Live 9 Automation Points.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Michael Hatsis

Re: Live 9 Automation Points.....

Post by Michael Hatsis » Wed May 22, 2013 11:24 am

pencilrocket wrote:
H20nly wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:It should be able to be done by temporarily pressing 'ctrl'.
i dunno bro... i think i'd rather double click than have to use two hands... and look at the keyboard to get started.
That's what we call inefficiency. Sacrificing the prioritized operation: one click note creation for the auxiliary operation: select tool. But both behavior could be coexist in each mode if someone need.
Selection is the prioritized operation for some people. Thats how i work, i select stuff and duplicate it- option+drag...
Hence the reason this single click automation stuff messes w my workflow...
Mike

vanhaze

Post by vanhaze » Wed May 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Offtopic,

But i am so sick and tired of folks who brutally dish macableton cause of his "insanity" for shortcuts and speeding up workflow and so called propaganda for Ikey on mac.

I don't give a damn if this guy earns big money on Ikey or not.
This guy has a great website full of insane usefull Live tips for free which helped me alot.
I personally can't get enough of his shotcuts tips and tricks, cause shortcuts are the key to speeding up workfow and should be for every one, in my opinion.

And yes, i am gonna buy ikeys for sure and learn how to use it.
I always have had an addiction for keyboard shortcuts and this addiction is feeded through macableton's tips and tricks.

And no, i am in no way related to the guy, but i do have great respect for the effort he puts in his website and this forum.

Amen.
Rob van Hees
Macbook Pro 15", 8 Gig Ram, Mavericks 10.9, Novation Impulse, Maschine MKII, Live 9.1 (latest beta 64bit), Logic Pro X 10.04, Protools 11.02, just too many plugins.

William

Post by William » Wed May 22, 2013 10:49 pm

vanhaze wrote:Offtopic,

But i am so sick and tired of folks who brutally dish macableton cause of his "insanity" for shortcuts and speeding up workflow and so called propaganda for Ikey on mac.

This guy has a great website full of insane usefull Live tips for free which helped me alot.
I personally can't get enough of his shotcuts tips and tricks, cause shortcuts are the key to speeding up workfow and should be for every one, in my opinion.

I always have had an addiction for keyboard shortcuts and this addiction is feeded through macableton's tips and tricks.

And no, i am in no way related to the guy, but i do have great respect for the effort he puts in his website and this forum.

Amen.
I agree. Macableton is an incredibly useful site.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu May 23, 2013 6:04 am

Michael Hatsis wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:
H20nly wrote: i dunno bro... i think i'd rather double click than have to use two hands... and look at the keyboard to get started.
That's what we call inefficiency. Sacrificing the prioritized operation: one click note creation for the auxiliary operation: select tool. But both behavior could be coexist in each mode if someone need.
Selection is the prioritized operation for some people. Thats how i work, i select stuff and duplicate it- option+drag...
Mike
Currently it has select mode as default. I said each mode would be able to coexist. But primal operation in piano roll is creating midi note by drawing & recording. Then select some of them. You don't select blank. For the nature of piano roll creating notes always comes first. That's why I described it with the word prioritized.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu May 23, 2013 7:03 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:
Sibanger wrote:I am on PC, so you don't have to worry about preaching to me about your fanatical mouse hating 3rd party iKey regime.
Sorry Fran, but I am so sick of reading about it.....
Good, I'm glad you are on PC. I'm glad you are sick of hearing ways to solve people's problems. I'm glad you enjoy telling everyone that. I expect everyone reading this is thrilled you told them that. I'm very happy for you.
I think you are over reacting Fran. I just expressed my opinion to you.
Funk N. Furter wrote:I'm a bit scared to tell you now, because Silbanger, who is the most important person on this forum, is sick of hearing about it, so I'll just whisper...

Now you are just being immature.
Last edited by Sibanger on Thu May 23, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu May 23, 2013 7:03 am

vanhaze wrote:Offtopic,

Amen.
That's great. I'm happy for you that Fran's hard work has assisted your workflow.
I have never dished on the Macableton website. I am just over the constant spamming of it on this forum.
I don't care if he makes any money from his shortcut business either. Good luck.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu May 23, 2013 11:38 am

Please stop sending me threatening PMs funken.

You seem to take my comments way out of context.

That is all.

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Thu May 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Come on guys, this is getting silly. I started this thread to make a simple point which has been addressed in great depth (Thanks to all for the constructive feedback)

It's now going way off topic and getting a little silly. Let's all relax and make some chill out music. Seriously, let's do it!

How about we continue by posting links to the finished article?! I'm frickin serious guys! I've never attempted to make this style before but always wanted to. Let's turn this into a challenge and see what happens!

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri May 24, 2013 12:47 am

pencilrocket wrote:
Michael Hatsis wrote:
pencilrocket wrote: That's what we call inefficiency. Sacrificing the prioritized operation: one click note creation for the auxiliary operation: select tool. But both behavior could be coexist in each mode if someone need.
Mike
Currently it has select mode as default. I said each mode would be able to coexist. But primal operation in piano roll is creating midi note by drawing & recording. Then select some of them. You don't select blank. For the nature of piano roll creating notes always comes first. That's why I described it with the word prioritized.
Make one note by double clicking...option drag it...now you have two notes...option drage those..now you have four...option drag those.....try it...super quick...
also, why are you having to click so much with the draw tool? 1 key command to turn it on...get your notes in there...1 keystroke to turn it off.

Mike

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri May 24, 2013 9:22 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:I just made a shortcut that makes the Draw Tool function, but while it's held down. That's what you wanted wasn't it? I really like it, gonna start using it all the time.
Thanks it would be fairly better. I'd like primal tool as default and assistant tool as temporary - click to draw & ctrl to select (in Draw mode).
Michael Hatsis wrote:Make one note by double clicking...option drag it...now you have two notes...option drage those..now you have four...option drag those.....try it...super quick...
also, why are you having to click so much with the draw tool? 1 key command to turn it on...get your notes in there...1 keystroke to turn it off.

Mike
First of all, I think, select&drag to get 2 or 3 notes isn't practical, and before we drag notes we make some riff or chords beforehand by drawing some notes. Then [drag, ctrl+click+drag] as you said. Double clicking to get the primary job done is always PITA personally. (That would be the reason why they added Draw tool though it requires user to switch back and forth just to select...)

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri May 24, 2013 9:52 am

pencilrocket wrote:
Michael Hatsis wrote:Make one note by double clicking...option drag it...now you have two notes...option drage those..now you have four...option drag those.....try it...super quick...

Mike
First of all, I think, select&drag to get 2 or 3 notes isn't practical, and before we drag notes we make some riff or chords beforehand by drawing some notes. Then [drag, ctrl+click+drag] as you said. Double clicking to get the primary job done is always PITA personally. (That would be the reason why they added Draw tool though it requires user to switch back and forth just to select...)
Nah', i dont do chords. Either way, u can do whatever u want. Thats how i work and i don't have any problems with gettin stuff done fast.