Top 5 things I will regret after going from Live8 to Live9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: Top 5 things I will regret after going from Live8 to Live9

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 am

nc2010 wrote:I downloaded the trial, and am trying L9.

About indexing : it seems that only folders that are in Browser > Places are indexed.

If you don't add your favorite 15'000 Terabytes folder of .wav to "PLACES", it won't be indexed, am I right ?

So if I don't want L9 to scan all my harddisk during a night, the solution is : don't add this folder to "PLACES", am I right ?
That's correct. Although, of course, if you don't add it to places you won't be able to see your favorite 15,000 Terabytes folder of .wav, at all in Live as there's no plain old fashioned disk browsing. So you'd be using your OSes browser to grab your wavs instead, and that whole location would be absent from Live.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:15 pm

You're about to make a sandwich in your new home. Suddenly, a dude appears. Not the relaxed kind -- quite official, actually. Vigilantly positioned near the fridge, he informs you that from now on he's checking and cataloging everything that goes in or comes out of the kitchen.

Soon you find yourself waiting for him to analyze your sandwich.

"I'll just list the ingredients here. You'll enjoy knowing that it had a delicious bit of baloney in it."

"Yeah, I kinda know already, I just put it there."

"Not to worry. Just a second!"

He then proceeds to make pencil notes. The sketchpad looks like only a professional kitchen archivist can decipher it.

"Will I always be waiting this long? I mean... I figured you'd have a laptop or something."

"No... Well, sometimes I might bust out my chemistry set, you know. Bring in an assload of groceries and I'll make sure what's what. Could take hours to analyze a set like that, to be honest. It's for your added convenience, of course, but you still might want to consider how much stuff you introduce to your kitchen."

In disbelief you contact the authorities, only to be told that the dude comes standard with your new home. No questions asked. They promise he'll soon be more smooth about it all. And "assload", did he really say that? They're so sorry. He will most probably behave somewhat more appropriately from now on, too.

"Well, shit. Dude, do we have a beer in there?"

"I... don't know. Kinda messed up my intricate system here. God damn, you contacting the manager and all, the stress, I swear. Look, I'll just make sure and go through everything again. Uh, I'm not supposed to tell you this, but I get I should be more friendly like, and uh, you could always get a beer and have it at the back or something. I won't look, ok?"

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Don't put your fridge in "places" and everything will be fine.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:28 pm

erikomic wrote:Don't put your fridge in "places" and everything will be fine.
:lol:

nc2010

Post by nc2010 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Angstrom wrote:
nc2010 wrote:I downloaded the trial, and am trying L9.

About indexing : it seems that only folders that are in Browser > Places are indexed.

If you don't add your favorite 15'000 Terabytes folder of .wav to "PLACES", it won't be indexed, am I right ?

So if I don't want L9 to scan all my harddisk during a night, the solution is : don't add this folder to "PLACES", am I right ?
That's correct. Although, of course, if you don't add it to places you won't be able to see your favorite 15,000 Terabytes folder of .wav, at all in Live as there's no plain old fashioned disk browsing. So you'd be using your OSes browser to grab your wavs instead, and that whole location would be absent from Live.
Then that's perfect ! I do my all browsing outside of Live (with the freeware "Everything" + auto preview of wav files mod it's amazing, a million times better than all browsers of the world) and everything is great :)

So I'm ready for L9 :)

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:37 pm

erikomic wrote:Don't put your fridge in "places" and everything will be fine.
Sounds like a good principle to have, yeah :lol:

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:49 pm

The Browser
Losing "Create New Project" in the browser
Silly auto-filling of control surface slots

I'm sure there are others but I can't remember.. I guess that's a good thing.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:28 pm

TYLRbass wrote:I'm sure there are others but I can't remember..
that's rated as 'progress'.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:33 am

nc2010 wrote: Then that's perfect ! I do my all browsing outside of Live (with the freeware "Everything" + auto preview of wav files mod it's amazing, a million times better than all browsers of the world) and everything is great :)
I know that this is gonna sound like a Cheech and Chong tape, but what's Everything?

Can you get Everything for Mac?

The other question of course, is whether nothing is better than Everything, but I will desist :)

nc2010

Post by nc2010 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Try Everything : http://www.voidtools.com/

It's freeware and portable and small (0.3 MB) and it is able to index all my harddisk (500 GB used) in less than one minute once for all (okay it doesn't index the content of the files, only the filename, but anyway I don't want content indexing at all!)

cids

Post by cids » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:43 pm

1. None
2. None
3. None
4. None
5. None
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:02 am

This is great for browsing audio or samples.
http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Snapper/SnapperMain.html

You can hear the audio and even take a selection from a sample make that a new sample.
Not 100% but I think you can also can throw the audio into ableton.

vondersulzburg

Post by vondersulzburg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 am

still no .caf file support
no Mixer in arrangement view

nothing else

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:43 am

In the beta we were told that "nobody is using tagging anyway".

Check out the new OSX: http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/
Scroll a bit down.

"Tags are a powerful new way to organize and find your files, even documents stored in iCloud. Simply tag files you want to organize together with a keyword, like “Important.” Then when you want to find those files, just click Important in the Finder sidebar or enter it in the search field. Tag a file once, or give it multiple tags to assign it to multiple projects. If you have documents stored in multiple iCloud libraries, tags let you group them together into projects. So if you’re planning an event, you could tag the guest list you saved in Numbers, the flyer you designed in Pages, and the presentation you created in Keynote, and see them all with just one click — organized as a single project in a single Finder window."

.... :lol: :roll: :cry: :evil: :mrgreen: