Youtube ads, the American Empire and Myrnova's Italy

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Forge.

Youtube ads, the American Empire and Myrnova's Italy

Post by Forge. » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:18 pm

absolutely littered with ads now... seems to have really increased lately

the 30 second ones make me just close it altogether

what a total shame
Last edited by Forge. on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

pulsoc

Re: looks like they've finally destroyed youtube

Post by pulsoc » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Ad blocker fixes it

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:36 pm

what the actual commercials in the videos? I thought that just did the little pop-ups

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:40 pm

It’s the current revenue model. Sites get hundreds of millions of dollars thrown at them, just enough to get people hooked so that they can start commencing with the advertising. Nobody really stops and thinks about how these companies actually pay their bills and employees. It’s the latest “nothing is ever truly free”.

If Facebook decided to charge people just $5 a month to be a member it would be a ghost town.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Yeah, I've always had a feeling that it was on borrowed time and honestly if waiting for 5 secs to click "skip" means they will leave copyrighted stuff on there then that's fine really, but now they are doing 30 sec. ads on short videos and the other ads are on almost everything it's getting ridiculous

and somehow I doubt any of the artists will see any of that revenue

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:15 pm

I’m rarely on youtube unless it’s for something specific, but yeah, for those who are trying to replace cable with youtube or spend countless hours doing the clicking on links rabbit hole I wonder how they can stand it. Its constant stops being tossed at the perceived instant gratification.

The only other thing I noticed is it seems to be the same handful of ads over and over and it’s nothing I would be interested in most of the time.

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:40 pm

pulsoc wrote:Ad blocker fixes it
DIS :P

I like YT. Especially that ten part documentary about the origins of Google.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Its down to the uploader to select whether to have ads or not isn't it?

I had ads on my first blog and just as i earnt enough to trigger the first payment Google barred me for an undescribed infringement...

I'll not have them on my stuff for this reason, i'd prefer to give people visiting my website an uncluttered experience with links to people work i've actually used, respected rather than some spurious generated ads...

Cheers
D

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:30 pm

in my opinion "youtube" is the real revolution. Commercials are only 5 seconds here, it is worth it for what youtube offers.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:15 pm

S4racen wrote:Its down to the uploader to select whether to have ads or not isn't it?
Not if you are uploading copyrighted material. They gave up trying to block all that stuff and instead struck a deal with copyright owners to put ads on that material and split the profit with them.

It has gotten really annoying. Same ads over and over for sometimes 3 minute videos. It pretty much ensures that I'll never buy anything from the advertisers. What a pathetic way to advertise.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:
S4racen wrote:Its down to the uploader to select whether to have ads or not isn't it?
Not if you are uploading copyrighted material. They gave up trying to block all that stuff and instead struck a deal with copyright owners to put ads on that material and split the profit with them.

It has gotten really annoying. Same ads over and over for sometimes 3 minute videos. It pretty much ensures that I'll never buy anything from the advertisers. What a pathetic way to advertise.
Wow did not know that! Soundcloud will be doing that next.... Got bored of them pulling mixes so don't use them either!

Cheers
D

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 pm

SuburbanThug wrote:It pretty much ensures that I'll never buy anything from the advertisers.

Not even from Native Instruments?

If youtube adverts were a window into who I am then I am a menopausal woman with sleeping problems who loves to do laundry, mop the kitchen, and make mad beatz. :lol:

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:31 pm

myrnova wrote:in my opinion "youtube" is the real revolution. Commercials are only 5 seconds here, it is worth it for what youtube offers.
I agree, this is why I'm disappointed

the point really was now they are everywhere and some of them go for 30 seconds and it's on almost all of them

very annoying in playlists

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:37 pm

ok, but how could they survive without commercials? I mean, Youtube is a free service. Commercials are the penalty to pay, I guess?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:51 pm

myrnova wrote:ok, but how could they survive without commercials? I mean, Youtube is a free service. Commercials are the penalty to pay, I guess?
The old saying: "If it's "free service" on the internet you're not the customer - you're the product". i.e. a set of eyeballs/demographics/personal info delivered to advertisers.