Browser organization tips

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

Browser organization tips

Post by re:dream » Fri May 24, 2013 7:06 am

Hello all

There seems to be a fair bit of controversy around the new browser. Some of it must be well founded, otherwise people wouldn't complain, but a fair bit of might be just the 'getting used to new stuff' blues.

I know that once I started learning how to use the browser, some of my initial problems disappeared.

So I would like to suggest a space for 'how to'tips on using the new browser efficiently. Not for complaining about it. Don't get me wrong: if you want to vent about the new browser, you should, but preferably in another thread.

What I am interested is how to's, work-arounds, tips and guidance about how to get the most out of the new browser. From what I have seen on some tutorials (e.g. Oakenfeld's recently for Point Blank) this might be useful for Push users too.

I think this may also help us think more clearly about what particular changes DO need to be made (what are the difficulties that are particularly difficult to work around etc etc)

SuburbanThug

Re: Browser organization tips

Post by SuburbanThug » Fri May 24, 2013 7:19 am

Funken's got a decent tutorial.

Post by re:dream » Fri May 24, 2013 10:01 am

I know. I found it very helpful. But I would like to learn how ppl are using the functionality, trips, tricks, etc etc

Post by re:dream » Fri May 24, 2013 10:15 am

OK, here goes, I will share how I use it. I am not a power user :oops: but I seem to not be experiencing some of the hassles others do.

- I find the User library a particularly useful space. I have moved all the existing folders (clips, defaults, presets) in the library out of the way (bundled them all in a folder called 0ther stuff, with a zero instead of an O so it is autosorted to sit at the top at the top) and created folders that basically mirror sounds (Bass, Pads, etc etc) and fx; and I basically use it as a favourites folder.

This means all my favourite presets are a two mouse clicks away. Also my sounds show up at the appropriate places in the Sounds category. As per Funken's instructions, I make sure that the folders have the same name as the folders in the Sounds category, capital letters and all. A bass sound, even if it does not have the word 'bass' in the preset name, still shows up in the Bass folder in the Sounds category. This is awesome. The only thing I would love to have added here is to be able to audition it like the core library sounds.

- I also have a folder called tracks in which I put all my default tracks with the track defaults set up the way I like it (e.g. for when I have to use an external instrument or Reason).

- as I keep saying :oops: I keep the user library file and my sets in a dropbox folder and thus sync my music instantly between computers. No more using collect all and save. Any preset / sample I make and save on one computer instantly appears on the others. And it shows up instantly in my places without having to rescan.

- I keep all my samples collection (not a very big one, I admit) in a another dropbox folder & access them through an added folder under places. Earlier on I made the mistake of keeping my samples within Live's own sample directory (this was a sensible position in Live 8) but if you do this in Live 9 you can't add it to my places. When I use them for multisamples, many of these samples also seem to end up in the Live user library. This seems a little wasteful, but it does means that there is less risk of samples getting lost or going offline.

- Some audio I keep outside the Live browser and library structure altogether. For example 'source files' (podcasts, etc etc) that I use to 'harvest' sound clips for later use in Live; and also final mixdowns from complete tracks. They are not on dropbox, are not synced, and don't appear in my Live categories etc mainly for reasons of saving space

Anyway, those are some of the arrangements that in general make me a very happy Live 9 browser user. I hope some of you find them useful or can add other tips and tricks 8)

naburo

Post by naburo » Fri May 24, 2013 12:20 pm

can someone post the link to Funkens tutorial, please?
Setup:
Ableton L11 beta, MAX8, Push2, Monome, Guitars and Kemper-Amp

soundcloud, blog, twitter

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:21 pm

The Finn wrote:OK, here goes, I will share how I use it. I am not a power user :oops: but I seem to not be experiencing some of the hassles others do.

- I find the User library a particularly useful space. I have moved all the existing folders (clips, defaults, presets) in the library out of the way (bundled them all in a folder called 0ther stuff, with a zero instead of an O so it is autosorted to sit at the top at the top) and created folders that basically mirror sounds (Bass, Pads, etc etc) and fx; and I basically use it as a favourites folder.
The folders with the basically sounds ( Bass, Pads, etc), are they placed in the Other stuff folder, or are they separately in the user library?

Post by re:dream » Fri May 24, 2013 3:31 pm

All my favourites are in the 'root' of the user library. It's just easier to access them there. Earlier I had a specific favourites folder but this way it's one click less.

Post by re:dream » Fri May 24, 2013 3:32 pm

naburo wrote:can someone post the link to Funkens tutorial, please?

http://www.macableton.com/Ableton_live_ ... owser.html