ABLETON + NIO 2/4 + Analog Four Elektron synthesizer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nullpointer

ABLETON + NIO 2/4 + Analog Four Elektron synthesizer

Post by nullpointer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi, I am trying to connect Analog Four Elektron synthesizer to Ableton but i can't :-(

1) I connect Analog Four Elektron's MIDI OUT to NIO 2/4's MIDI IN
2) I Connect NIO 2/4 to Mac OS X 10.8.3 by USB port
3) I go to preferences AUDIO -> I set as an AUDIO INPUT DEVICE nio 2/4 (2 in, 4 Out), I set as an AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE nio 2/4 (2 in, 4 Out). Input config -> 1/2 (stereo) Input config -> 1/2 (stereo) & 3/4 (stereo)
4) I go preferences MIDI Sync , where I see:
- Input: nio 2/4
- Input: nio 2/4 (Port 2)
- Output: nio 2/4
- Output: nio 2/4 (Port 2)

I select track ON and Sync ON for all of them
5) I insert an External Instrument to session.
6) in External Instrument conf.
I choose nio 2/4 & Ch.1 in "MIDI to"
and 1/2 in "Audio From"
7) I set ON to EXT but i can't listen anything, no signal seems to arrive

Thanks and Regards

wjbuchanan

Re: ABLETON + NIO 2/4 + Analog Four Elektron synthesizer

Post by wjbuchanan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi,
Sounds like you need to use the A4's MIDI IN, rather than the MIDI OUT, otherwise it won't be able to receive any MIDI data.

Cheers

nullpointer

Post by nullpointer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for the fast repay, but I want to send the sound from Analog Four Elektrons to Ableton to Editing it.... I have tried anyway but it doesn't works ;-)

pwdm

Post by pwdm » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Have you switched both audio inputs to line?
Facebook
Novation Nio, Novation Remote SL, Korg Padkontrol, Waldorf Blofeld, CME UF5, Ableton Live8, Max4Live, BCR2k, Akai APC20.

nullpointer

Post by nullpointer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:47 pm

yes ;-(

pwdm

Post by pwdm » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Not a Mac user so I can't help with that side of things.

You have two midi in/out from the nio. The nio only has one midi in/out.

Have you tried using the second midi in/out.

Can you see on your synth if it receiving midi?

If so is the synth actually producing sound.

Maybe obvious advice but its all i got.
Facebook
Novation Nio, Novation Remote SL, Korg Padkontrol, Waldorf Blofeld, CME UF5, Ableton Live8, Max4Live, BCR2k, Akai APC20.

wjbuchanan

Post by wjbuchanan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:34 pm

pwdm wrote:Not a Mac user so I can't help with that side of things.

You have two midi in/out from the nio. The nio only has one midi in/out.

Have you tried using the second midi in/out.

Can you see on your synth if it receiving midi?

If so is the synth actually producing sound.

Maybe obvious advice but its all i got.
I don't think the A4 will ever receive MIDI as he/she is using the MIDI OUT of the A4...which does not send MIDI notes by design by the way.

I'm assuming that the intention is to sequence the A4 using it's internal sequencer, and record the audio into Ableton? Could you clarify this?

I'm confused as you're setting the External Instrument "MIDI to" to the A4, but it will never receive this unless you are using the MIDI IN of the A4.

I think the best thing to do is forget MIDI for just now, and see if you can get the audio working whilst playing the A4 keyboard. Do you have an input port on the mac you can test with to rule out the Nio?

divonic

Post by divonic » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:42 pm

A few questions.

a) in your description you have not described any audio connections between the Analog 4 and the NIO. Is their an Audio connection between the two or have you just plugged a MIDI cable between the two?

b) if you have an audio connection between the two are you using cables that have 1/4" jacks on one side and RCA on the other or are you using an adapter?

c) have you set the switched on the side of the NIO for inputs 1 and input 2 two line?

d) what are you goals for this recording setup? The analog 4 has an internal sequencer, are you trying to record the audio that is coming from the A4 that you have programed in the A4 or do you want Live to control it (send notes etc to the a4)?

nullpointer

Post by nullpointer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi guys, first of all, thanks for the answer..
what i am trying to do basically is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4h--mV8rIg

a) I have just plugged a MIDI cable between the two
b) Maybe that's why.... the audio connection I don't have
c) Yes
d) Just record the audio that is coming from the A4, and editing it adding other tracks I have in Ableton and "create" the final song

divonic

Post by divonic » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:23 pm

nullpointer wrote:Hi guys, first of all, thanks for the answer..
what i am trying to do basically is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4h--mV8rIg

a) I have just plugged a MIDI cable between the two
b) Maybe that's why.... the audio connection I don't have
Yup you need an audio connection between the two.

It is a bit confusing but MIDI doesn't send sound it basically just sends note information (sorta like a piece of sheet music)

So for the time being you can ignore the MIDI routing. In fact unplug the MIDI cable for now. Lets get the sound from the A4 into Live. You will need cables with 1/4" connections one side to RCA connection on the other (they are pretty common) or you could use an adapter to get from the 1/4" pair out puts on the A4 to the RCA pair on the NIO but I'm not a fan of adapters unless that's all you have.

So plug the audio cables from the outputs on the A4 to the input on the NIO. It sounds like you set up the audio correctly in Live so start a new Live session.

You want to create a new audio track (You don't want an external instrument on a MIDI track.)

In the lower right hand corner of live there a number of buttons there is one that is I-O you want that one clicked on.

In your audio track there should now be a label "Audio from" with two pull down menus below it. the top one should be set to external audio and the second to 1/2. below that labeled Monitor there is three buttons IN AUTO and OFF set it to IN (for the time being) and hit play on your A4 you should have sound. if that works set it back to AUTO and then you can record external sounds.

There is a bit more setting up the MIDI so that you can record at the same tempo the a4 is playing at but my lunch break is done so I gotta bounce. Hope this helped I'll check back in a few hours and see if anyone has helped you thru the MIDI setup.

nullpointer

Post by nullpointer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:35 pm

you can wait 24h, I will have to buy the 1/4" connections cable ;-)

divonic

Post by divonic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:27 pm

The easiest and probably best MIDI setup for what you want to do is

Connect the MIDI cable from the MIDI out of the Analog 4 and to the MIDI in of the NIO.

In the Live MIDI settings: in from NIO the only thing you need turned on is sync but you can turn all three on and it will probably not make a difference.

Once you've exited the preferences in the upper left hand corner is a button with EXT in it, it should be lit.

on the audio channel (track) that you want to record too set the input type to Auto

Click the record button at the bottom of the audio channel rectangle with a black circle (it should turn red)

now hit play on the A4 and Live should start too. and you should be able to hear the sound of the A4 coming from what ever you listen to Live on.

click on an empty play button in the audio channel and record the stuff you've made on the A4.

hit stop for the audio channel

hit stop on the A4 (both the A4 and Live should stop)

turn off Ext Sync (upper left hand corner)

now you can play the sound you recorded.

Hope that helped.

nullpointer

Post by nullpointer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:44 pm

indeed, i need the audio cables from the outputs on the A4 to the input on the NIO.
Now it is working fine. Thanks to all !