What do you do for a living?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Angstrom

Re: What do you do for a living?

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm self employed web dev,
I make web applications for NGOs which collate data from various affiliate databases, I rationalise them and provide search / sort / filter functions on them and then wrap it all up in a web API for the affilates to use.
My job is to think like an end user and convince the many and various overlapping committees into allowing an end-user-centric interface to their data, rather than delivering one which merely mirrors the stakeholders prejudices and funding parameters.

It's a pretty fucking weird job really.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Teaching fellow and graduate assistant at a state school while working on a doctorate in music at the university's college of music, which is one of the largest in the states. I teach courses in ear training and sight singing as well as a course on Finale. Also assist with a couple of graduate courses producing video casts of the lectures. Second job is in the school's music library, which boasts one of the most impressive collections in the country. I run the audio preservation studio where I transfer old media (LP, 78s, cassette, RDAT, DAT, open reel, and even cylinders[!]) to digital and do restoration depending on the quality of the recordings.

I supplement all that with various gigs on bass, voice, and trombone, and the occasional arranging or music typesetting job.
Unsound Designer

rote fahne

Post by rote fahne » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Disabled.

Before I had several jobs. I studied agronomics, 3 years. Then I did civil service,national photographic archives, I'm an expert in black and white silver gelatine printing. Was in other types of darkrooms too. Then I went abroad for a year (Italy), then I worked for local government, for postoffice, I cleaned offices then I worked for pensionfunds, calculating and disbursment.

Always done work 100 points below my IQ. Got low EQ, could be the reason.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:47 pm

andydes wrote:
Theo Void wrote:I'm an adolescent drug and alcohol counselor.
What kind of idiot sees an adolescent for drink and drugs counseling? Someone looking to do more?

I'm an Engineer. I like the variety. I get to design stuff on a computer, play with hazardous equipment in a lab and occasionally beat the crap out of things with a big hammer.

And another props to knotkranky. I'd like to think I could do the same (not entirely sure though).
I'm not the adolescent, I counsel the adolescents. lol.

WOW, I kinda figured there were some smart people on this forum w/ some really interesting careers and i was right! Some amazing stuff here. Some things I never even knew existed!

Ableton users: Making the world a better place, and no one even knows it!!!!

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Super big thanx for the props fellas. I get little from rest of fam :roll: To think that anyone here couldn't do the same, i could never repeat it myself. I though it would be 6 to 8 months and then events extended it. And I just didn't give up cuz he's been my mentor after bio-dad split at 10. It really makes it easier ) First day, I just thought of getting good food into the dude and off the insane 12 meds! Fucking doctors are often more terrible than they are helpful. Or worse!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:38 pm

^ *hats off*

good man.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:04 pm

cheers brah.

I'm ready to make noise tho! Gotta a whole new way to work going. It's gonna be a productive music year. Ramen is fine 8)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:39 am

I SELL BLOW AND FUCK WHORES FOR A LIVING THESE DAYS.

HEY, IT BEATS WORKING.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:52 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:I SELL BLOW AND FUCK WHORES FOR A LIVING THESE DAYS.

HEY, IT BEATS WORKING.

:x
Sounds like a great career to me!!!

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Architect. In China. Means I don't have a life. I managed to get 2 tracks finished within 1.5 years and music is pretty much the only thing I do in my free time lol (besides gf).

So I quit one week ago. My stuff including studio is already on the way to europe, and i am preparing for some traveling in sri lanka and india. After 3.5 years of chinese hyper capitalism i feel like spending a couple of months in auroville might be a good redemy.

Might come back to china though, teamed up with my bro who is a full time musician. I am 32, but I didnt entirely give up the " rock star dream " yet. I believe that being in the right place at the right time could still get me somewhere in music. China might just be the place as i feel there's a growing interest of people for independent music.

Obviously it is necessary to change the job. But man, i hate to leave this place.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Just finished my BSc in biochemistry, and will move to China for 2 years for my MCs in nanoscience, starting this fall.

I could be making fat beats one day and cure cancer the next :x

But music kind of died lately. I have too many other things to focus on.

joefrost01

Post by joefrost01 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Computer programmer, mainly risk analytics for trading systems...fitting in a bit of music here and there when I can but there's never enough time

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:17 pm

h3rtz wrote:Architect. In China. Means I don't have a life. I managed to get 2 tracks finished within 1.5 years and music is pretty much the only thing I do in my free time lol (besides gf).

So I quit one week ago. My stuff including studio is already on the way to europe, and i am preparing for some traveling in sri lanka and india. After 3.5 years of chinese hyper capitalism i feel like spending a couple of months in auroville might be a good redemy.

Might come back to china though, teamed up with my bro who is a full time musician. I am 32, but I didnt entirely give up the " rock star dream " yet. I believe that being in the right place at the right time could still get me somewhere in music. China might just be the place as i feel there's a growing interest of people for independent music.

Obviously it is necessary to change the job. But man, i hate to leave this place.
Ya gots more about working music in China? Or what it's like to just live there? You speak Mandarin? I have great connections in China and fantasize about chucking it all for the adventure. 8)

I can cut and mix records like a champ. Maybe they need that. I dunno.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Nothing quite as noble as some of the other professions on here but I work as a 3D Artist for a video game developer creating characters & creatures all day. Took hard work to get the position and I love it.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:17 pm

^ | Mi-Mi-Mi-Do-Ti-La | Ti-La-Sol-La-Fa-Re |

Or for the Europeans

| Ti-Ti-Ti-Sol-Fi-Mi | Fi-Mi-Re-Mi-Do-La |
Unsound Designer