parameters assigned to controller are lost after restart

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ser_Yo

parameters assigned to controller are lost after restart

Post by Ser_Yo » Sun May 26, 2013 1:30 am

Hello Abletonians,

I am new to all here.
Wow, so much to learn.
Well, I am trying to assign some parameters of plugins and vst to the knobs of my controllers.
But both with Novation Impulse 49 and with Behringer BCR2000, I am able to assign all correctly but when I close Ableton and reopen it again, puff, aal is lost, I must reassign again.
I do like this:
plugins: I press MIDI, then I click on the parameter I want to assign, and then I turn the knob on the controller. Then I press MIDI again.
VST (for example Albino, or Minimog by Arturia): I select CONFIGURE, I click on the parameters on the vst, then I press MIDI and I do as said above.
And well, all works fine, but as said, when I restart Ableton all is lost.
Why?
:(
I have the latest Ableton 8 suite.

EDIT: a friend just told me, that it is not possible to do this on a general basis, but only on a project basis.
Is this true?
I wanted to do it generally, to assign those parameters of that synth to those knobs of the controller, so that everytime I will use that synth in any new project the parameters will be already assigned.
No possible???
Last edited by Ser_Yo on Sun May 26, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nbinder

Re: parameters assigned to controller are lost after restart

Post by nbinder » Sun May 26, 2013 1:31 am

MIDI mappings are saved per project, not on a global basis.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun May 26, 2013 2:34 am

There are a lot of workarounds. And it depends on a lottttt of factors.

For starters, there is 'Control Surface' in the midi preferences tab. That gives a controller basic control over channel volumes, and various other things.

Another thing to be aware of is what they call 'blue hand control'. The concept with that is, any device you choose, a blue hand shows up on the title bar of that device. When that happens, if you set things up for it, your controller just happens to have control of that device.

Next is 'Automap' from Novation. That basically 'wraps' vsts and your controller (Novation products only) can control stuff with that.

Finally, a lot of vsts let you midi assign within the vst. If you can get that worked out on them and save it through the vst itsel, that is a nice option. For vst effects though, you need to route a midi channel to the effect in order to do this. And I don't think it is realistic.

With the blue hand option, you can embed anything into a Rack, and assign things to the 8 macros for instant control.

Okay, one last thing, and a great thing to start out with:
You can create a live set and place things you think you will Always use into it, set things exactly the way you plan to use them. And assign stuff in your preferred way. Then in Preferences Save it as your default set. When you do that, it will retain those setting for every New project you start (they won't be there on old projects)

The main reason I did not mention the last one first is because the first one works better for 'me'. I feel it is more ideal. But in the end, it really comes down to what YOU think is best for your workflow. Be ruthless.

Ser_Yo

Post by Ser_Yo » Sun May 26, 2013 8:05 pm

Thank you both!

Yur, in the control surface I have the three controllers properly set up (Impulse, Launchpad, BCR).
For the BCR I even selected "dump".
But this does not let me personalize the parameters assignation. So if in a plugin I want to assign parameters in a different way then the one Ableton chooses, I have to do it manually and this is what I did, but as said, it does not work on a general basis.
And for external vst like Minimoog, it does not work at all.
Correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I have noticed.
The blue hand, yes, I have seen I can assign that plugin to a particular controller, but once again, and again correct me in casse I mistake, this does not let me personalize, and it is still project based.
What I did is what now I read that you suggested me. Yeah, I suppose it was kinda obvious choice. I created a start project where I will put the vst and plugin I will use most. And I will personalize them and save the project. Then when I need to open a new project I start opening this one.

Cool. Complicated anyway.
I am looking forward to this new program which someone told me about, made by ex people of Ableton plus someone of Cubase, and which should supposedly put together the best of the two worlds.

But for now, I go on with Ableton.
Wow, so much to learn. I am spending nights and I feel I progress slowly.
Apart for the built in lessons do you know some good (free) set of tutorials to learn Ableton?
At the moment I use it mostly as music production tool. So the live dj stuff is not urgent to me, I can learn it later.

Cheers