CPEREZZZ RULES CPEREZZZ RULES CPEREZZZ RULES CPER

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
re:dream

Re: Moving To The CLOUD?

Post by re:dream » Tue May 07, 2013 6:34 pm

I have all my music and all my work files synced between two computers via the cloud. The files my computers access sit on the hard drive, but they are synced via the cloud.

I don't know which of your options that represents, though. Probably none f the above.

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 pm

I voted option 4 because there will probably be no way to totally avoid it...and it might work out o.k. for some things...but then I am old school. I would like the right to be able to have a choice!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 pm

I can't wait until it gets cheaper. I'd love to store a lot of the old music and movies I don't watch much in the cloud and just keep a small "most used" collection with me at all times.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue May 07, 2013 8:14 pm

This is why iTunes + AppleTV is awesome. You buy, you stream. No need to store anything.
Unsound Designer

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Tue May 07, 2013 8:19 pm

billiejeanbeatit wrote:
earthloop wrote:I voted option 4 because there will probably be no way to totally avoid it...and it might work out o.k. for some things...but then I am old school. I would like the right to be able to have a choice!
Have you ever had a hard drive die and forgot to back it up? I have recently.I was left with old backup files. Which led me to moving everything (photos,music,videos,docs) to several cloud services. I think it's a security risk. But, I decided to take that chance and not deal with backup drives.
Yes, there is that. (hardware failure). I can see cloud services as backup and storage but for real time work I see trouble ahead, at least in the short/medium term, with regard to local bandwidth issues due to massive increases in multi media type traffic. If (no, when) cloud computing takes off and becomes ubiquitous there will be a lot of pressure on the ability of the internet to deliver real time services (such as accessing large files) in areas not serviced by the fastest technologies, like optical fibre vs copper.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue May 07, 2013 8:31 pm

HD runs smooth as butter here, but I have FIOS 50/25.
Unsound Designer

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 pm

I cant move anything to the cloud because my isp (Charter)still has a bandwidth cap. Companies are pushing this cloud shit but continuing to cap bandwidth.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed May 08, 2013 1:47 am

THE CLOUD IS OUT TO GET YOU.

FACT.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Wed May 08, 2013 10:40 am

I AINT GOIN ON NO CLOUD :x

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed May 08, 2013 11:09 am

billiejeanbeatit wrote:
The Finn wrote:I have all my music and all my work files synced between two computers via the cloud. The files my computers access sit on the hard drive, but they are synced via the cloud.

I don't know which of your options that represents, though. Probably none f the above.
Wait. How are you doing this? I mean, what cloud service is this?
Dropbox is how.
been using it for a few years now and it is awesome, especially if you produce with another person
http://db.tt/UaexoSQ

Sugarsync
www.sugarsync.com/

Google Drive

also their is a new kid on the block
https://www.gobbler.com/

also for deep storage check out
https://mega.co.nz/
free 50 gigs cloud.. good for archiving old files to free up some space.

i'm sure their is more.
all of them have free space.
i the cloud storage is awesome.
I have lost a few drives in my day and it is nice feeling to know when your drive goes down you don't loose anything important.

csuke

Post by csuke » Wed May 08, 2013 4:20 pm

I use the Cloud now for backing up any Live Pack available for download. I'm a Live Pack hoarder :D

bastien

Post by bastien » Thu May 09, 2013 10:00 am

Yep, Google Drive to sync the desktop and laptop (and keep stuff safe).

I'm kind of deliberately not doing 'Collect all and Save' or exporting renders or stems into the Drive folder though. They'd take all week to upload on this connection, and use up all the available space.

So I still have to make sure all sample libraries and VSTs are the same on both machines, by copying directly.

Erik Mitchell

Post by Erik Mitchell » Fri May 10, 2013 5:16 pm

I suppose I don't have a good reason to. I have a separate physical backup drive and only my laptop

I'll use dropbox to collab with others or go through my samples at my work PC. Unfortunately I can't install Ableton on my work machine LOL

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon May 13, 2013 9:51 pm

billiejeanbeatit wrote:Google drive with Gmail now 15GB free total!
You don't even need to read your messages - we read them for you.
And coming soon, Gmail integration with our new AdVisor headset.