Another user of the BCR2000 confused with Ableton Set-up

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
escmode

Another user of the BCR2000 confused with Ableton Set-up

Post by escmode » Sat May 18, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm trying to set-up the BCR to work with Ableton. It's kind of bewildering. It's not responding in a well behaved way... and it's giving me a headache.

I have selected the BCR template in Preferences > Mdid/Sync. (Input & Output + Remote are all activated).
I know that with this preset Abletons Device Parameters are controlled by the top 8 push encoders,and the top key buttons on the BCR select the 1-8 function banks. The BCR is sending data because ableton does respond on some random parameters (although in no logical sense that I've figured out yet) but not responding according to the way Mappings are set-up with the Ablton template (I checked the 'Control Surface Reference' help file in Ableton)

For example, I go to the ableton Device 'Analog', select Bank 1 on the BCR and move the top encoders, but Analog doesn't respond... same if I select Bank 2 which should move the 'Analog's' filters... but it doesn't respond. (I do have the Analog device selected with the little blue hand)

Question: Do I need to Dump the Ableton script to the BCR for it to work correctly? I've done this already and the lights on the BCR spin around like you would expect, but then at the last moment I get an Er22 error message.. So I presume the dump failed?? I've tried 2 usb cables and 2 different usb ports on my computer - same thing.

Any ideas?

Question 2: I do have BC Manager, but shouldn't the BCR be able to work 'straight outta the box' with Abelton's included script/template?

Thanks for any words of wisdom you can throw my way. I thought this would be a lot simpler...

Pat

Fat_Stanley

Re: Another user of the BCR2000 confused with Ableton Set-up

Post by Fat_Stanley » Sat May 18, 2013 6:30 pm

I got mine to function as expected with the Live preset by using the dump button, no Er22. Might be worth checking the BCR2000 manual to see if there's a description of that particular error in case it highlights something specific to your setup.

I'd also recommend this: http://www.nativekontrol.com/MapEase_Series.html

I know you've mentioned trying to avoid using BC Manager and I've never tried it, but it's super easy to customise the way your BCR2000 interacts with Live using MapEase.

escmode

Post by escmode » Sat May 18, 2013 11:06 pm

Ok, I'm making some progress...I tried a 3rd USB cable and got it to Dump successfully with no Er22 error message.

So now, using 'Analog' as an example again...in Preset 1 with the 1st Key selected in Encoder Group (top left button) the 8 push encoders now successfully adjust the Oscillators in Analog.... but when I switch to the next function bank ( #2 - Filters) nothing happens. No response.
Fat_Stanley wrote:I got mine to function as expected with the Live preset by using the dump button, no Er22.
Fat Stanley, Can you please confirm which buttons on the BCR I need to press to acces the next bank of mappings... it is the top row keys/buttons? when I do this.. nothing happens they don't light-up on the BCR, and I read in the Ableton help file that when changing banks Live's status bar will list the control surface, device and the bank. That aint happening either.... gah. technology. 8O

Also, does the Ableton Dump go to Preset 1 on the BCR? Do I need to save that before switching it off? (I'm presuming yes... I'm being dumb, I know )

Fat_Stanley

Post by Fat_Stanley » Sun May 19, 2013 2:38 am

To switch mapping banks I press the row of buttons beneath the rotary encoders and each one I press generates a message in the status bar to let me know which bank I've switched to. Then turning the rotary encoders controllers the parameters in that bank. Not sure what's going wrong your end, sorry dude. You can store the Ableton dump in whichever preset number you like. :)

escmode

Post by escmode » Sun May 19, 2013 2:47 am

Fat_Stanley wrote:To switch mapping banks I press the row of buttons beneath the rotary encoders and each one I press generates a message in the status bar to let me know which bank I've switched to. Then turning the rotary encoders controllers the parameters in that bank. Not sure what's going wrong your end, sorry dude. You can store the Ableton dump in whichever preset number you like. :)

Thanks maan, so that's confirmed what i thought... for me, only the 1st mapping bank (1st top left button) is working. Frustratingly, it's probably just a setting I've overlooked somewhere.. gah! when is Push going to be shipping? (that's a genuine question btw ;-)