Should I uninstall 32-bit and install 64, just for Melodyne?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Moosebear

Should I uninstall 32-bit and install 64, just for Melodyne?

Post by Moosebear » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:18 am

I really want to use Melodyne within Ableton 9. I tried installing it on my Imac, but Live 9 is only tested and supported for the 64-bit version, as their website states (their info below). I tried anyway on my 2008 IMAC, 4G Ram, Live9 32-bit, and got this error message:

"Some plug-ins could not be loaded and are disabled. VST "Melodyne" The VST Plug-in could not be found."

I'm considering uninstalling and loading the 64-bit version. Does that make sense?

I could do the same on my windows 7 laptop if that was a better idea, it at least has 6 gigs or Ram so might be able to use 64-bit.

Thanks, Moosebear

From Melodyne's website:
Ableton Live
The current version of the singletrack family (i.e. Melodyne editor, assistant and essential) is tested and supported by us in the following constellations:

Live 9.01 (64-bit) on Windows 7/8 or Mac OS X 10.7.5, 10.8.3 on Intel Macs (no G5 support anymore)
Live 8.2.8 (32-bit) on Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), Vista (32-bit), Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.4, 10.8.3 on Intel Macs (no G5 support anymore)

If your personal Live configuration differs from what we have tested, we encourage you to test Melodyne editor for 30 days free of charge. If Melodyne performs well on your system during the test period, it will still do so after you purchased it

Moosebear

Re: Should I uninstall 32-bit and install 64, just for Melodyne?

Post by Moosebear » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Any help to the NOOB greatly appreciated!

I don't WANT to uninstall and install, but if it's the only way... I really do need Melodyne.

I heard back from Melodyne support:

"thanks for your mail. We recommend using a 64 bit host whenever possible. On a Mac I would also recommend using AU as the plugin platform."

So I guess this would imply I should just do it, uninstall 32-bit and install 64? And... where do I select AU as the plugin platform? Is that an installation option?

Thanks for any help.
Moosebear

Mirthan

Post by Mirthan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 pm

There's no need to change. You can download a software called jBridge that allows you to create a 32 bit version of your 64 bit plugins or vice versa. I did it with Sylenth1 and a couple other plugins and it works perfectly. And being really cheap is definitely a plus. Hope that helps!
(Pm me if you need something. Always down to help.)

My social things:
https://soundcloud.com/mirthan
https://twitter.com/iamMirthan

Moosebear

Post by Moosebear » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:14 am

Great suggestion about JBridge, thanks Mirthan.

I'm trying to keep the hard drive of my IMAC as clean as possible, but that would be one way to try...

Tone61, thanks for your suggestion:

"Don't you think it's possible to have both 32- and 64bit versions installed at the same time?
At least I have Live8 for both 32 and 64bit and then 64bit Live9 as well.
ps. do you have any reason NOT to install 64bit Live???"

Just what I said above, I'm trying to maintain my install clean and simple... But if the 64 bit route works, I guess I could... uninstall the 32 bit one afterwards. I'd really just rather run one version of live.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:07 pm

i had a bunch of issues getting melodyne authorized on my 64 bit (windows) machine, which had nothing to do with the 'bitness'. but eventually it worked (was related to DEP), and i can use it either 32 or 64 bit, no problem. whatever your problem is, i doubt it's related to 32/64 bits....

Moosebear

Post by Moosebear » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:54 pm

theophilus wrote:whatever your problem is, i doubt it's related to 32/64 bits....
Thanks Theophilus, that's exactly the kind of experience I was hoping someone would share before I start madly removing and re-installing different versions of Ableton on my machine. Do you know specifically how your problem was overcome? (I also have a windows 7 64-bit machine I may try Melodyne on)

Was there a way to disable DEP? (I had to look up what that was, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention)

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm using Melodyne with Live 32 bit - No problem at all!!

I'm on a Mac if that makes any difference
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:24 pm

in windows, you can disable DEP for some 32 bit applications. you can't for 64 bit applications, but in my case, the melodyne activation assistant (which is a 32 bit application) would hang if i didn't disable DEP for it. (i also had this issue with Reaktor, btw). i don't know if there is an equivalent on the Mac, it doesn't look like there is any need for it with a quick web search.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:03 pm

I keep both versions installed. I don't want to buy jbridge. Some DAWs load both. Studio One and Live are the two I have that don't.

birthday boy

Post by birthday boy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Just for Melodyne? How about because...it's 64 bit man!