The new Mac Pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: The new Mac Pro

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Pasha wrote:...I can still make music in 2013 with a 2008 iMac.

Agreed, but at some point new software needs exceeds older hardware specs. I would think a Mac Pro would be a little more future proof.

But at the same time you could probably continue to make great music for the next 20 years on the software you are using now. We just can't help ourselves wanting all the latest software even when it has near zero impact on your creative output.

William

Post by William » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:28 pm

Pairing this with something like UAD Apollo TB interface would make an extremely powerful (and expensive!) setup.

Most people have external drives connected to their computers anyway, so I don't see why that would be much of a problem.

And as it's already been noted, someone will probably make a black external hd enclosure that will fit underneath this.

It will surely be out of my price range, but it is a progressive, forward-thinking design both inside and out.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:33 pm

beats me wrote:I would think a Mac Pro would be a little more future proof.
Mac Pros are not future proof. Bought one in 2007, and as of 2012 Apple's latest operating system (Lion) cannot be installed on it (not supported). It's one thing if your old machine falls below the required specs of an OS. But I think five years is not very "future proof".

Someone go ahead and tell me I'm an idiot, what do I expect, you have to pay to play, Apple needs to put its limited (yeah right) resources into other things. Just saving some time here. :lol:

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't need the current OS to keep using the computer for 5 more years. That said, it is ridiculous that you can't run it.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:54 pm

dave999z wrote:
Mac Pros are not future proof. Bought one in 2007, and as of 2012 Apple's latest operating system (Lion) cannot be installed on it (not supported). It's one thing if your old machine falls below the required specs of an OS. But I think five years is not very "future proof".

Someone go ahead and tell me I'm an idiot, what do I expect, you have to pay to play, Apple needs to put its limited (yeah right) resources into other things. Just saving some time here. :lol:
not to throw salt on your wounds... but Lion isn't even the latest anymore... it's Mountain Lion.

i'm guessing you have an Motorola processor???

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:09 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't need the current OS to keep using the computer for 5 more years. That said, it is ridiculous that you can't run it.
Depends what you use your computer for. If you're an app developer for example. Not only am I forced to upgrade, Apple also doesn't allow me to submit apps for older hardware...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:33 pm

If your going to jump on the apple train, you gotta keep fairly current or things get difficult it seems. If you time it right when you upgrade, you can usually sell your older Apple stuff for a decent amount, so it's not toooo difficult to stay up to date IMO. Not the kind of thing a broke college student can likely afford, but for a serious hobbiest or professional it's not out of the question. Definitely makes life much easier I find.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:09 am

dave999z wrote:

Well that sucks.

But I would think if your career is doing high end (whatever) then having to do a computer upgrade every 5 years isn't unreasonable. Shit, people get new cars every 5 years on average and that's way more expensive and unnecessary.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:30 am

beats me wrote:...Shit, people get new cars every 5 years on average...
Who are these "people" you speak of?? They must be like, A Wizard or something...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:41 am

i saw one of them once... with their fancy belts and creases.

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:34 am

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 am

pencilrocket wrote:
it's not released yet but it already dealt with heat problems?... haha nice, you made my day. I still can keep saying people, at least you, only buy apple machine because they look nice.

Thanks for aggressive but funny reply.
You are confusing looking nice with good design.

You could show that design to anyone with experience of heat management and they'll tell you that the concept should work very well.

Except those hopelessly blinded by Mac hate of course.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:23 am

beats me wrote:
Pasha wrote:...I can still make music in 2013 with a 2008 iMac.

Agreed, but at some point new software needs exceeds older hardware specs. I would think a Mac Pro would be a little more future proof.

But at the same time you could probably continue to make great music for the next 20 years on the software you are using now. We just can't help ourselves wanting all the latest software even when it has near zero impact on your creative output.
Well... Socrates and Plato could not have said it better! :lol:
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:24 am

andydes wrote:You are confusing looking nice with good design.

You could show that design to anyone with experience of heat management and they'll tell you that the concept should work very well.

Except those hopelessly blinded by Mac hate of course.
same goes for g4 cube. you are confusing concept with practical usage. No one can tell if the product will work properly until it is released. You are as good as saying nothing but it looks nice unless you already got one somehow.

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:42 pm

H20nly wrote:
dave999z wrote:

not to throw salt on your wounds... but Lion isn't even the latest anymore... it's Mountain Lion.

i'm guessing you have an Motorola processor???
Yeah sorry, I'm running Lion. It's Mountain Lion that I can't upgrade to simply because Apple didn't feel like supporting the stock graphics card from their perfectly-capable 2007 machine anymore.

It's not a Motorola. It's got 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeon processors.

I know I can keep using the computer without running Mountain Lion, and that's what I'm doing (obviously). It's just annoying that the latest OS is not supported and not because of a minimum specs issue.