Top 5 things I will regret after going from Live8 to Live9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nc2010

Re: Top 5 things I will regret after going from Live8 to Live9

Post by nc2010 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:33 pm

3osc wrote:
nc2010 wrote:So the browser seems to be the main problem...

BTW : is it possible to disable indexing ? I don't want Live to index all my 126 thousands of .wav files (lots of gigabytes)...

Is it possible to disable all indexing features?
No. The indexing will take a long time, so if you're planning on trying 9, just come to peace with that fact. Let it work overnight or something.
I cannot imagine it's impossible to disable indexing!
Is L9 forced to scan ALL hard drives connected to the PC?
You can always have a E:\ that you don't show to L9, no ?

And if you need samples from E:\, you just drag and drop it from Windows Explorer, right ?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:40 pm

[inane question edited] 8)

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:56 pm

nc2010 wrote: I cannot imagine it's impossible to disable indexing!
Is L9 forced to scan ALL hard drives connected to the PC?
You can always have a E:\ that you don't show to L9, no ?

And if you need samples from E:\, you just drag and drop it from Windows Explorer, right ?
There is no way to disable it. Of course you can drag and drop from explorer, but in order to see anything in the ableton browser (and have audio previews of clips in time) it must be indexed. There is no more random browsing to locations

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:40 am

solovox wrote: You could create clips in the studio or onstage with Record Quantization enabled...and if the Quantization ruined the feel or funk of the sequence, you could hit Undo and it would revert back to its natural state instantly. Otherwise you just leave it alone and bam: you're done.
you mean cmd-Z wasn't just erasing last take ? they were actually two separates "sequenced-events" ? 8O
Like Rec > midi notes > record quantize.
then UNDO1 = undo quantize
UNDO2 = Erase midi notes
never realizes it was doing it so "lively"... this sound like a supercool feature ! :P
don't see why they removed this... :x

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:17 pm

erikomic wrote:
solovox wrote: You could create clips in the studio or onstage with Record Quantization enabled...and if the Quantization ruined the feel or funk of the sequence, you could hit Undo and it would revert back to its natural state instantly. Otherwise you just leave it alone and bam: you're done.
you mean cmd-Z wasn't just erasing last take ? they were actually two separates "sequenced-events" ? 8O
Like Rec > midi notes > record quantize.
then UNDO1 = undo quantize
UNDO2 = Erase midi notes
never realizes it was doing it so "lively"... this sound like a supercool feature ! :P
don't see why they removed this... :x
Actually I think things like this should be options and not set in stone for everybody with different workflows to follow.

Me personally likes the one press of Ctrl z to remove the whole take. But I guess some people do like pressing Ctrl z once to get rid of quantization and then again to delete take.

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:49 pm

jlgrimes wrote:things like this should be options
+1
OPTIONS PLEASE ! (and a shortcut editor) + a new browser for christmas :)

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:02 am

kill the process and prohibit.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:00 pm

solovox wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:
solovox wrote:I am LIVID that they have removed the UNDO functionality of Record Quantization!! WHAT THE LIVING FUCK?? Being able to hit Ctrl-Z (or in my case a Midi command that sent CtrlZ) on-stage to Undo the quantization for a clip I just made...or not...was critical.

To remove this amazing feature (that I've bragged about to my students for years, btw) for the sake of PUSH (don't get me started) is just criminal. Almost considering going to back to 8.
Can you explain how this used to be useful? genuinely curious.
You could create clips in the studio or onstage with Record Quantization enabled...and if the Quantization ruined the feel or funk of the sequence, you could hit Undo and it would revert back to its natural state instantly. Otherwise you just leave it alone and bam: you're done.

In Live 9 with Quantization enabled, if you lay down a GREAT performance that is improperly affected by the Quantization, you're screwed. You have to turn Off the Quantization and then somehow REPEAT the performance.

Turning off Record Quantize and going all natural means you have to open up every single clip and manually apply it. Yeah...that's what crowd's want to watch. :(

This feature used to be one of the crowning jewels of the program. Something to shame the other companies to think 'why didn't we think of that?'. Now they remove it after years and years to sell a $500 launchpad that few will ever buy. Just stunned.
Ah right, I was unaware that was even available. Then again I'm not a player and I typically record with quantise off and then look at quantise options later. I agree it should be an options.txt deal.

login

Post by login » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:20 pm

It doesn't scan all drives, it just scan the folders/drives you add to the library.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:26 am

login wrote:It doesn't scan all drives, it just scan the folders/drives you add to the library.
I don't want Ableton scanning ANYTHING on my computer... these are just the first steps to New World Order!!!

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:57 am

I upgraded to Live 9 when it first came out and it didn't take "5 things" for me to realize and go back to a stable 32-bit Live 8. That "1 thing" for me was the Browser. Haven't touched Live 9 since.

bardoriver

Post by bardoriver » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:51 am

I tried writing a new track in 9. After two weeks of frustration with things already mentioned in this thread, I went back to 8.
8 works, and never holds me back. 9 killed my work flow, and hindered my creativity.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:13 pm

don,t have regrets.
no problems with indexing only the first time after installing 9 it took a few hours. (300GB audio/samples)
no problems with the browser. I have one big audio folder in which all the songs and audio/samples are put in subfolders.
don,t think that works much different then 8 in that way.

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 pm

bardoriver wrote:I tried writing a new track in 9... 9 killed my work flow, and hindered my creativity.
sounds like a very bad drug...or a good therapy :mrgreen:

nc2010

Post by nc2010 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:36 am

I downloaded the trial, and am trying L9.

About indexing : it seems that only folders that are in Browser > Places are indexed.

If you don't add your favorite 15'000 Terabytes folder of .wav to "PLACES", it won't be indexed, am I right ?

So if I don't want L9 to scan all my harddisk during a night, the solution is : don't add this folder to "PLACES", am I right ?