Has Ableton said anything about changing Live 9's Browser?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pasha

Re: Has Ableton said anything about changing Live 9's Browser?

Post by Pasha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:29 am

sowhoso wrote:
Pasha wrote:Thanks. Should I assume your external drive is an SSD?

Best
Pasha
nope

Seagate 1TB 32meg Cache Hard Drive 7200rpm

edit: oops! i just remembered...that's the extra internal drive (the other internal drive has the OS). my external drive holds the project files

nevermind. LOL
Thank you. Is that one of those hybrid?

Best
Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Mirthan

Post by Mirthan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:53 am

I really don't understand why you guys are complaining. Live 9 browser is really organized,everything has its own folder. I really like it this way.
(Pm me if you need something. Always down to help.)

My social things:
https://soundcloud.com/mirthan
https://twitter.com/iamMirthan

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:08 am

ignorance is bliss

socialjusticeman

Post by socialjusticeman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:49 am

Just remove the "abletonindex" executable.

Just go to task manager or activity monitor, find the path to the executable and delete the damn thing.

Then just use finder or explorer to find files.

Who the hell wants to use Ableton's browser anyway?

You guys don't name your samples?

You don't keep them in reasonable folders?

just delete the process. Problem solved.

El Epho

Post by El Epho » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:42 pm

socialjusticeman wrote:Just remove the "abletonindex" executable.

Just go to task manager or activity monitor, find the path to the executable and delete the damn thing.

Then just use finder or explorer to find files.

Who the hell wants to use Ableton's browser anyway?

You guys don't name your samples?

You don't keep them in reasonable folders?

just delete the process. Problem solved.
Ok, Wait ... you have GOT to be shitting me! Really? There must be a kink in the hose here somewhere. This works on a PC, right? You mean to tell me that this huge problem that seems to bother a rather fully sized group of users is simply KILLSWITCHED? All someone has to do is just ... oh, I don't know ... USE THEIR COMPUTER? So just so I have this straight, all I will have to do (if I decide I do not prefer the stock Live 9 file operating system) is to simply use the same filing/sorting method that I have used since I created it 20+ years ago and this whole "Live 9's browser sucks" thing all just goes away?

Oh for the sake of ..... meh, whatever.

Seriously is it really just that easy to do? Just plain old "Don't use Live's filing system" ??? Really that easy, huh? Holy shit, I like it that much better already, and I have not even used Live 9 yet! I have bought the license and downloaded the program, but until I get the computer upgrade completed I cannot use Live 9 on a Pent4 with only 2gb RAM (at least that is what I've been told). I bought Live 9 now due to the availability of Live 9 at a fairly reduced cost, so that's why I bought the software first THEN the computer (in case anyone was wondering).

So I wonder if I can simply use the same filing sorting system in Live Lite 8 (y'know, the computer's own "DOS" so to speak) so I can get used to a sample naming/filing system now, and then be that much more proficient at it's operation when I get Live 9 online. How may I do this same operation in Live Lite 8 (so that I may try it out).

Thank you. :)
carpe diem bitches, die falling forward!

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:42 pm

of course you can use your OS's file system explorer, thats always worked and you can do it even without having to kill the indexer, but you lose out on any tempo sync preview with what your doing

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Mirthan wrote:I really don't understand why you guys are complaining. Live 9 browser is really organized,everything has its own folder. I really like it this way.
There is reason that you don't understand. It's not about organization. The design takes up additional system resources and time. My other DAWs have access to the same sample folders there is no appearance of the software glitching or waiting to access those folders.

El Epho

Post by El Epho » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:00 am

ezelkow1 wrote:of course you can use your OS's file system explorer, thats always worked and you can do it even without having to kill the indexer, but you lose out on any tempo sync preview with what your doing
Ah! "tempo sync preview" .... so I take it you can drag a sample into a tempo sync preview window and it will play back in sync with the DAW? Or is it something other than that?

Like I said I am new to the "sample culture" as I've heard it described and not used to using Live in the same way that some other people are. Which accounts for me not having heard of the tempo sync preview feature.

El Epho

Post by El Epho » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:08 am

kitekrazy wrote:
Mirthan wrote:I really don't understand why you guys are complaining. Live 9 browser is really organized,everything has its own folder. I really like it this way.
There is reason that you don't understand. It's not about organization. The design takes up additional system resources and time. My other DAWs have access to the same sample folders there is no appearance of the software glitching or waiting to access those folders.
Is that "glitching or waiting to access those folders" something new to Live? Was Live Lite 8 a better system? If so, perhaps that is why I've not noticed it. I own a license for Live 9 but have not installed it yet (I am in the middle of upgrading the computer I intend on using Live 9x64 bit with, so I've not been able to run Live 9 just now.) All I am able to run is Live Lite 8 on my other computers.

So did the folder system come into play between ver8 and ver9 then? Meaning the one in Live 8 was good enough but the changes meade in Live 9 are what everyone is not liking? Too bad there isn't a way to use Live 8's folder management system and Live 9's everything else.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:27 am

kitekrazy wrote:The design takes up additional system resources and time.
really?! where do you get this info from?

this thread

El Epho

Post by El Epho » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:27 pm

sowhoso wrote:

this thread
This is kinda what I've been wondering everytime I read something about L9's "horrible file system".

Is it really as bad as all that? Or is it simply different than what was served up in the past, then some people jump on the band wagon to join the choir?

To be honest I really don't know. I'm simply a spectator in the issue.

Jrel

Post by Jrel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:15 pm

The regular version has a slow startup because of the browser, but 9.0.5b5 beta seems to have shaved the browser loading time so that Live is ready within a few seconds instead of 10 seconds+.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:21 pm

sowhoso wrote:

this thread
Personal experience using Live 9.