NanoKontrol 2 MIDI Remote Script: "APC Emulation"

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
dynamiiic

NanoKontrol 2 MIDI Remote Script: "APC Emulation"

Post by dynamiiic » Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 am

Hi,
here is my script for the Korg NanoKontrol 2. I found existing scripts a bit limited, so i got hands on scripting. I was written initially for L8 but I was able to port it to 9.

It has 4 modes with 8x3 session, cycling sends, reset send to 0 button, navigation/lock to devices, device on/off, device knobs, select track, metronome, quantization control, etc..

This is how it works:
Global Midi Channel is 1!
It loads in a default or initial mode and there are 3 modes buttons:
- STOP: Shift Mode
- PLAY: Alt Mode
- RECORD: Ctrl Mode
This buttons are toggle buttons for the versions previous to Live 9.1!
Press one of them to enter that mode, pressing again will deactivate it and return to the initial mode. If you have one mode active and press other mode button, simply it deactivates the first and activates the second.

OVERVIEW ON MODES:

- DEFAULT MODE:
- Track Nav - Session left/right
- Rewind, Forward - Session up/down
- Marker Left, Right - Send up/down
- Cycle, Set Marker - Does nothing
- Faders - Session tracks volume
- Knobs - Session tracks send A (Assignable with marker left/right to the other sends)
- Solo, Arm, Mute - Session Clip Launch Matrix 8x3

- SHIFT MODE:
- Track Nav - Same as in default mode
- Rewind, Forward - Same as in default mode
- Marker Left, Right - Same as in default mode
- Faders - Same as in default mode
- Knobs - Same as in default mode
- Solo, Arm, Mute - Solo, Arm and Mute for the Session controlled tracks

- ALT MODE:
- Marker Left, Right - Same as in default mode
- Knobs - Same as in default mode
- Solo - Resets the value of the current send for the Session controlled tracks
- Mute - Select track for the Session controlled tracks
- Arm - Stop button for the Session controlled tracks

- CTRL MODE:
- Marker Left, Right - Device left/right
- Cycle - Device turn on/off
- Set Marker - Device lock/unlock
- Knobs - Controls 8 knobs on a selected device
- Solo - Clip/Device view for the Session controlled tracks
- Mute - The 3 first Mute buttons are assigned to the 3 scene launch, the rest unassigned (Ideas are welcome)
- Arm 1 - Stop
- Arm 2 - Play
- Arm 3 - Record
- Arm 4 - Global Quantization
- Arm 5 - Tempo Down
- Arm 6 - Tempo Up
- Arm 7 - Metronome
- Arm 8 - Stop All Clips

Below is an image with the default CC values (image is included in zip file):

PLEASE READ BELOW
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: CHANGELOG V1.1 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Compatible with Live 9.1, 9.1.1, 9.1.2, 9.1.3, 9.1.4, 9.2.2 and 9.5
Fixed bug on switching between modes
Modes Buttons now are MOMENTARY (you need to go change that in the Korg Kontrol Editor Program)
In default mode the three modes buttons are now turned ON

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: CHANGELOG V2.0 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Compatible with Ableton Live 11.1
Version increment to 2.0
No new funcionality added
Printing to Ableton's Live log.txt the actual version
Download (Includes all the versions for Ableton Live 8, 9.0 and 9.1):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/z9mere
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: DOWNLOAD 2022 v2.0 - Live 11.1 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
https://www.sendspace.com/file/emm66c
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: INSTALL NOTES ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1- Download
2- Unzip NanoKontrol2Shift1.1.zip
3- Go to where you extracted the files and unzip the version that suits you
4- Find the folder that you just extracted containing the python scripts and rename it to NanoKontrol2Shift (example: NanoKontrol2ShiftAL9.1 - NanoKontrol2Shift)
5- Find you Live 9 application, right-click and choose "Show Package Content" then navigate to /Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts and copy the NanoKontrol2Shift folder here
6- Fire up Live, go to Preferences> MIDI Sync:
6.1- Control Surface: NanoKontrol2Shift
6.2- Input : nanoKONTROL2(SLIDER/KNOB)
6.3- Output : nanoKONTROL2(CTRL)

Edit: Forgot to mention that the py files are also in the package, meaning you can open with a text editor and see how it was done, and if you want you can change the mappings within the consts.py file.

Feel free to write suggestions, requests or questions and please report BUGS if you find any!
Last edited by dynamiiic on Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.

magnax

Re: NanoKontrol 2 MIDI Remote Script: "APC Emulation"

Post by magnax » Sun May 05, 2013 10:02 pm

This is brilliant. Thank you very much for sharing.

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Wed May 08, 2013 9:47 am

Hey dynamiiic, it sounds cool.
I downloaded the file but it seems to be made in "python scripting"...
Wich I have absolutely no clue about how to "make it done"

Do you go trough the korg editor ?

(I'm an absolute newbie for those things)

And further question > if I'm not "happy" with the new nanokontrol behavior, is it easy to go back to default ?...

In advance thanx.

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Wed May 08, 2013 2:26 pm

erikomic wrote:Hey dynamiiic, it sounds cool.
I downloaded the file but it seems to be made in "python scripting"...
Wich I have absolutely no clue about how to "make it done"

Do you go trough the korg editor ?

(I'm an absolute newbie for those things)

And further question > if I'm not "happy" with the new nanokontrol behavior, is it easy to go back to default ?...

In advance thanx.
Hi erikomic!
That's how MIDI Remote Scripting with Ableton it's done, with python scripting! And yes, you have to use the korg editor and yes, you can revert back to default! Here's a little tutorial:

1- Unzip, choose your version of the script (regarding if you use LIve 8 or 9). Copy the script folder to the remote scripts folder, here's how to do it
2- Then go to the Korg Editor and save your actual settings (File>Save As)
3- After this, go to the slot near the NK light: set the Global Midi Channel to 1, Control Mode to CC, Led Mode to Internal. Next, with the editor go through each control in the NK and set the Control Change number (according with the image in my first post or that is in the zip file you downloaded), for buttons set them as momentary.
4- Now go to Communication>Write Scene Data, after this the editor will prompt you if you want to save these new mapping (It's your choice)
5- Next close the editor, open Live, go to Preferences>Midi sync, in the Control Surface slot search for "NanoKontrol2ShiftALX" (where 'X' is the version), in the Input/Output slots is nanoKONTROL2. For Take Over Mode, I use "Value Scaling" but I guess "Pickup" should be fine too. Then under that, in the Input and Output of the nanoKontrol2 select "Track" and "Remote" for both rows.

To revert the changes in the Korg Editor simply go File>Open, load the file you saved before editing and then Communication>Write Scene Data and voilá!
And you are good to go, hope it helps!
Last edited by dynamiiic on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 am

:D
Thanx dynamiiic.
I'll try this as soon as I can

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Fri May 10, 2013 3:50 am

IT's REALLY REALLY great !!
I have to get used to it but it's taking the nanoK2 to another level !
I love the CTRL mode and the lock device that gets the 8knobs going on the Plugin mapping ! :P

Altough there might be some suggestions soon... :wink: (like the panners that are missings)

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah i forgot panning, lets see how i will incorporate it back in a next version, waiting your suggestions then!
That would be great funken! Thanks! :) About the review, its better ask someone who tried and used it to do it and not its creator :)

escmode

Post by escmode » Sun May 19, 2013 1:16 pm

.. I'm looking at alternatives to the BCR2000 which I can't get configured. Is the KorgNano control easier to set-up and with your template here, would I be able to control Lives Devices... but dynamically, meaning the knobs will auto-map to the parameters of any selected Live Device? Thanks.

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Sun May 19, 2013 5:38 pm

escmode wrote:.. I'm looking at alternatives to the BCR2000 which I can't get configured. Is the KorgNano control easier to set-up and with your template here, would I be able to control Lives Devices... but dynamically, meaning the knobs will auto-map to the parameters of any selected Live Device? Thanks.
Hi escmode, you have a little tutorial some replies above on how to setup the nanoKontrol2 and the remote script to work. The Control Mode in this script is about Live devices, but i wrote it to use with instrument and audio racks not with eg. Operator, Analog, or any audio FXs. If you lock it to any of this devices the knobs will lock to 8 parameters and you can't change them now with this script (I will try to implement devices banks in the future).

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Mon May 20, 2013 12:47 am

dynamiiic wrote:If you lock it to any of this devices the knobs will lock to 8 parameters and you can't change them now with this script .
if you take time to rack and map the 8 knobs. It does really a good job on any kind of device...

thx again

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Thu May 23, 2013 3:56 pm

erikomic wrote:
dynamiiic wrote:If you lock it to any of this devices the knobs will lock to 8 parameters and you can't change them now with this script .
if you take time to rack and map the 8 knobs. It does really a good job on any kind of device...

thx again
I'll try to implement that in a next version. 8)

SBRK

Post by SBRK » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Great script ! A few suggestions/questions :
- Is it possible to update leds in real time in default mode (launch clips) ? When I add a clip, it does not show up on the nanoKontrol
- Can you put a visual feedback on which send is selected ? On my script I had the solo/mute/arm leds blink for a brief time. If send A is selected, only the leds from the first track blink, if the B is selected, leds from the first and second tracks blink, etc
- In a same way, could a clip be blinking on the nanoKontrol if it's currently playing ?

I also already fixed a thing that annoyed me : if you'd press the shift button, then the alt button, then the shift button again, it would not go back to shift mode, but go to the regular mode.
And I switched regular and shift mode because it's how I prefer it to work :)

I'm also considering getting an Ableton Push. Is it possible to link the Push and the nanoKontrol to have the tracks on the nanokontrol match those on the Push ?

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:40 pm

SBRK wrote:Great script ! A few suggestions/questions :
- Is it possible to update leds in real time in default mode (launch clips) ? When I add a clip, it does not show up on the nanoKontrol
- Can you put a visual feedback on which send is selected ? On my script I had the solo/mute/arm leds blink for a brief time. If send A is selected, only the leds from the first track blink, if the B is selected, leds from the first and second tracks blink, etc
- In a same way, could a clip be blinking on the nanoKontrol if it's currently playing ?

I also already fixed a thing that annoyed me : if you'd press the shift button, then the alt button, then the shift button again, it would not go back to shift mode, but go to the regular mode.
And I switched regular and shift mode because it's how I prefer it to work :)

I'm also considering getting an Ableton Push. Is it possible to link the Push and the nanoKontrol to have the tracks on the nanokontrol match those on the Push ?
Hey SBRK, i'm glad you enjoyed the script! About the suggestions:
Yeah, it is (I guess) possible to update in real time! Most of the time I spent writing this script was on the clip launch. I wasted a lot of time in this because I couldn't get the leds to work. I wanted them to flash while playing/recording, led on while clip stopped and off when there was no clip. I got this working but not in real time and had a little weird behavior, so I dropped that and moved forward! That "add clip" thing also needs to be added, thanks for reminding!

The visual feedback thing is a good suggestion, but it will be a little tricky to implement IMO. You can have up to 12 return tracks and NK2 have 8 tracks, meaning you will have visual feedback only to 8 sends. You can say 8 tracks is enough return tracks, but how about when you are using the launch clips feature and you go up and down the sends and you see those leds blinking, it might be confusing. But i'm confident we'll get an idea to workaround this and get it work!

I haven't working/using the NK2 lately, thought I had killed that bug but looks like i didn't or at least I didn't saved it! Can you please send me that piece of code so I can include it?

About linking with the Push with the NK2, its possible! But it will required a lot of work modding the Push script to suit the NK2 script. I'm doing something similar with 2 NKs (TOPIC) in this topic and with the NK2 and LPD8 for myself.

Cheers

renderful

Post by renderful » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:44 am

Very cool of you for making and sharing this! It looks to be working decently with my NanoKontrol1 as well. Once I'm finished the mapping, I will ping back with my results on the NanoKontrol1 so that others may know if it's a solution. I know that the NanoKontrol1 doesn't support two way MIDI, but at least it will work for control.

Thank you.