32 bit version with 8GB Ram on Macbook Pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zenek

32 bit version with 8GB Ram on Macbook Pro

Post by Zenek » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Im about to buy 8gb of ram for my Macbook Pro early 2011, for now i have 4gb of ram and Suite 9 32bit, but im worry to upgrade my ram to 8gb because i have read about the "out of memory" issue using it with the 32 bit version.

I dont want to switch to 64 bit version because my plugins are only 32bit version and i dont want to use J Bridge

Someone using Live 32 bit version with 8gb of ram without issues?

Guillermo Barrancos

Re: 32 bit version with 8GB Ram on Macbook Pro

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Zenek wrote:Im about to buy 8gb of ram for my Macbook Pro early 2011, for now i have 4gb of ram and Suite 9 32bit, but im worry to upgrade my ram to 8gb because i have read about the "out of memory" issue using it with the 32 bit version.

I dont want to switch to 64 bit version because my plugins are only 32bit version and i dont want to use J Bridge

If you run out of RAM, you will have to switch to 64bit. Otherwise upgrading your Mac to 8GB of RAM is totally pointless.

So first, you will have to use 64bit OS to even be able to address more than 4GB of RAM.
Then you will have to switch to 64bit version of Ableton to be able to use all that RAM.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but there is no other way.

Fantismo

Post by Fantismo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:28 pm

i had this issue - i now use a rmbp - 16g - live 64bit - and its real good - lose the old plugs, they'll catch up (you'll hope) get a quicker system and more productive workflow.. i use a handfull of plugs u-he, plogue, UAD and im super happy and my most productive!

Zenek

Post by Zenek » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Guillermo Barrancos wrote:
Zenek wrote:Im about to buy 8gb of ram for my Macbook Pro early 2011, for now i have 4gb of ram and Suite 9 32bit, but im worry to upgrade my ram to 8gb because i have read about the "out of memory" issue using it with the 32 bit version.

If you run out of RAM, you will have to switch to 64bit. Otherwise upgrading your Mac to 8GB of RAM is totally pointless.

So first, you will have to use 64bit OS to even be able to address more than 4GB of RAM.
Then you will have to switch to 64bit version of Ableton to be able to use all that RAM.

Thanks for the reply, my real point is if the issue of "out of memory " is a constant?... I had another machine, an iMac with 8gb of ram with 32 bit version and running fine, until now, i mean, the issue is random or is present when you have a lot of plugins running?

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Zenek wrote:

Thanks for the reply, my real point is if the issue of "out of memory " is a constant?... I had another machine, an iMac with 8gb of ram with 32 bit version and running fine, until now, i mean, the issue is random or is present when you have a lot of plugins running?
Ofcourse, the more plugins you got running, the more RAM you will use.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:25 pm

that's not quite right.

on that machine you can run the 32 bit version of Live with OS X in 64 bit mode. the operating system will then be able to give Live a full 4 GB if required. if you run the whole system in 32 bit mode, then Live must share the 4 GB with everything else running on the machine, including the operating system.

Zenek

Post by Zenek » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:49 pm

fishmonkey wrote:

that's not quite right.

on that machine you can run the 32 bit version of Live with OS X in 64 bit mode. the operating system will then be able to give Live a full 4 GB if required. if you run the whole system in 32 bit mode, then Live must share the 4 GB with everything else running on the machine, including the operating system.
Yeah well im using Mountain Lion 64 bit obvious, in both machines, iMac 8gb ram and Macbook Pro 4gb ram, and Live 32 bit version, so the issue "out of ram" is not a rule, right? Now i have on iMac a project for test with a lot of plugins and with the CPU meter on 64% in Live and run fine...

Im just afraid to upgrade the ram of my Macbook to 8gb ram and that appears that issue

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:52 am

If you use a lot of sample-based synths memory can run tight (takes me less than one 8Dio product to use over 4GB, for example), but Analog etc. is all about CPU (or hard drive speed, if you freeze them, I guess).

A 64-bit OS with lots of RAM is never a bad thing. At the very least it means you don't have to shut down everything to give 32-bit Live everything it can use. I'd urge the plug-in manufacturers to update if they're still around, though :)

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:39 am

Zenek wrote: Im just afraid to upgrade the ram of my Macbook to 8gb ram and that appears that issue
there is no reason not to increase the RAM on the MBP. it can only help. nothing will get worse because you added more memory.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:58 am

I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro wit 8 gb of RAM. I run 32 bit Live because I dont have any problems at all! Have not yet felt the need to upgrade to 64 bit! Runs great!

Zenek

Post by Zenek » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Ok thanks to all for replies! I'll get more ram 8)

Zenek

Post by Zenek » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:36 pm

Ok thanks to all for the replies! I'll get more ram 8)

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Unless something has changed a 32 bit app has a RAM limit of less than 4gb.
I use 64bit OS and keep 32 and 64 bit Live installed.

What plugins are using up your resources?