Mr. Wong's Maschine usage Qs (not a comparison thread)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Mr. Wong's Maschine usage Qs (not a comparison thread)

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:09 am

:x

I've done varying degrees of RTFM, Googling, and Youtubing these questions and nothing. I'll keep any subsequent questions to this same thread. :x

1. How do I get it to hot swap change sounds while a sequence is playing? I activated preview but that doesn't change the sound that the sequence is playing. It just triggers the sound while you scroll through the browser.

2. How do I set the velocity level (or any parameter for that matter I guess) to the same value across the whole pattern? All I figured out how to do is drag it up for each note one at a time or highlight all of them and drag up and down but that just makes relative adjustments. If I want the velocity of every note to be 74, how do I do that all at once.

:x thanks you.

beats me

Re: Mr. Wong's Maschine usage Qs (not a comparison thread)

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:19 pm

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Have you tried asking your questions, or seeking answers on the Maschine forum?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:58 pm

No. I like to keep all my music production related questions in house, Ableton’s house. And from what I’ve seen there is no shortage of Maschine experts on here.

If I said “Maschine is a piece of shit!” I’d get flooded with responses as to why it’s not. I ask direct questions about it and the only answer I get so far is insinuating I’m posting this on the wrong forum.

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Dude go to the maschine forum, that's what it's there for. As a maschine user, I don't know the answers to your questions. I know how to set the velocity WHEN YOU PLAY IT, but not to set multiple notes' velocity after the fact. As far as the hot swap, I don't know if that's possible. I've tried messing with the preview feature before and haven't had luck.

Slacker4hire

Post by Slacker4hire » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:28 pm

1.while in the browser, the prev and next button will load instead of preview. this is as close to hotswap as I've seen.

2.while in pad mode, there is a 'fixed vel' soft button. press this and adjust the matching knob to the velocity you want. this is only while playing or sequencing I believe. select all notes is best after the fact.

hth

edit: this is assuming you are using the full hardware.
10.9 - Live 9.1/M4L - Studio One 2.6.2 - Komplete 9 ultimate - Maschine 2.0 MK2 plus random goodies and a ton of unused hardware.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 pm

^ :x ^

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:24 am

Slacker4hire wrote:1.while in the browser, the prev and next button will load instead of preview. this is as close to hotswap as I've seen.

2.while in pad mode, there is a 'fixed vel' soft button. press this and adjust the matching knob to the velocity you want. this is only while playing or sequencing I believe. select all notes is best after the fact.

hth

edit: this is assuming you are using the full hardware.
Thanks! And the best answer came from a slacker. :wink:

I wouldn't exactly consider these power user needs, more basic functionality for "the only drum machine sampler with hardware you will ever need." I like it so far but it hasn't been a game changer for me yet. I'm still clicking things on the software more than I thought I would be but I'm also still learning.

Slacker4hire

Post by Slacker4hire » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:31 am

hey look at that, I helped! :lol:

to help accelerate the learning curve I've been minimizing the app and forcing myself to strictly use the hw. it's way too much work realistically, but so far I've had maschine for about 2 weeks and I'm a big, big fan.

I've done more in these 2 weeks than I did in the last 6 months. easier for me to "get in the groove" and what not.
10.9 - Live 9.1/M4L - Studio One 2.6.2 - Komplete 9 ultimate - Maschine 2.0 MK2 plus random goodies and a ton of unused hardware.

lethal_pizzle

Post by lethal_pizzle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:12 pm

1) There is no hotswap function as you describe

2) Either hit SELECT and select your notes with the hardware, or highlight the notes with the mouse and hit SELECT; then give the knob under the LCD with 'Velocity' on it a good spin, this'll max out all your disparate hits at 127, then adjust back down to taste.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:11 pm

I’m kind of :? with Maschine right now. Not really seeing much advantage with it over something like Geist (which I also have). Using the hardware seems to be finicky, like just getting it to consistently browse samples for the pads. The sound tab at the top is highlighted but when I hit the browser button it’s not always displaying samples to scroll through. Probably just need practice or something, but I’m finding myself always reaching for the software.

There’s just too many samples and I often don’t find something that works for me, or at least not something interesting. Also I’m finding the internal effects a bit meh.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Geist is the bomb. Every time I wander back to it, I always wonder why I left.

The drum layering and sample browsing in Geist are my favorite things about the app. Plus it sounds good.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:47 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Geist is the bomb. Every time I wander back to it, I always wonder why I left.

The drum layering and sample browsing in Geist are my favorite things about the app. Plus it sounds good.

Do you see any advantage with Maschine compared to Geist?

I put in the title this isn't a comparison thread, but I mostly meant compared to Live. I didn't think I would go into other territory here.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:13 pm

Really only the controller. However, there are Geist templates for the Maschine controller over on the Geist forum if you're interested.

In terms of of straight up software drum sampler, Geist is more robust. Multiple layers per pad, per step automation is easier to edit, and the built in pattern templates make it super quick and easy put some basic 4x4 patterns into the sequencer. Also, the automation transfers when you drag and drop midi files to Ableton.

They both suck at zooming out, but lately I've been making two bar patterns with everything included, dragging the midi file to ableton and working backwards to remove parts.

Obviously, Maschine takes advantage of 3rd party plug ins, but that becomes irrelevant when using Maschine in Ableton (or DAW of choice)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:48 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Really only the controller. However, there are Geist templates for the Maschine controller over on the Geist forum if you're interested.
How extensive is the template? Does it simply just map the pads to the samples to trigger or does it take advantage of the other hardware controls?
but that becomes irrelevant when using Maschine in Ableton (or DAW of choice)
Maschine seems redudant in a lot of ways if you are using Live, but as I mostly use Logic now I'm missing session view. So a plugin with pattern sequencers really helps.