You can only rent Adobe software going forward

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
nathannn

Re: You can only rent Adobe software going forward

Post by nathannn » Tue May 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Adobe really have their head up their ass rather than the cloud, This reminds me of rent a center. This is just extreme greed.
There are so many reasons why this will fail and they will be forced to go back to licence ownership.
What if the updates are shit.. do you continue paying for crap that isnt being updated?
What if you dont have an internet connection, how can you use this?
Why would anyone do this when there are alternatives?
This is just going to make current users pissed to the point where they stop buying anything adobe and use something else. From there, other companies will pick up where adobe left off and actually sell the product to you instead of renting it.

Note to Ableton: this is not a good idea, this is the type of forward thinking that forces you to go out of business.
there will always be a competitor willing to sell the software rather than rent it out.

I can imagine other companies following Adobe's lead but I do see it eventually failing unless a service like netflix for software comes up where you pay $20.00 a month to use software from many companies.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 07, 2013 9:32 pm

But what to do when 9 out of 10 users of your software are using pirated versions?

Another option would be LOWER THE FUCKING PRICE OF SAID SOFTWARE and more people would pay for it. It’s not like Adobe is a struggling startup.

All I use Adobe software for is fucking up my browser experience with their shit Flash plug-in that also has a new update available every 14 minutes. For Photoshop? There’s a handful of great alternatives that are a lot cheaper and cover all your needs except for the most extreme of power users.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue May 07, 2013 9:59 pm

Bringing that up, maybe that's part of their aim is, to entice the semi-pro users to owning up by having a sane pricing model to use?
They know some will always pirate, and know the serious people who need it for serious work will pay for it, on the freelance end of things, seeing as how a lot don't need to pay for it since it's provided at the studio they work at. So The only leftover pirate market they can get money from is the semi-pro freelancers, who are probably more likely to pay $20 a month than try and keep their savings in check for it to pay the $650.

I'm a good market for the subscription model. I'd hope they make it like the Zipcar subscription. You can either pay by the hour, day, or month; there's a few different options. I'd pay by the hour. Ideally keep the meter running would be my thing for a lot of software. I'm more likely to pay for the time I do use it than save up hundreds of dollars for something I may not use on a consistent basis.

It seems silly to not have both choices, though. Keep the same old price and software for offline use. If people want to cloud, let them go that route, but why make some suffer? They'd have to come up with a win-win strategy though, right?
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 pm

I’m sure the vast majority of Photoshop pirates don’t even need it or use it that often. They’re just using high end graphics software to slap text on a meme graphic. They probably aren’t even aware there are affordable great alternatives because they’ve never had to look into it. Those people probably won’t pay $20 a month to use it.

I don’t know if it’s a situation where you have to always be connected to the net to use it. Maybe it just shuts off after a month if you didn’t pay. But if that’s the method then there probably will be a way to crack it.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue May 07, 2013 10:22 pm

I’m sure the vast majority of Photoshop pirates don’t even need it or use it that often. They’re just using high end graphics software to slap text on a meme graphic. They probably aren’t even aware there are affordable great alternatives because they’ve never had to look into it. Those people probably won’t pay $20 a month to use it.
That's what I was getting out, out of those 9 out of 10 you mentioned that use a pirated version, probably 7 out of those 9 don't get anything out of it anyway, but those 2 out of 9 who may are the ones you want to go after, and the subscription could work better than forcing them to pay 650.
ImageImage

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue May 07, 2013 11:34 pm

Are there alternatives to Illustrator and Indesign?
Unsound Designer

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 pm

I think Inkscape has been the go-to for Illustrator alternative, and it's free: http://inkscape.org/

Not sure about InDesign
http://www.opensourcealternative.org/gr ... -indesign/
ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue May 07, 2013 11:43 pm

stringtapper wrote:Are there alternatives to Illustrator and Indesign?
hell no.

both of those are ace.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed May 08, 2013 12:07 am

H20nly wrote:
stringtapper wrote:Are there alternatives to Illustrator and Indesign?
hell no.

both of those are ace.

Then enjoy your $40 a month to use them. And for just $10 more you can also use Photoshop. :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed May 08, 2013 1:35 am

The subscription model for Adobe is FANTASTIC. You get all the shit you need for LESS money, actually.

WIN.

WIN.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed May 08, 2013 1:37 am

Do you have any idea how much a stand-alone copy of InDesign is these days?

omfg.

$700.

omfg.

8O
:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 am

I get CS6 Design Standard for $230.

:P

Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 am

fuck all that noise... i've got CS4...

stay.

footsy

Post by footsy » Wed May 08, 2013 2:46 am

8O wrote:Scratch that. As we're talking servers that can't be pirated, how much would you pay per month to use Ableton's forum? :wink:
Bye, I wouldn't pay to stay here.

Although I don't have the "rep" and post count as some of you. I ever so often come on these boards, mostly out of boredom at work, or free time. I do however have it as an icon for my first screen on my iPhone that's bookmarked to the forum. xD

but that's just too look cool.
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Wed May 08, 2013 5:54 am

beats me wrote:
I don’t know if it’s a situation where you have to always be connected to the net to use it. Maybe it just shuts off after a month if you didn’t pay. But if that’s the method then there probably will be a way to crack it.
Annual commitment, billed monthly. The key word is 'commitment'. Looks to me like you will be liable for the whole commitment regardless of your usage. It will be interesting to see if people get barred from future access if they don't pay up on time...like a bad credit rating situation.

http://www.adobe.com/au/products/creati ... ID=3485381