reaktor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:58 pm

The issue you might run into with SM and CPU is due to its parallel processing; it computes its voices in groups of four (NI's Massive does the same thing)- it's actually more efficient than computing them singly.

ew

mdk

Post by mdk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:08 pm

nebulae wrote:Wow, that's brilliant! It looks really cool - nice work! How heavy is it on the CPU. Also, couldn't you do the same thing with those galbanum waves by making a rack with 4 samplers or simplers?

What else needs to be done with this synth, btw? How close to being done are you?
thanks..

cpu, i cant remember. i'll have to fire it up later and check it out. tbh i havent looked at it in a while.

unfortunately you couldnt do the same thing with racks / samplers because in the synths mod matrix any oscillator can modulate any other oscillator (audio and lfo). if sampler had an audio rate modulation input then you could. but it doesnt.

i dont really know how close to done it is. there are a few bugs which need fixing but i just havent got round to it. stuff like notes occasionally going dead, the sound cuts out when you change the mod routing. and then theres building presets, sorting out the UI.

thats why i decided to just let it go free as I dont know when i'll get around to it...
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

mdk

Post by mdk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:09 pm

ewistrand wrote:The issue you might run into with SM and CPU is due to its parallel processing; it computes its voices in groups of four (NI's Massive does the same thing)- it's actually more efficient than computing them singly.

ew
in some ways its good because if you are running one voice then the next 3 are free. :)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:10 pm

mdk wrote:
nebulae wrote:Wow, that's brilliant! It looks really cool - nice work! How heavy is it on the CPU. Also, couldn't you do the same thing with those galbanum waves by making a rack with 4 samplers or simplers?

What else needs to be done with this synth, btw? How close to being done are you?
thanks..

cpu, i cant remember. i'll have to fire it up later and check it out. tbh i havent looked at it in a while.

unfortunately you couldnt do the same thing with racks / samplers because in the synths mod matrix any oscillator can modulate any other oscillator (audio and lfo). if sampler had an audio rate modulation input then you could. but it doesnt.

i dont really know how close to done it is. there are a few bugs which need fixing but i just havent got round to it. stuff like notes occasionally going dead, the sound cuts out when you change the mod routing. and then theres building presets, sorting out the UI.

thats why i decided to just let it go free as I dont know when i'll get around to it...
Since I don't have SynthMaker, can you wrap it as a VSTi and post it for us?

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:50 pm

MDK - based on this thread I'm seriously considering Reaktor - thanks. Your coding kung fu is impressive - please re-write it in C# and Python just for good measure.

Am I correct to assume that the cool glitchy filters you're rocking in your DJ set are Reaktor based? Love how you're playing around with those loops.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

mdk

Post by mdk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:22 pm

right, here's the .dll of the SM synth.

http://relivethefuture.com/music/plugin ... Strain.dll

be warned it is quite buggy. :)

@nylarch

I think 2 implementations is enough for now. ;)

as for the stuff in that live radio set, it was before i had reaktor so its all done with racks and various plugins...a lot of Sonitex :

http://www.otiumfx.com/sonitex.php

which i still use a lot, takes ages to load but its worth it.
and various other bits and pieces.

i just mapped the on / off button of each plug to the pads on my kontrol49, well, some chain select as well..then some of the interesting params are mapped to the knobs and sliders...cutoffs, delay feedback...reverb size..that kind of thing..

these days i would use reaktor so i could take it to the next level..

automate the automations :D

signal

Post by signal » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:39 pm

This utility is seriously helping me get over a lingering Reaktor sampling hangover I gave myself a while back after many months of instrument building and tinkering. Cheers, MDK.

The map interface is indeed one of the most irritating aspects of Reaktor. The problem is that loading those maps with good stuff really unlocks some of the best aspects of the program. It can just be sooo tedious.

I've actually been revisiting the bundled synths recently and have rediscovered and found homes for some patches I created years ago but never used. The fact that there is such a variety of content available both from NI and the user community means that, even if you don't have an immediate practical application for a particular sound you find or come up w/ while fiddling around, the chances of slotting it in somewhere down the road are good.

It's hard to overstate the variety of the instruments available in the User Library. Some of them are redundant or simply crap, but there is a good bit of gold there. It's interesting, as well, picking up useful ideas that may not have otherwise occurred to you just by picking them apart to see what makes them tick and eventually creating your own hybrids out of your favorites. Reaktor is as easy or as hard to use as you want it to be.

By the same token, I'd say CPU concerns would be at the bottom of the list of reasons not to use it. A lot of the instruments have FX built into their signal paths that are easily bypassed or deleted depending on how much headroom you have. You can also easily choose from a wide range of master sampling frequencies from the front panel which lets you boost audio quality if you have the power or reduce if you don't.

mpresev

Post by mpresev » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:47 pm

I love

New School drum machine
Sine Beats

Carbon 2 is cool

Blue Matrix is very cool.
Ableton Live 6/Cubase SX3 and lots of samples.

www.myspace.com/bornslippy2

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:34 am

mdk,,,
have you posted this utility up on the REAKTOR N-I forum???
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

parma

Post by parma » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:09 am

mdk wrote:well, i couldnt get the ruby version working on the mac so i rewrote it in java. Its tested and works for me on both windows and osx. :D

I also added an option to set all the samples to loop, it should hopefully set the end loop point to the end of the sample.

you can get the app here :

http://relivethefuture.com/code/MapFileBuilder.jar

and the source here

http://relivethefuture.com/code/MapFileBuilder-src.zip

the source also has the eclipse config files so you should be able to just import it into eclipse if thats the kind of thing that interests you. :)

im going to add another feature when i get time, which is to allow you to choose to fill up each sample map.
I've been working with these a lot recently :

http://www.galbanum.com/products/archit ... eforms-ce/

which despite its 'cakewalk' tag is just a set of .wav files. really great for loading into a sampler and using as oscillators and lfos.

anyway, what I want is to make sample maps from those but without any gaps so you can switch maps and know you have a full 0->127 range for the select input. so expect that soon.

any other ideas are welcome.
this is a really helpful utility and helps alleviate the pain of creating "maps" for reaktor. thanks much!

is it possible in the future to be able to save a map in a directory other than the one containing the samples. Right now, if I create a map with the destination folder different from the one in which the samples reside, Reaktor can't find the sound files associated with the map. Is it possible to make the map refer to the sample locations rather than where the map resides. I hope that makes sense.

mdk

Post by mdk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:31 am

parma wrote:is it possible in the future to be able to save a map in a directory other than the one containing the samples. Right now, if I create a map with the destination folder different from the one in which the samples reside, Reaktor can't find the sound files associated with the map. Is it possible to make the map refer to the sample locations rather than where the map resides. I hope that makes sense.
yeah, it should work like that now. if you can email me
mdk at relivethefuture dot com

let me know what platform you are using and the paths you are using when it doesnt work then we'll take it from there. probably just a little bug somewhere. :)

@homebelly, i only posted the original ruby version on a thread about sample map editing. i'll post the new one once i get this bug sorted with parma.

im happy that people are finding it useful.

parma

Post by parma » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:36 pm

mdk wrote:
parma wrote:is it possible in the future to be able to save a map in a directory other than the one containing the samples. Right now, if I create a map with the destination folder different from the one in which the samples reside, Reaktor can't find the sound files associated with the map. Is it possible to make the map refer to the sample locations rather than where the map resides. I hope that makes sense.
yeah, it should work like that now. if you can email me
mdk at relivethefuture dot com

let me know what platform you are using and the paths you are using when it doesnt work then we'll take it from there. probably just a little bug somewhere. :)

@homebelly, i only posted the original ruby version on a thread about sample map editing. i'll post the new one once i get this bug sorted with parma.

im happy that people are finding it useful.
hey mdk -

just sent you an email.

briahsdad

Re: reaktor

Post by briahsdad » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:12 am

So is reaktor just another thing like M4L? Is it worth the 99 bucks? and I am guessing the cool things like the finger and the mouth are not part of that thing in general.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:01 am

It is maybe like a slightly simpler version of Max/MSP. The Mouth and Finger are separate NI plugins but from what I just read there might be Reaktor versions. Check the Reaktor user library.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:29 am

SuburbanThug wrote:The Mouth and Finger are separate NI plugins but from what I just read there might be Reaktor versions.
the Mouth and Finger are Reaktor ensembles, which means they can be run in either Reaktor Player, or the full version of Reaktor.