43 pm

stringtapper wrote:
8O wrote:Scratch that. As we're talking servers that can't be pirated, how much would you pay per month to use Ableton's forum? :wink:

How much?

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Tue May 07, 2013 7:44 pm

beats me wrote:
But yeah, all these cloud options feel a bit scary and like you aren’t in control of what you “own” and it could just disappear for any variety of reasons. But that is probably the current “old people” paranoia.
And that reminds me of another issue which I just remembered...who will you be speaking to if there are problems with your service (with Adobe)? When I tried to register my creative suite product I ended up talking to someone in India via email at first, then via online chat app: it was a nightmare. It took a week to make them understand that I was still trying to register for the first time and that it was not working, rather than trying to register a second license...I shudder to think of the complex issues which might arise in the future and having to go through that sort of process again. :x

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue May 07, 2013 7:58 pm

8O wrote:
stringtapper wrote:

How much?
One doctoral dissertation. Payment upon completion.

Unsound Designer

tone61

Post by tone61 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 pm

beats me wrote:I think it’s an interesting experiment. If all DAWs were subscription only I’m sure a lot of people would be willing to try out a full version of the software for a month for $20 and then decide if you want to continue paying for it and using it.
Ohm Studio is already cloud based. They currently charge 39€ for 6 months, 224€ life time.
No idea how many users.

http://www.ohmstudio.com/