iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
8O

Re: iPad

Post by 8O » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:56 pm

At least for the time-being, Google and Apple et al can share one common icon for saving your personal files:

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 pm

^^^^Hahaha!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:02 pm

beats me wrote:
H20nly wrote:i know you don't want to hear this... but... the Samsung Galaxy is a nice fucking phone. :x

i know you want to hear this even less... but... chicks, at least around here, have been ditching their iPhones for the Galaxy. i know at least 3. :x

i know you don't want to accept this... but... once, not so long ago, the thing in everyone's hand at the airport and public transit and such was an iPhone... i've seen A LOT more people with Androids lately. :x

i fuck with you a lot about Apple, but i'm not kidding at all in this post. :x

I don’t have a problem with that, but have you surveyed these women as to exactly why they switched phones? I’m sure the reasons will be fascinating and well informed.

:x
price.

upgrade time... they looked at other options and they liked what they saw. a lot of Verizon/AT&T reps stopped creaming about it years ago. have you looked at the reps phones when you go in the store lately? it proves my point all the more.

also, some people are pissed that all the accessories they bought go out the window if they upgrade to iPhone 5... it makes them open to other options since they're starting back at square one.

i switched to the iPhone sort of involuntarily. it just happened™ because i needed a replacement phone STAT at work and there was a spare iPhone laying around. i switched and i like everything about it except for;

+ the number of steps it takes to delete and/or mark messages unread
+ the bullshit "time stamps are irrelevant" non-optional setup for text messages
+ no Amazon music downloads allowed (if iTunes had the catalog that Amazon has this would be a non-issue)
+ proprietary plug
+ people can't hear me when i'm on the phone (where the name is derived from) if i hold the bottom of it away from my face (an inch or 2)

besides the voicemail being fuckin tits... the iPhone offers absolutely nothing that you can't do on an Android unless you are just that obsessed with iTunes that you cannot fathom life without it as your placenta.

there was a gap... but it closed. :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 pm

I only know one person without an iPhone, and it drives me nuts I can't use messages at the laptop to get ahold of him like I can everyone else.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Tarekith wrote:I only know one person without an iPhone, and it drives me nuts I can't use messages at the laptop to get ahold of him like I can everyone else.
This.

All four members of my current funk band used to have iPhones and groups texts were awesome because I could talk from any of my devices/Macs.

Then the keyboardist just had to buy a Windoze phone.

:x
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:56 pm

^ i can see where that would suck... but it's just more proprietary stuff... there is a group message feature on about 97.5% of all cell phones in use right now. select multiple recipients and just text them. messaging from a computer or an iPad is a convenience that isn't really all that unique to Apple shit, it's just built in.

AT&T: @txt.att.net
Alltel: @message.alltel.com
Nextel: @messaging.nextel.com
Sprint: @messaging.sprintpcs.com
SunCom: @tms.suncom.com
T-mobile: @tmomail.net
VoiceStream: @voicestream.net
Verizon: @vtext.com (text only) or @vzwpix.com (photos and video)

place their phone number in front of the @ symbol and have at it...
*bonus feature - works from Windows and Linnux too.

:evil: but i don't know who my friends carrier is, that's bullshit!! argument...

:evil: but you can get all up in their pockets and know what kind of cell phone they have?? rebuttal...

the phone number + address from above can be saved to your contacts.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:59 pm

H20nly wrote:^ i can see where that would suck... but it's just more proprietary stuff... there is a group message feature on about 97.5% of all cell phones in use right now. select multiple recipients and just text them. messaging from a computer or an iPad is a convenience that isn't really all that unique to Apple shit, it's just built in.

AT&T: @txt.att.net
Alltel: @message.alltel.com
Nextel: @messaging.nextel.com
Sprint: @messaging.sprintpcs.com
SunCom: @tms.suncom.com
T-mobile: @tmomail.net
VoiceStream: @voicestream.net
Verizon: @vtext.com (text only) or @vzwpix.com (photos and video)

place their phone number in front of the @ symbol and have at it...
*bonus feature - works from Windows and Linnux too.

:evil: but i don't know who my friends carrier is, that's bullshit!! argument...

:evil: but you can get all up in their pockets and know what kind of cell phone they have?? rebuttal...

the phone number + address from above can be saved to your contacts.
So this will work with Apple's Messages?
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:02 pm

H20nly wrote:there was a gap... but it closed. :x

Maybe the gap has closed on just phones, but the gap hasn’t even come close to closing on the total Mac/iDevice/Apple TV package with syncing and communication.

The work around with the Amazon situation is buy the music from Amazon on your Mac. I believe their downloader will even put the music directly in iTunes. Kick down the $25 per year for Match and anything you have in your iTunes library will be available for streaming or downloading to your idevice.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:33 pm

^ what are you on about?.. a company has products that work together?.. wow

someone call Sony and Samsung and tell them that this can happen STAT.

i'm not saying that Apple suck or anything of the kind but this shit isn't innovative anymore... it's run of the mill and becoming more and more run of the mill every second.

@ stringtapper - you can send a group message text (SMS) to your friends regardless of who/what their carrier is... you just can't send an iMessage. if your message really needs to be classed as an iMessage then yeah, you better get your buddy a new iPhone for Xmas... but if you need to send everyone a message just add a recipient. there's a white plus sign with a blue circle on the right side of the TO: field... touch it and pick a contact. it might change to MMS (from SMS), but that is pretty irrelevant at this point.

the addresses i provided above work from anything that can send an email - ANYTHING... my brother is making a motion detector that sends someone a text if a door opens... it uses a DOS like OS that uses the recipients number and the formula that i gave you above to pull it off via telnet (yep 1980's shit)... the only trick is knowing the carrier... you're 2 texts away from knowing - step 1 to ask step 2 wait for the reply.

don't take my word for it though... fire up an email host... add your phone number + the corresponding domain from the list i provided, hit send, and wait a few seconds. seeing is believing.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:40 pm

in regard to iMessage specifically - all Apple have done is encapsulated a device ID on each and every phone... there was another company that could do this at least a decade ago... hmmmmm what was their name... it'll come to me... oh yeah... RIM. Blackberrys could message from device to device for free as early as 2003 or so. on those old networks with only every third person you know having a cell phone and only every third one of them having a text option on their plan. that was impressive. iMessage - nice feature but it's been done before.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:43 pm

H20nly wrote:@ stringtapper - you can send a group message text (SMS) to your friends regardless of who/what their carrier is... you just can't send an iMessage. if your message really needs to be classed as an iMessage then yeah, you better get your buddy a new iPhone for Xmas... but if you need to send everyone a message just add a recipient. there's a white plus sign with a blue circle on the right side of the TO: field... touch it and pick a contact. it might change to MMS (from SMS), but that is pretty irrelevant at this point.

the addresses i provided above work from anything that can send an email - ANYTHING... my brother is making a motion detector that sends someone a text if a door opens... it uses a DOS like OS that uses the recipients number and the formula that i gave you above to pull it off via telnet (yep 1980's shit)... the only trick is knowing the carrier... you're 2 texts away from knowing - step 1 to ask step 2 wait for the reply.

don't take my word for it though... fire up an email host... add your phone number + the corresponding domain from the list i provided, hit send, and wait a few seconds. seeing is believing.
Well, yeah, we already have an ongoing group text since he got his Windows phone (although I must add that he actually had to jump through some hoops to make it so we all wouldn't get individual texts from him alone, which gets confusing fast). It's really about being able to do the group text across all devices and computers.

I actually just tested the address method with him and for some reason it sends the text fine, but sends it with a return number that isn't the same as your actual number you're sending from, soooo I don't know what that's about.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:45 pm

H20nly wrote:in regard to iMessage specifically - all Apple have done is encapsulated a device ID on each and every phone... there was another company that could do this at least a decade ago... hmmmmm what was their name... it'll come to me... oh yeah... RIM. Blackberrys could message from device to device for free as early as 2003 or so. on those old networks with only every third person you know having a cell phone and only every third one of them having a text option on their plan. that was impressive. iMessage - nice feature but it's been done before.
Ok. :|

I don't really get your need to keep pointing out things that Apple are doing that aren't innovative.

It's ah, *ahem*… been done before.

:P
Unsound Designer

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:37 pm

iOS 7 Icon Backlash: Designers Take to Dribbble to “Vent Design”
http://www.dtelepathy.com/blog/inspirat ... ent-design

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:42 pm

ok ST...

i just feel sorry for beats me. he thinks Apple is perfect, but he can't remember the last time he didn't own all Apple products... i.e. he doesn't know any better.

EVERY company has their flaws... their high points... and their low points... in all fairness though... Apple has done some fucking cool shit during the last 10 years. no denying it. i'm just pointing out that they are simply packaging things neatly just as often, if not more often... than they are really inventing something that was not their before.

i'll stop now. :x