really close to selling.my push

Discuss Push with other users.
arthur101

really close to selling.my push

Post by arthur101 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:27 pm

so i got push a few weeks ago. i was super excited before hand and was scouring the net to gwt my hands.on one. i probably expected too much of it.

i just cant seem to get into it. it slows down my workflow too much. i dunno. im just a bit disappointed with it. havent made any enjoyable musi since ive had it.

ive been using ableton for a. few years just with the computer mostly. i have a.laucnhapd too.

possibly juat set in my ways i think. but it has brought very little benefit that i can see

:(

panten

Re: really close to selling.my push

Post by panten » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:33 pm

I'd be tempted to resist the urge to get rid of it. I'm not sure if you're looking for some reassuring words to convince you to NOT sell it but...

Spend a bit more time with it, relax into learning this new workflow and play around with it with the mindset of having fun. Try just jamming on one instrument for a while in various scales in and out of chromatic mode.

Learn the workflow button presses until they become muscle memory and I mean really learn it. It will become like second nature to quickly flip from devices to clip mode to Mashing up your own tracks in Session mode to recording a bit of automation to laying down some new variations of your clips or variations of a 2 bar beat by using the loop control pads in DrumRack mode.

Hold off until nativeKontrol release PXT-Live scripts (there is some awesome extra functionality coming to Push courtesy of Stray's hard and innovative work)
*edit* My mistake I think he already has released PXT
- http://www.nativekontrol.com/PXT-Live.html
Videos will probably do it way more justice than my words can describe.

A few weeks isn't really a good amount of time to make a good informed decision.

Embrace the change and see where it takes you. If you still hate it after a few months then stick it on ebay :)

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:42 pm

I'd have to agree with panten. I had my push for 3 to 4 weeks and had the same feelings but then one day everything started to click and I became much more comfortable with the workflow and navigation. Now, I'm waiting for my second push to arrive, hopefully next week. Live 9 is great but it just doesn't seem to be as much fun without Push the picture. It's very important to enjoy your setup, give it some serious thought before pulling the trigger. Good luck…
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

arthur101

Post by arthur101 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:04 am

hey guys

i guess i must have been looking for some ecouragement really and reasons not to sell.

i should put some thought into what i want it to be

really i had intended it as a performance tool to replace the laucnhpad and zero sl i had been using.

but because of he functionality i had been using it as a production tool and ended up using abletons preset istruments a lot cos thats whwre the browser was directing me.

but then thats what was annoying me. I was doing things in my production that i would never normally do becasue the way i normally do stuff couldnt be done from push!

i should give it some more time and ill try it for a while in the functin that i bought it for.

in the back of my mind i kinda suspect that after a few more updates itll have added the functionality that its missing so far.

although im also thinking get my 400 quid back on it and buy a second launchpad on ebay for 80 quid.

but then im just falling back to the launchpad as it i know it inside out. back when i bought it i didnt utilise it fully at the start.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:19 pm

arthur101 wrote:I was doing things in my production that i would never normally do becasue the way i normally do stuff couldnt be done from push!
is that really a bad thing?
in the back of my mind i kinda suspect that after a few more updates itll have added the functionality that its missing so far.
yup

arthur101

Post by arthur101 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:58 pm

sowhoso wrote:
arthur101 wrote:I was doing things in my production that i would never normally do becasue the way i normally do stuff couldnt be done from push!
is that really a bad thing?
no its not. but i meant more that ive been having to do things in an awkward way rather than the way i would like to do them.

for example i spent the last 2 hours on ableton on my other computer (not in the same house where my push is - long story)

and ive had far more fun and got more done than i have in weeks of using push. i just find using push very awkward.

tonight ive been using loads of sends and fiddling with routings and making feeedback/resampling/slicing to midi/sending/resampling

cant do any of that with push.

its much faster to add a new track and add devices using my keyboard and mouse than it is with push. move them around in the chain. map macros. fiddle with audio loops. all i can do much easier by hand.

arthur101

Post by arthur101 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 pm

sowhoso wrote:
yup
this is the only thing thats making me pause hittin the nuclear button.

my concern is that either ill sell it now and get back what i paid for it, but then they'll update it a few times and it'll do loads of the stuff i wanted it to do in the first place and i'll be ragin' or i hold on to it, the updates do flip all and then i sell it but only get 300 quid for it and i'll be ragin!

panten

Post by panten » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:32 pm

Just out of interest, what kind of functionality did you expect/now want from Push? I have a long list myself but would be interested in your opinion; as someone who is teetering on the edge of ditching it altogether.

I can live without a lot of stuff that I feel is missing from Push as I tend to construct my tracks using real time recording and for me a tactile surface is essential.

I've seen quite a number of early Push adopters who really didn't do their research before buying, then after tinkering for a few days decide it's not for them. I'm not saying this is your circumstance but I find this kind of impulse buying funny. More money than sense it seems.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:32 am

Yeah I wouldn't chuck in the towel too quickly. It's like anything that is new and requires some training. It will take time.

I was like that the first time I started using a control surface. Having spent over 10 years using a mouse to control tracks and then starting to do live recording I invested in a control surface so I could operate more controls quicker. I found that while it worked for the intention of doing mix downs and vocal recording, it went almost untouched when I was writing music and I still used the mouse to arm/solo and adjust tracks.

I too thought it was just a big waste of cash but it took probably a year to retrain my habits to reach for the control with the other hand instead of the mouse and it's a breeze now.

Probably one thing to keep in mind is that it's just a tool. You don't have to use it all the time or rely on it as the only way to do things, just another way.

arthur101

Post by arthur101 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:47 pm

panten wrote: More money than sense it seems.
ha i wish! if i had then i wdnt care that i had blown 400 quid on the damn thing.

i get a new bit kit once a year and this year i went for push. i watched as many videos and read as much as i could find.

but nowhere in northern ireland (where i live) had them in stock so i couldnt try it out for myself.

what id have liked is much more capability around using audio,eg. - editing clips.

using the browser is quite annoying too

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:07 pm

in my opinion, the browser is a red herring. Forget about it. The LCD screen is there for feedback on the controls, the browser just isnt quite there for regular use, imo. Good for saying 'oh, i really need a saturator on this track', but you wouldnt want to build your whole song using it. Set up a big set with a bunch of instruments in different categories, a few drum kits, some basses, some leads, etc.

Then play. The appeal is the pads, and the touchstrip, and the restructurable knob controls. Play with them, Make Music. ;D

Do that for a few weeks, then tell me you want to sell it.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Well I had had enough of my Push it has been sitting there unused.

Then I saw this post about a fix for the crap encoder resolution viewtopic.php?f=55&t=193800 from metastatik, this fixed one of the major issues I have with push controlling parameters with large ranges.

So I then thought I would get PXT-Live from the same guy: http://www.nativekontrol.com/PXT-Live.html

It is fantastic, suddenly Push is actually far more useful. I can actually see myself using it now.

The browser is still rubbish but thats a Live 9 thing really I suppose :(
Last edited by BobTheDog on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

panten

Post by panten » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:03 pm

I know Stray probably has some awesome videos being cooked up as we speak. I hope he really pushes PXT-Live marketing wise as it is REALLY excellent and something that should be shipped with Push.. I use it every time I open Live. It deserves as much exposure as possible as it fills in a Ton of missing features that are missing from the default.

'Get PXT or get rid of your Push' Stick that on your front page Ableton. ;)

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:40 pm

Rerading the manual of PXT it seems you can only step sequence 8 steps, is that correct?

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:02 pm

interceptor wrote:Rerading the manual of PXT it seems you can only step sequence 8 steps, is that correct?
Nope that is not correct. You can only see 8 at a time but you can change what 8 you are editing.

Repeat – Toggle (if pressed quickly) or momentarily (if held down) switch the Matrix to Edit Position Mode. In Edit Position Mode, the upper half of the Matrix selects the Edit Position, which is the portion of the Clip that you will edit. This supports multiple button presses to allow for an Edit Position range to be selected. Holding down the Shift button and pressing buttons in the upper half of the Matrix will select the Edit Position and Loop Position. The lower half of the Matrix selects the Loop Position, which is the portion of the Clip that will Loop. This supports multiple button presses to allow for a Loop Position range to be selected. In both cases, each button represents one sequencer page. The length of a sequencer page is determined by the selected Resolution.