Are you ready to talk to inanimate objects?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Are you ready to talk to inanimate objects?

Post by beats me » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:27 pm

All arrows in tech seem to be pointing to a world where you’re verbally telling all your gadgets, appliances, and vehicles what to do. Even asking for suggestions when you’re just not quite sure how they can best take care of your needs.

And sadly this might become the only verbal conversations outside work we’ll be having on a regular basis. "So I was talking with my TV the other day and....." :x

lowshelf

Re: Are you ready to talk to inanimate objects?

Post by lowshelf » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:48 pm

beats me wrote:And sadly this might become the only verbal conversations outside work we’ll be having on a regular basis. "So I was talking with my TV the other day and....." :x
Conversation is the currency of the day. I have speech synthesis built into a lot of apps and it's way clever, in a non-sentient fashion. Just been out on me bike and the best non-shop convo I had began with a geezer giving me an unabashed shout, "GOT ANY WEED?!"

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:03 pm

"So I was talking with my TV the other day and....."

"I don't care what no TV said, I didn't touch the damn thing" said the toaster

"Like you'd remember, you were out of it man. All over the fridge, trying to get more vodka. It was creepy"

"Who the fuck asked you? Just finish your damn spin cycle, it's doing my head in"

rozling

Post by rozling » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:06 pm

I, for one, cannot bloody wait.
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:Hell is other people

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:50 pm

bahh... I don't think it will catch on as much as the movies make you think..

Shit like that is usually more annoying than anything.

Maybe I'm wrong, my son seems to love using it on his phone and the tablet no matter how infuriating it is, but it's the kind of shit that could make me hurl it off the balcony

I have enough trouble with fucking auto-correct

and that bitch who answers the phone at every company you ring now can press her own fucking numbers.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Oh yeah, that glorious day when my chair says "lay off the pies fat boy. " and runs off

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:32 pm

I've read about future toilets with urine analysers that will notify medical insurance companies and employers.

Pilots and day laborers will get them first i'm sure.

andydes

Post by andydes » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:16 pm

knotkranky wrote:I've read about future toilets with urine analysers that will notify medical insurance companies and employers.

Why the fuck would I buy a can that grasses me up to my boss and insurance company?

Sounds like one of those genius inventions that has absolutely no market.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:11 pm

andydes wrote:
knotkranky wrote:I've read about future toilets with urine analysers that will notify medical insurance companies and employers.

Why the fuck would I buy a can that grasses me up to my boss and insurance company?

Sounds like one of those genius inventions that has absolutely no market.
Oh no worries, the gov will buy and install without hassles :wink:

Toilet says; Mr andydes, your health insurance premium has increased because your blood sugar level is past the contracted limit. Please contact your employer's health care provider. Thank you and have a pleasant day. <flush>

andydes

Post by andydes » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:45 pm

knotkranky wrote:
Toilet says; Mr andydes, your health insurance premium has increased because your blood sugar level is past the contracted limit. Please contact your employer's health care provider. Thank you and have a pleasant day. <flush>
Oh great, I have enough doomsday scenarios running round in head, and people keep thinking up new ways to make the future suck even harder.

I used to be an optimist, you know.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:49 pm

rozling wrote:I, for one, cannot bloody wait.
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:Hell is other people
Bad quote from a past genious who can say bullshit before people not knowing he's change his mind, as Freud could have been by at first praise cocaine use for medical prurposes (and addiction to morphine cure) ; writing Über coca then four years later turn back to the former statement with little care about the many dead by cocaine + WTF or alone intoxication...
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:45 am

andydes wrote:
knotkranky wrote:
Oh great, I have enough doomsday scenarios running round in head, and people keep thinking up new ways to make the future suck even harder.

Yeah, me too. It's gonna get really weird. I feel bad for the youngins. Tho, I might be too set in ways to really understand newer generations like most later generation peeps.... Of fuck, maybe I don't get the new kids at all 8O

My young nephs dress like 70's hippies. Jam in Cream bands and smoke tons of weed. not kidding :?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:02 am

knotkranky wrote:
andydes wrote:
knotkranky wrote:

Yeah, me too. It's gonna get really weird. I feel bad for the youngins. Tho, I might be too set in ways to really understand newer generations like most later generation peeps.... Of fuck, maybe I don't get the new kids at all 8O

My young nephs dress like 70's hippies. Jam in Cream bands and smoke tons of weed. not kidding :?
honestly I nearly deactivated (seeing as you can't delete) facebook yesterday because that's where I get my news stream. Because I follow people like john pilger, noam chomsky and various alternative news sites that tell you the really ugly shit that they don't even tell you in the mainstream news it's like a constant stream of hideousness.

But you know, as perverse as it might sound, I think you could argue things might actually getting better overall, the only thing that has changed is that we're finding out about shit that we didn't know about before. If you think about the 60s when they had people like LBJ, Kissinger and Nixon doing their really evil shit and nobody knew what they were doing or could do anything about it really. People could actually be conscripted up to fight in Vietnam which was maybe even more insane than Iraq etc, at least there was no conscription this time around.

The point is we are starting to see things globally and it's not so easy to just pretend your own little world is all there is. Before the internet, or maybe TV when people like Pilger started going to these wars like Vietnam and telling people what was going on and showing pictures, people got a much more sanitised version so they didn't protest or speak out so much. The fact that people are rising up all over the world is a good thing. In many ways I think this NSA spying stuff is a lot about them panicking because people are getting so fed up and rising up.. That's why Occupy is high on their list.

I remember a history professor about 20 years ago saying that revolutions usually happen when things start getting better, because before then people are too busy surviving.

I don't know. I could very easily send myself crazy thinking about all this terrible shit. It would be nice to find a balance though so I don't drop out all together and not give a shit at all. We're well conditioned in the west to feel like we can't do anything about anything.

Someone posted on facebook something very apt:
in Brazil, hundreds of thousands of people marched on the streets to protest bus fare hike.

meanwhile, in the US/UK where a historic leak on global surveillance has been confirmed... meh.

must be flouride in the drinking water. lolz.

conspiracy theorists: 1, sheeples: zero, card-carrying skeptics: still debating about God/atheism.

pass the GMO popcorn please!

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:17 am

First thing i think of is Hacker Culture and these kids in the middle east making satellite receivers from garbage.

I like your assessment cuz it's positive. And people always find a way to respond. It just doesn't feel good tho and ya gotta keep pushing back regardless imo.