CPU 30% when the track is not playing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
K1D1M35N

CPU 30% when the track is not playing?

Post by K1D1M35N » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:04 am

Good day there folks,

lately I observed a strange behaviour with my L9 copy, concerning my notebook's CPU usage.

Even when my track (15 tracks, some audio, some Midi) is not playing, Process explorer (Win7) shows a usage of Live 9 at 30%. Normally I wouldn't care, but my notebook always fires up the fan when having this high usage permanently (which is quite loud).

Bug or feature? :D

Any hints appreciated.

Synthbuilder

Re: CPU 30% when the track is not playing?

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:08 pm

I've always found that Live reduces CPU when not playing. It's very efficient that way. But some things do make it use CPU when supposedly not doing anything.

Firstly, are there open plugin user interfaces open? I find if a plugin GUI is visible then CPU may be being used even if the plugin is doing nothing.

Secondly, having audio inputs activated. If you have an audio channel that is either in record or set to ON, Live has to process the very faint audio signal it's still getting from the input.

Thirdly, some audio feedback paths will cause odd things to happen, eg. tracks that send to themselves.

Finally, some plugins just take up CPU even when folded away and apparently doing nothing. 30% is a lot though.

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks for the hints.
Synthbuilder wrote:I've always found that Live reduces CPU when not playing. It's very efficient that way. But some things do make it use CPU when supposedly not doing anything.

Firstly, are there open plugin user interfaces open? I find if a plugin GUI is visible then CPU may be being used even if the plugin is doing nothing.

Secondly, having audio inputs activated. If you have an audio channel that is either in record or set to ON, Live has to process the very faint audio signal it's still getting from the input.

Thirdly, some audio feedback paths will cause odd things to happen, eg. tracks that send to themselves.

Finally, some plugins just take up CPU even when folded away and apparently doing nothing. 30% is a lot though.
Well, no open windows, no actiavated audio inputs and no feedback paths here - must be something different. The CPU usage of course does not appear when I open the track, but after playing.

mrobare

Post by mrobare » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:53 pm

hi

i had my sample rate set 192 and live would average 50%

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous
FL plugins Ozone 5, Autotune 7 Gibson SG
Fender Strat APC 40

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:00 pm

I encountered similar issues with Live 9, the engine seems not 100% stable as Live8 was for me. With the IK Vintage Compressor there are some audible crackles just in Live 9. The whole application needs more power, the abes stated that Live 9 will be more CPU friendly, this seems not true at all. Live 9 64bit working very unstable for me so i reinstalled the 32bit version.
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:24 pm

wehkah wrote:I encountered similar issues with Live 9, the engine seems not 100% stable as Live8 was for me. With the IK Vintage Compressor there are some audible crackles just in Live 9. The whole application needs more power, the abes stated that Live 9 will be more CPU friendly, this seems not true at all. Live 9 64bit working very unstable for me so i reinstalled the 32bit version.
do you have less glitches with the 32 bit version of live 9?

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Some effects use up CPU even when turned off.

Try this: make a copy of your set & start deleting effects, devices, & plugins to see if the CPU goes down.

You may find ways to reduce the CPU load by using less devices, alternative effects, etc.

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:04 am

I've had an empty set use just enough CPU to speed up the fans and remain there, so it's not just because of dormant effects not really being dormant. This has happened on either OS. My old MacBook had Live running overnight with 29% CPU constantly, and no actual set loaded.

tone61

Post by tone61 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:28 am

One big CPU consumer can be some Max4Live effects like LFO.

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Evengy wrote:
wehkah wrote:I encountered similar issues with Live 9, the engine seems not 100% stable as Live8 was for me. With the IK Vintage Compressor there are some audible crackles just in Live 9. The whole application needs more power, the abes stated that Live 9 will be more CPU friendly, this seems not true at all. Live 9 64bit working very unstable for me so i reinstalled the 32bit version.
do you have less glitches with the 32 bit version of live 9?
no vst issus still exist. i've tested all combinations of buffer settings too.
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop