You can only rent Adobe software going forward

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Komodovaran

Re: You can only rent Adobe software going forward

Post by Komodovaran » Sun May 12, 2013 8:13 pm

footsy wrote:It will still get cracked no doubt about the only thing that hasn't been cracked for full is WoW and other games like that.

You can play a sandbox or private server but can't play on their servers.
Wrong. There are several non-Blizzard servers for WoW which are just as densely populated and lively as the official ones.

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Sun May 12, 2013 8:41 pm

billiejeanbeatit wrote:
earthloop wrote:And now Apple are joining in with a change from an 'ownership' model to a subscription one. Apple are about to change Applecare from a product owned by the purchaser (it was attached to the machine) to a subscription (it is attached to the person.

IMO, this negates one of the great side benefits to buying Applecare: it was great for when you want to sell an apple hardware product like a computer...if it has some applecare time left it makes your computer a good buy for a potential buyer. You could effectively sell it with a warranty.

This quote from Mac Rumours:

"The site also says Apple will be changing its AppleCare service -- which currently attaches to individual devices, requiring customers to buy a new AppleCare plan for each computer and iOS device they purchase -- into a subscription service that will attach to a particular customer instead of a product. Apple's One to One program works in a similar manner."

:x
As long as the cost breaks down to like $3 to $6 a month, I am all for this.
I am betting it will be more like $20 a month, to cover people with multiple devices...or they will charge per device. Apple hasn't become one of the biggest, richest corporations in the world for nothing.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sat May 18, 2013 11:41 pm

I like to own my software even though none of us own the software. Atleast I know I've paid for Live and then that's it until the next upgrade.

Adobe though is £500 to buy for each one then they upgrade it every year and it keeps going un compatible with every OS release forcing you to upgrade. Adobe illustrator is £28 per month OUCH!.

But if you want illustrator just to make your music name logo or album cover just for that month it costs £28 instead of paying £500.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 20, 2013 6:16 pm

all they're doing is forcing the "Pros" to a subscription based model while effectively forcing the rest of the hobbyists and such to move to Adobe's competition... it means that while Adobe (being the little bitch ass company that it has been since their True Type Font fits that lead to OpenFace fonts) wants to control the software once and for all... they are actually forcing the rise of alternatives. in 5 years they'll be struggling to figure out how to keep their no alternative status as their virtual monopoly undoes itself naturally.

there was a time when a little DAW called Live couldn't possibly take anything from Pro-Tools/Avid's pocket... several million copies and some famous artists later...

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon May 20, 2013 7:03 pm

To be fair they did giveaway CS2 to the "hobbyists" earlier this year. Out of the goodness of their hearts, and not at all to completely mess with the competition.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon May 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Adobe makes no money - nor have they ever made any money - from the Hobbyists.

Not even enough to put gas in the car.

:lol:

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon May 20, 2013 7:47 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Adobe makes no money - nor have they ever made any money - from the Hobbyists.
Elements? :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 pm

you scoff at the name "hobbyists", yet you call anyone who isn't a "Pro" a hobbyist... so the point stands... anyone who isn't using the software to make %100 living for themselves or through the firm they work for is essentially a "hobbyist" in that model... i beg to differ that they don't make any money through this crowd. i also stand by my sentiment that they will make 100% less of that income with their new model.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 20, 2013 8:08 pm

actually fuck it... i'll give an example... i went to school for Visual Communication and as such received accreditation/certs for Web Design, Graphic Design, Digital Imaging, Computer Illustration, and Typography... to name a few... because of this background my current employer, whom i do IT and Template Design for, decided to cash in on my other skill sets from time to time. I have CS4 Design Premium installed on the PC i'm typing this from... a one time, cringe evoking, fee for software to aid in projects was swallowed as a cost of doing business... a monthly fee would never have nor will ever be. so, had Adobe been using this model a few years ago they would not have received the 1600+ USD that they did. surely, i'm not the only one.

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon May 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Yeah I think visuals stuff is a lot like music. Some people/hobbyists will throw obscene amounts of dosh at the kit. I hate that consumeri... Well it's not consumerism, it's more like self-coercion. Back when there was an economy, some folks were taking out big big loans to bag some 3D app, only to find out learning and using the thing is harder than buying it.

(Using CS2. Slightly envious of your Illustrator CS4 bubble brush!)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 20, 2013 9:07 pm

^ well, you too can have one for a mere £28 a month!

huh! huh? whadda deal!

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon May 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Not to mention the subscription is yearly...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 pm

^ exactly. so it's worse... it's not like you can hammer out that logo or type set that brochure to your den of inequity and get the job done in a few weeks...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 pm

^ That I don't like. Advertise it as $500/year or STFU.
Unsound Designer

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon May 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Digital sharecropping!