Want to join an EDM producer mastermind group? (Now Closed)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jkibeats

Want to join an EDM producer mastermind group? (Now Closed)

Post by jkibeats » Thu May 09, 2013 12:27 am

UPDATE: The group is closed and no longer needs members. Sorry if you came to this late.
If you really want to join, send me a PM and I'll let you know when we can take on more people.

-Original Message-

A few producers and I are forming a mastermind group.

Any skill level is OK. At the minimum, however, you should know how to put together a track, even though it's not perfect.

One of the things I'd like to do is have weekly challenges, such as trying out new genres and incorporating different sounds in our tracks. At the end of the week, we can share the results and discuss. I may throw in a prize to sweeten things up. But it's really not about winning - more about improving and growing our craft.

We can add more things to the mix depending on how active people are.

If you're down, reply to this post. We'll give it a few days to see how much interest this gets and I'll send you a PM with details.

For starters, let us know:
-Favorite genres
-DAW(s) used
-Mac/Windows
-Soundcloud (if you have one)

PS. Be cool, please. No egos and douches.
Last edited by jkibeats on Sat May 11, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jkibeats

Re: Want to join an EDM producer mastermind group?

Post by jkibeats » Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 am

-Production Experience: Couple years. Went to music school, but the pace was a bit too slow for me, so I dropped it and went the self learning route.
-Favorite genres: Electro, Complextro, D&B, Glitch Hop
-DAW(s) used: Ableton
-Mac/Windows: Mac
-Soundcloud (if you have one): I haven't recorded much, but I put up the last couple tracks on a new soundcloud account. soundcloud.com/jkimusic

I've posted this up on a few forums and have been getting some interest through those and via pm, so it's definitely going to happen.

To keep the momentum going, I will only be selecting people who can go at this on a regular on-going basis. I'm only interested in working with people who are dedicated and really want to push to the next level, not part-timer, off again/on again types.

This doesn't mean you will be required to spend an insane amount of time on this. We all work at different paces and have lives outside of music. But we all have dreams, right?

When I went to music school, we were all assigned to make a new track each week. After each week, we'd have to play the track in front of the whole class. There was pressure and it motivated all of us to make better and better tracks each week. Going about things by myself, at my own pace, the pressure/motivation was nonexistent...and my production is suffering because of it. I feel that there are others out there that feel the same as I do. The purpose of this group is to put the motivation back and tap a little bit into our competitive nature.

I've been getting some feedback on how some don't like turning music production into a competition. I agree with that, but I think it can be done in a classy way to make things more fun and interesting. Everything will be done with good intention and there will be not belittling of someone for making a crummy track. Also, since a few are bound to have way higher production levels, while others are newer, so anyone who brings an ego or, on the opposite end, a depressed attitude...will be removed from the group.

The group will only consist of positive people who really want to grow in their production and be willing to help others if they can.

There will be feedback. There will be weekly track assignments. There will be remixing of each other's tracks. There will be friendly competition. There will be collaborations. And we will regularly go outside of our comfort zones.

Please only apply if you are serious. Half assers will make the group less effective. At the minimum, you will need to make 1 new track per week and provide honest feedback on our members' tracks. I will be limiting the group to a maximum of 6, but may increase that to 10 if it's determined that you'd be a good fit for the group.

If interested, drop a note here and we'll talk via pm.

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Thu May 09, 2013 4:10 am

I'm interested:

Boulder, CO
4-5 years experience, but on/off again
Downtempo/House/everything except Top 40 and Country
Ableton (soon Maschine too)
Mac
www.soundcloud.com/derekrusso

jkibeats

Post by jkibeats » Thu May 09, 2013 6:24 am

pm'd

I.Am.Sean

Post by I.Am.Sean » Thu May 09, 2013 7:05 am

This sounds like a great idea. It would be an awesome way of getting/sharing advice and constructive criticism.

Experience - I know the basics, been on and off for over a year
Genre's - Prog House, Chilled out stuff, Dubstep, Metal
Mac/Windows - Windows
DAW - Ableton
Soundcloud - Have an account but have never uploaded anything.

If need be I could setup a forum for us on a personal website of mine so that we can get this masterclass going.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Thu May 09, 2013 7:16 am

Sounds interesting

-Production Experience: Been playing keyboard, trumpet, and guitar my whole life. Got into ableton a couple years ago.
-Favorite genres: Dnb, Jazz, Glitch Hop, Electro
-DAW(s) used: Ableton
-Mac/Windows: PC
-Soundcloud: Maybe this group will encourage me to make one lol

jkibeats

Post by jkibeats » Thu May 09, 2013 7:31 am

pm'd you both

FrederikB

Post by FrederikB » Thu May 09, 2013 10:02 am

Like the idea!

-Production Experience: 2-3 years, play piano and guitar
-Favorite genres: Progressive House, Electro and whats nowadays called EDM (please don't hate on me :wink: )
-DAW(s) used: Live and Logic
-Mac/Windows: Mac
-Soundcloud (if you have one): have one but the tracks don't really display my current skill set so I prefer to let this out for now

Which platform do you want to use for the group to exchange and so on?

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu May 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Cool idea, I'll play. I love the idea of using group pressure to get things done.

-Production Experience: Studied music my whole life, 10+ years of experience as a live concert taper, then got into Live to learn to master my recordings, and just got sucked right down the rabbit hole.
-Favorite genres: Everything, but mostly interested in any kind of electronic music performed live. Currently kind of obsessed with Pretty Lights.
-DAW(s) used: Ableton Only, no plug ins except for T-Racks for mastering purposes.
-Mac/Windows: Windows
-Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/dialzero There's only 1 real track up there, but I like it. It's the first thing I've done that I really felt was an actual song.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Broomptish

Post by Broomptish » Thu May 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Ill do it on iPad just now so will post my soundcloud/details tomorrow but this sounds like something I could get involved in as I'm getting more and more time for production recently and I'm making lots of different styles, since 9 came out I've been finishing a lot more tracks, still amaeuritish but still challenges are good.

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:02 pm

-Location - Calgary Alberta Canada
-Production Experience - over six years
-Favorite genres - Progressice, House, electro
-DAW(s) used - Ableton
-Mac/Windows - Both
-Soundcloud (if you have one) soundcloud.com/modernmaestros
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

nennmichwieduwillst

Post by nennmichwieduwillst » Thu May 09, 2013 4:22 pm

would like to join. need a little bit pressure too;)

-germany
-some years dawlerning/synth/drumprogramming/fx-ing/djing, since a half year musictheory
-evry month a new style, till i found my own;)
-live/maschine/reaktor
-mac
-no cloud till yet
Peace. Freedom. Truth!

jkibeats

Post by jkibeats » Thu May 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Responded to everyone via pm.

Broomptish

Post by Broomptish » Fri May 10, 2013 5:06 am

Production Experience: On and off 10 years
Favorite genres: DNB, Jungle, ragga Jungle, ambient, techno, house
DAW(s) used: Abelton 9 suite and a few plug ins
Mac/Windows: Windows
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/david-obrien-8

I am on holiday between the 10th of June and the 31st of June so wont be available these days Im afraid, hope I can still get involved. Thanks

jkibeats

Post by jkibeats » Fri May 10, 2013 8:07 am

pm'd

The open invitation is closing tomorrow and we begin this weekend.