NanoKontrol + Launcpad conflict problem. Help!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sirvoice

NanoKontrol + Launcpad conflict problem. Help!

Post by sirvoice » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 am

Hey guys,

In our setup by bandmates uses a Korg NanoKontrol 2 with a Launchpad. Whenever he uses the Nano the Launcpad goes all whack; all the lights turn on and you can only reset it by hitting user 1 then back to session mode.

The NanoKonrol runs thru Live on the MackieControl 'Control Surface' selection.

It also whacks out all the launchpad drum rack default assignments, putting them all over the drum rack, jumping up 6 rows every row of the drum rack.

Anyone know of this problem & or any fixes? Or alternative controlelrs that work great?

Thanks xx

sirvoice

Re: NanoKontrol + Launcpad conflict problem. Help!

Post by sirvoice » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:49 pm

anyone? any thoughts?

subsynth

Post by subsynth » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:45 pm

The launchpad transmits on several midi channels, you probably have the nano on a conflicting channel.

FWIW My LP Transmits on Channels 1,5,6,7,8,9,10 & 11

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Yeah, you will have to use the Korg utility to set a new MIDI channel. I think frommemory the LP uses CH1 for the main control, CH5 for User1 and CH6 for U2. If any other devices are set to these channels and especially set for feedback tou will get your LEDs going haywire.

sirvoice

Post by sirvoice » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:43 am

Of course! Thanks for the Tips guys.

Sorry, bitt of a noob i guess,

How does one switch the Midi chanells for midi devices? On Korg software, mac prefecernces of within Live?

Cheers

danadiamond

Post by danadiamond » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:06 am

hey sirvoice,

i ran into the exact same kind of problems.
AFIK, the Launchpad uses CH1 (and maybe others too, not sure).

the default of the Nanokontrol2 is CH16. You can see this clearly in the Korg Kontrol Editor software. so there shouldn't be a midi conflict, but there is.
here's what's going on here -

1) Launchpad is (presumably) set to its default Midi CHs. Ok, fine.
2) Using Korg Kontrol Editor, I confirmed the NK2 is on CH 16; when i still had conflicts I tried also CH15, CH2, etc.... in each case chose "Write Scene Data" and also saved the settings.
3) as soon as i begin midimapping in Live, the NK2 is clearly writing midi data to CH1 - which of course causes a conflict.

did you figure this out yet??

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:24 am

Which Control Mode (shown right under Global MIDI Channel) is displayed in the Editor? If it’s Live, then the Global MIDI Channel has no bearing. The mode will always operate on channel 1 and is not meant for MIDI mapping.

If you want to use the controller for MIDI mapping, you should use the CC Control Mode, which allows you to choose the messages and channel(s) to use.

danadiamond

Post by danadiamond » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:47 pm

hey metastatik,

yes - you are totally right, and in fact i suspected this was the issue, since the NK2 worked w/ no conflicts when I used it only for midimapping in CC mode w/ the midi CH set to 16.

the only reason i used the NK2 Control Mode set to "Live" was to get the lights (Rec/Mute/Solo) to work.
there must be a workaround, but i haven't found it. have you?

edit - thx for the link; I do have mapease script. i've had some issues with it. might pursue it further but was hoping for a dead simple way to just get those lights to work.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:02 am

No workaround needed. Just set the LED Mode (it's right under Control Mode) to External in the Editor.

Regarding MapEase, if you need assistance please contact support or post on our forum.