Ableton Live 9 - Dear God... No.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Quez

Re: Ableton Live 9 - Dear God... No.

Post by Quez » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:02 pm

I find it hard to believe that they will not come up with some kind of a fix for larger libraries down the road in some future upgrade.

camoz

Post by camoz » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:33 pm

hey,
god doesnt exist. so i will also no upgrade for god 9!! :mrgreen:

"I will not be upgrading.

PS. If you GAVE me a free upgrade, I would refuse it. THAT bad."[/quote]

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Angstrom wrote:So. There we go folks. Theres Nothing wrong with the browser because this guy says so, it's the users using it wrong.
Forget your destination, trust the bus driver.

Do you need to see creation date and media type at the same time?
No you don't

Do you need to put your own creations at the top of the menu, perhaps in your own bespoke folders?
No you don't

Do you want to use your established folder structure, or naming methods as a way of accessing your content?
No you don't

Do you expect to create your own data "category" filters, sort or hide the factory ones,create your own taxonomic classifications, drag your clips into "clips", search by date, search by partial match, search Boolean, have an actual non-hierarchic interface to the data?

Apparently : No you don't.

whenever a user has an issue with the browser, they are told "no you don't", you are doing it wrong.
It is NOT an issue of learning to use the system, or of the user throwing away old projects and content and conforming to a new way of working, it is an issue of a sub- par system which does not perform half as well as the underlying database would allow it to.

At some point I will make a detailed explanation of why they should not have used fixed hierarchical (OS filetree emulations) taxonomies for "sounds", and should have understood that properties and attributes should not be set as mutually exclusive when categorising mixed media content for a diverse userbase. Especially as the rest of the db is set up as a metadata - matavalue key: value system. It's nonsensical.

Let's say you are a mechanical engineer, and somebody asks you to get in their "new" car, and you can see that it's a "cut and shut" . Two sub frames welded into one car. The driver says "hey forget what you know, just get in, it will be great. Abandon your objections and get into my great car, that giant weld is meant to be there".

No. It will not be great. No, I will not get in
Excellent points! I seriously thought I was doing something incorrectly when I was unable to view "type" and "date" at the same time. I have no understanding of why it was designed this way.

We've been in Beta-Purchase for three months now, not sure what is going to get better... I try to always assume positive intent and realize there is a long list of issues they want/need to address. This is basic stuff they've apparently looked over or rushed.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:57 am

anstahc wrote:What drugs do I have to take to understand even one line of what Blendtron said?
Ouch ! Dude !!!

I blend tones, not trons ! Daft Punk tried and failed :mrgreen:
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:54 am

I use a large collection of multisampled kontakt instruments... not as much as the OP but probably 1 to 2 TB worth. Does this mean Live 9 will be pretty much unusable for me? A lot of film/tv/video game composers use very large multisampled libraries... does this mean Live 9 can't be used for scoring because of the new browser? 20 minutes to search for and load 1 instrument sounds insane.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:35 am

That's basically what it sounds like right now. I can't imagine they aren't working on this though. If you must use it I would just drag and drop things in on an as-needed basis until it gets worked out.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:47 am

I'll wait Live10 released with PULL and the browser will be modified for it. It's like improved ver. of Live 8's because PULL requires flexibility of the browser. PUSH forces you to go the way Live want but PULL won't.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:04 am

I loled

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:50 am

eyeknow wrote:I loled
You'll quickly use to unlol and think about redundancy as others are probably unsure when a new Blendton thing appears, if they will try to or not

Antoine, aka Blendton.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:08 am

Heh...

Wait,
what???

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:18 am

SuburbanThug wrote:Heh...

Wait,
what???
Exactly.

Level up man, you're so suave (sorry just re-watched David Lynch evrystuff recently ; maybe you even look like Dennis Hopmer in Blue Velvet when he says the suave thing to the king of suave Roy Orbison playback scene BTW I'm so crazy lol, what a pleasure being insane in what you want at the time you want to go insane like that then return to normal when bored, wtf did I try to tell here I won't try to guess lol
Antoine, aka Blendton.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:28 am

I am suave. And you can't take that away from me.

su

Post by su » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:What kind of shortcuts?
Folder not keyboard

scientist

Post by scientist » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:16 pm

UCAudio wrote:I use a large collection of multisampled kontakt instruments... not as much as the OP but probably 1 to 2 TB worth. Does this mean Live 9 will be pretty much unusable for me? A lot of film/tv/video game composers use very large multisampled libraries... does this mean Live 9 can't be used for scoring because of the new browser? 20 minutes to search for and load 1 instrument sounds insane.
it depends on how your library is organized. if your kontakt libraries are mixed in with other samples that need to be accessed directly from live (via indexing), you're in trouble. but if your kontakt libraries are in a separate location, just make sure to not index that location and you'll be fine.

i'm in 100% agreement with angstrom on this entire thing. the live browser is a complete mess.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:37 pm

scientist wrote:
UCAudio wrote:I use a large collection of multisampled kontakt instruments... not as much as the OP but probably 1 to 2 TB worth. Does this mean Live 9 will be pretty much unusable for me? A lot of film/tv/video game composers use very large multisampled libraries... does this mean Live 9 can't be used for scoring because of the new browser? 20 minutes to search for and load 1 instrument sounds insane.
it depends on how your library is organized. if your kontakt libraries are mixed in with other samples that need to be accessed directly from live (via indexing), you're in trouble. but if your kontakt libraries are in a separate location, just make sure to not index that location and you'll be fine.

i'm in 100% agreement with angstrom on this entire thing. the live browser is a complete mess.
I thought people unable to be under some centueies of sound to work with would be more on a pro-HDX sounding audio workstation we, from our amateur if not less point of view call a mastering studio or just studio, well, how stupid I am anyway ..
Antoine, aka Blendton.