You can only rent Adobe software going forward

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
littlepig

Re: You can only rent Adobe software going forward

Post by littlepig » Tue May 21, 2013 7:36 am

If you are a hobbyist use GIMP?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue May 21, 2013 8:16 am

littlepig wrote:If you are a hobbyist use GIMP?
you need to be motivated to use GIMP.. there's a lot of headfuck involved in getting up to speed

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue May 21, 2013 12:24 pm

ffs.

:lol:

I'll repeat, Adobe makes no money from hobbyists or students. They never have. Those groups combined are probably less than 15% of their total revenue. I don't know how to put this any other way but IF YOU'RE A HOBBYIST ADOBE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU AND THEY NEVER HAVE. ffs.

Adobe Photoshop has always ranked as one of the most pirated bits of software on the planet. Those cracked versions are by and large NOT in the hands of Power Users.

The subscription model is the only way that Adobe will survive as a company, period. There are now iPad and Android apps that will do essentially what Elements will do - for less than $10. Picasa has many of the same features, and it's FREE FFS. The video editing capabilities in apps will be incredible in a few years.

Price. The cost breakdown puts the CC at a lower price than box copies. For even a semi-Pro user this is a SAVINGS.

ffs

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Tue May 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Is anyone disagreeing with you? Apart from you wit ya zero = 15% math :lol: CC is about Annualized Recurring Revenue. We get it, we don't have to love it. The savings argument best applies to regular upgraders. Some can't or won't, and it's not just a pro v hobby argument. Flash animation houses often don't upgrade for years; some are still on Macromedia versions 8O

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue May 21, 2013 4:22 pm

yeah, i'm not disagreeing... not convinced entirely on the 15% math either, but everyone knows that 67% of statistics are made up on the spot. or is it 84%... or 52%?
actually, i it's D. All of the Above.

we also know that as douchebag companies go in the world of software... Adobe is the king of douchebag companies. this is not new. they're O.D. (original douche). the entire Apple AND Microsoft douche model was created with one thought in mind: "it'll take a long time, but one day maybe we can be as douchey as Adobe"

everyone knows that time will probably never come, but it's good to have goals.

any way you slice it... even 15% can be a big chunk of change... and i still think that the migration from Adobe products just has a more clear off ramp after this. i get it that it's good for some people... and those people can pat themselves on the back and tell themselves that they know just how important they are each year when Adobe debits their account and allows them to remain Pros for another trip around the sun. profit margins will tell the rest of the story.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed May 22, 2013 1:49 pm

lowshelf wrote:We get it,

I don't think you do. Otherwise the thread would have been over by now.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed May 22, 2013 1:51 pm

BY THE WAY I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST HOBBYISTS. YOU GUYS ROCK. SERIOUSLY. ROOOOOCK.

:x

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Wed May 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Hobbyist: Purchases an entire bundle of software for a massive outlay, toys about with it, doesn't really understand it, neglects it, drifts onto something else shiny and toyish.
Adobe: Purchases entire Macromedia product suite for a massive outlay, toys about with it (superficial UI tweaks), neglects it (e.g. Flash as leading edge animation tool), ultimately abandons it (e.g. Fireworks), drifts onto something else shiny and toyish (Dreamweaver > Edge).
Conclusion: Adobe = Hobbyist Inc.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed May 22, 2013 6:38 pm

^ :lol:

c'mon LSZ... you have to admit lowshelf might be onto something.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 pm

lowshelf wrote:Hobbyist: 80% of whom use cracked versions - Adobe Photoshop being one of the most pirated titles in the history of software according to a PC mag article from a few years back.
Adobe: Purchases entire Macromedia product suite for a massive outlay, toys about with it (superficial UI tweaks), neglects it (e.g. Flash as leading edge animation tool), ultimately abandons it (e.g. Fireworks), drifts onto something else shiny and toyish (Dreamweaver > Edge).
Conclusion: Adobe = Hobbyist Inc.

Fixed.

Your welcome.

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Fri May 24, 2013 7:13 am

Forge wrote
you need to be motivated to use GIMP.. there's a lot of headfuck involved in getting up to speed
What more than involved getting up to speed with photoshop?

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Tue May 28, 2013 12:41 am

Adobe is doing about a 95% hatred rate. Eff them. CS5/6 will be the last for many.

Hope they've hung themselves. By the time current products can't be used in years from now, others will have filled the void

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed May 29, 2013 3:29 pm

I think this is a horrible idea. Monthly bill from Adobe? Fuck that.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed May 29, 2013 4:31 pm

^ oh don't worry. it's an annual bill... because annual and anal sound alike Adobe prefer to give it to you that way.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed May 29, 2013 5:53 pm

murgatroid wrote:By the time current products can't be used in years from now, others will have filled the void

From a 'power user' standpoint, I highly doubt that... Not many have arisen over the past 15 years to challenge Adobe, and that's not likely to change now. Those that have cropped up find themselves in a very low share of the market. Vegas, combustion, etc. meh. Extremely small user base.

The truly fucking retarded part of this is that something like CS6 will be viable as a set of tools for a DECADE OR MORE.

FFS.

All this bitching and whining. omfg. I know people that are still on CS1 FOR FUCK'S SAKE; released in 2003. There's no reason they can't keep using it for another 10 years.

omfg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: