hps-octane - MaxForLive step sequencer

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Re: hps-octane - MaxForLive step sequencer

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:51 pm

hps-octane max4live step sequencer has now its own page on my brand new and rebuilt website here.

Up to now, the informations in this page are nothing new for the Wigglers who had followed this topic, but now the beta version is downloadable for everyone.

I'm now in the process to rebuild my website with a more professional point of view, looking for new contracts and recovering step by step the use of my twisted knee. So, further development will start again in August. As already said, I will maintain 2 versions, one with a Lemur editor, one with a Launchpad editor.
Last edited by Hielo Patagonia Sounds on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

revoltcrew

Post by revoltcrew » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:53 pm

awesome.... thanks for keeping us posted!
100000greenCanaries are either violin0rGreen
http://sunfalls.org ||http://soundcloud.com/sunfalls || http://vimeo.com/sunfalls

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks ! :D

Take into account that I will restart developing this device in August 2013 (I have more important stuffs to do at the moment).

vanhaze

Post by vanhaze » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:59 am

Thank you so much for the effort !
Rob van Hees
Macbook Pro 15", 8 Gig Ram, Mavericks 10.9, Novation Impulse, Maschine MKII, Live 9.1 (latest beta 64bit), Logic Pro X 10.04, Protools 11.02, just too many plugins.

Dom Murphy

Post by Dom Murphy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:39 am

This is pretty awesome work. Most of it is fairly self explanatory, however I can't work out how I can use Control 1 & 2 to modify other Ableton Live parameters (eg: in device effects).

Any videos / words out there that can help?

:D

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks ! :D

Control 1 & 2 are only sending MIDI controllers. I may implement an option to allow Live parameters modulations. BTW, it's a very easy add-on but I don't know where to put the GUI in the graphic interface already done ...

H.

Dom Murphy

Post by Dom Murphy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Ah ok, and the number after SEQ / RDM is the Midi CC number? Eg: 1 = Mod Wheel?

The mapping button could work like in Live 9's LFO device where there's a button that says MAP with a second smaller [X] button to the right. Clicking Map and then any Live parameter links the two and the [X] button lights up and becomes active. Clicking the [X] cuts the link.

Anyways, this device is fantastic. Really great and can't wait to hook it up and play in more depth (at work at the mo).

D

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Small teaser ...

hps-kgen is the little brother of hps-octane step sequencer. This sequencer is inspired by the Kilpatrick Audio K4815 Pattern Generator module. This M4L device will share all the ergonomics and functions with hps-octane (clip trigger, presets, ...) and might come with a Lemur remote panel too. When I will have a more finished device, I will open a specific topic and a specific page in my website.

Stay tune !
Hédi K.

revoltcrew

Post by revoltcrew » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:05 pm

yes yes!
100000greenCanaries are either violin0rGreen
http://sunfalls.org ||http://soundcloud.com/sunfalls || http://vimeo.com/sunfalls

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:01 pm

I'd be interested in hacking it to make it controlled by the APC40.

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:04 am

Some updates here ! 8)

The bad news:
I've remove all the OSC and LaunchPad remote controls, because I've never felt (and I'm still not) comfortable to use the iPad + Lemur (the fact is always having to look at the screen before touching one of the virtual controllers drives me crazy, I'm bit "old school", you know real knobs, sliders, ...). The MIDI remote control from the LaunchPad was a big mess to adjust and edit. And all these MaxForLive development take a LOT of time too, not making music. So, instead of keeping a lot of unused patch code, I've simply remove it (don't worry, I still have copies of these).

The good news:
The v1.00 of hps-octane is nearly finished ! I've added the possibility to use control 1 and control 2 to send both MIDI controllers AND to remote control whatever ableton Live parameters you want. I just have now to patch some tiny editing functionalities, make a PDF manual and update some webpages on my website. Here is a screenshot:

The secret hps-kgen sequencer, inspired by the Kilpatrick Audio K4815 Pattern Generator is nearly ready too ! I've used the same general concept and functionalities taken from hps-octane, with an unified interface, with the added following possibilities:
- editable matrix pattern, with preset menu (hard coded and used as a starting point for editing);
- up to 25 presets for each instance (with XML import/export), remote preset switching with a simple MIDI Program Change (from 101 to 125) so you can use MIDI Clips to switch "on-the-fly" from one preset to an other one (btw, these preset functions are exactly the same in hps-octane);
- a unique matrix step counter, with start step, end step and step interval, and various random counters too;
- the probability, octave, velocity, duration, control 1 and control 2 sequencers have exactly the same functionalities from hps-octane. The step advancement is triggered by the 8x8 matrix.

A new slim down version of hps-octane, dedicated for a single drum line (hence the future name of this sequencer : hps-d-line) is on its way too. Well, it's just atm a project I have in my head : I will just have to remove all the note and octave related sequencers from hps-octane.

:mrgreen:

MaxForLive devices developed and tested in Max v6.1.5 and Ableton Live v9.1 .

So, these MIDI MaxForLive devices will be soon release as a "donationware" and will be downloadable from dedicated pages on my website.

:D :wink:

Hédi K.

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Since I've updated to Live 9/9.1 and Max/MaxForLive 6.1.5, I've found a very annoying and strange behavior in my MaxForLive sequencers, and so need your help for some simple testing.

:(

My sequencers are using the Max [preset] object to switch presets on the fly using MIDI Program Change included in clips (in session view).

These MaxForLive devices work perfectly, especially when switching presets in realtime with MIDI Program Change included in clips, in Live v8.4.3. These same exact devices produce random audio clicks/glitches when sending MIDI Program Change for switching presets, even if I change the buffer size from 128 samples to 512 samples.If I just click on the memorized presets in the [preset] object, there are NO audio click/glitches. It seems that the problem is in the Program Change. Did Ableton the Program Change function when they have rebuilt Live 9 ?

:?:

In my MaxForLive device, I'm using the [midiselect] object for filtering the raw MIDI datas coming from the [midiin] object. I've also tried to use the [pgmin] and [pgmout] objects with the same audio clicks/glitches results ...

In both cases, my MaxForLive devices are sending MIDI datas to Operator or Sampler - the behavior remains the same whatever Live software instruments are used. I didn't test it with VST plug-ins and/or external instruments.

You can download below a Live 9/9.1 session which includes the last version of hps-octane and hps-kgen. Each of these sequencers is driving a live instrument by sending MIDI datas. To run the sequencers, just click on the MIDI clips of each track. These MIDI clips contain MIDI notes (one is used as a reset, and the other one as a clock/trig), and a MIDI Program Change (101 to 125) that is supposed to switch from preset 1 to 25.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7frbu3ienzcl5 ... roject.zip

Can you please try this Live set and tell me if you have these audio click/glitches while switching presets with a MIDI clip containing Program Change ? Try also to click directely on the black dots of the [preset] object.

Take into account that setting the clips' quantization to 16th is intentional. The idea is to allow quantized (here it is 16th) sync presets' switching. It used to work flawlessly in Live 8.4.3 + Max 5.1.9 , even when using several instances of these devices, including full Lemur/OSC remote control (which is gone atm). I've always assumed that the MIDI Program Change included in MIDI clips (that's the only way to do it in Live) is sent just a few milliseconds before the proper (in sync) clip start, allowing the device to switch to an other preset just before receiving the next MIDI note that is used as a sequencer trigger.

I have the feeling to get screwed now : it used to work, but since Live 9 (which, IMO, has been completely rewritten) it's kind of broken. I don't really use MIDI clips in a traditional way (meaning to play rhythms or melodic sequences), but mainly as a way to remote trigger MaxForLive MIDI sequencers or external modular sequencers. If I can't do that my setup is broken ...

My only way atm is to switch back to Live 8 and Max 5 (pfff ... they are still on my computer), but I'm now used to Live 9 enhancement, new projects only exist in Live 9. What a mess ... just when I thought that my hybrid setup was stabilized. F*&$k !

:cry:

BTW, I'm about to definitely close my PayPal account because of an administrative PayPal mess between Iceland and France. These MaxForLive devices will be "postcardwares" ... if you like them, send me a nice postcard ! I will be like traveling around the world !

Hédi K.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:50 pm

hi,

im searching for a lemur/live9 sequencer but i think it isn´t working again or are there any updates?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Evengy wrote:hi,

im searching for a lemur/live9 sequencer but i think it isn´t working again or are there any updates?
I hope a lemur/Live8 sequencer will do: https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/mark-ba ... land-life/ (bottom of the page)