Having latency only on one project?! how come?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JorgeHill

Having latency only on one project?! how come?

Post by JorgeHill » Fri May 10, 2013 2:08 am

Hi guys, recently i finished a song, started working on the live set for performance, then i realized i was having some latency issues with my mpkmini and the triton korg i use as midi controller sometimes. Started going crazy about what was happening, then i started to open other projects i have for live perf and realized i had no latency with those! how can this happen? it's driving me crazy, can't find any info.

It's not a particularly heavy project, in fact i'm using more samples than running vsts that i use on other projects without problems, i even froze 6 tracks that don't need live manipulation leaving just the 3 tracks i play with live, but, naaah, that didn't help either...

HALP! puh-lease...

jasefos

Re: Having latency only on one project?! how come?

Post by jasefos » Fri May 10, 2013 2:34 am

If you're getting noticably higher latency with a specific project then most likely there is one plugin in use somewhere in the project which requires a higher than normal buffer size to work its magic. Typical culprits: convolution based DSP (with the exception of NI's Reflektor reverb within Guitar Rig), look ahead compressorS, linear phase EQs.

On the Options menu, if Enable Delay Compensation is enabled, disable it ...

Study up on what PDC (Plug In Delay Compensation) is in the Live manual.

Hope the above explanation helps!
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

JorgeHill

Post by JorgeHill » Tue May 14, 2013 8:24 am

thanks a lot Jasefos, in fact it was a mix of both problems, disabling delay compensation worked, but disabling izotope ozone 4 on the master made it. It's a shame, though, i use it in the master for all my projects, just love that sweet output mastered, i guess i'll have to work with some native plugins to get a good master out for live performance :(

thanks!

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate » Wed May 15, 2013 12:49 am

I had a similar problem in a Live 9 live set - bad latency when using FabFilter Volcano 2 in a live set with a LOT of plugins.

I found that turning Delay Compensation OFF removed the delay, but Ableton advised me to also try with Delay Compensation ON and Reduce Delay when Monitoring ticked (on the menu just below Delay Compensation).
Core i7 2.3GHz|Win7x64|8GB|1.5TB & Core 2 Duo T7200, XP Pro SP3,
Nio 2|4, Edirol PCR800, NanoKontrol , Komplete Synths + Reaktor 5, Cameleon, Alchemy, FabFilter 2 suite
http://www.myspace.com/richardlyallmusic http://craftycurate.blogs.com