Specific questions on DJing with APC40

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fimpson

Specific questions on DJing with APC40

Post by fimpson » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm getting interested in DJing around my local area at pubs/cafes etc as I might have a chance at getting some gigs soon but sadly I can't DJ whatsoever, nor do I have any equipment geared for doing it. All I know about DJing I know from extensive watching of youtube videos. Decided that I don't really want to have to learn trakdor and go down that road because I like Live and would really like to actually use it for playing live at some point! - so basically I'm getting interested in the APC40 because it seems like a hell of a lot of people are going that way now.

I know there's probably a few threads on this already but I've just got a few specific questions:
- how does queuing and monitoring through headphones before playing a track work?? I understand you would usually spend time warping all the tracks in your set so when you go to play them they are all in sync, but what about being able to listen to it while you fade it in/get to the right place etc etc

- are headphones actually used/needed with a Live and APC setup?

- How do you even incorporate the APC's crossfader into the map? do you crossfade between tracks (as in columns)?

- How does using sends/busses for effects work? (I've never actually got around to using sends and busses when making tracks because I don't need to/don't understand how they work. I understand putting an effect on a send and then having the ability to affect multiple tracks with one effect, but it also makes it louder when it goes through the master buss, which makes obvious sense but I don't know how to avoid it)

- Is there any way to see the waveforms of 2 audio clips at one time in Live 9?

Thank you for your help! an answer to any one of those would be greatly appreciated!

S4racen

Re: Specific questions on DJing with APC40

Post by S4racen » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi There....

First www.abletonlivedj.com is a great place full of likeminded people who use Ableton for DJing....

As for your questions...

1, You'll need a soundcard with multiple outputs, i use the Native Instruments Audio DJ2 for this purpose as its tiny and cost effective...

2, i always use headphones, always neccessary in my opinion...

3, If you look at the invert phase option on the utility plugin lacing this on a return track will avoid "doubling" the sound as you say...

4, No....

Good luck!!

Cheers
D

ps click below.... ;-)

fimpson

Post by fimpson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:30 pm

I see, thank you. Looking at the Isotonik thing now as well which looks very interesting.

My sound card is a focusrite 2i4 - I just use it for the RCA sends (for my 80's home NAD amplifier driving the monitors) - only got one headphone out.
Still, I don't really understand how you actually incorporate headphones? Do you set it up so you can hear one track at a time and queue the tracks like that? but then what would be the point if you've preorganised the set and everything is beatmatched and in the right order as clips?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:06 pm

My belief is that you would always audition everything as you mix it but then i've been playing 20 plus years so old habits die hard!

The cue/solo button gives the ability to do this!

Cheers
D

fimpson

Post by fimpson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:59 am

oh right, of course!!!! lol didn't think about solo or que! derr...

Thanks man! The APC40 makes a lot of sense to me now :)