I feel duped by Daft Punks new album

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Komodovaran

Re: I feel duped by Daft Punks new album

Post by Komodovaran » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:20 pm

beats me wrote:The Daft Punk Tron soundtrack is neither a great soundtrack nor a great Daft Punk album if you were to listen to it strictly from one of those viewpoints. But it’s highly praised because it’s Daft Punk scoring Tron.

Discuss.
The end credits track is SICK though!

:x

But something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxabLA7UQ9k
I think if a symphony orchestra could "press play", it would sound like this. It doesn't even take 2 minutes to forget how it sounded like.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:23 pm

I'm sure the whole time DP was just doing an album they wanted to do without caring about the response, and coincidentally on the business side (which they may not have even taken part in) whoever decided to promote it like it was the next James Cameron flick.

I think for people who feel let down should listen to Paft Dunk instead
https://soundcloud.com/paft-dunk/beasty ... uper-mario

thomas keeps a tiny skrillex in his pocket to run across the keyboards when his arms get tired.
ImageImage

Jack McOck

Post by Jack McOck » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 pm

I have read and reread this thread thoroughly; I have weighed the arguments and I have avoided listening to any of the album. And I'd just like to say, here and now, with all ye present to bear witness, that I believe in Nathann. And more importantly, that I believe in what he can do for this country.

Also, fuck artpunk.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:57 pm

Jack McOck wrote:I believe in Nathann. And more importantly, that I believe in what he can do for this country.
this.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 am

Jack McOck wrote:I have read and reread this thread thoroughly; I have weighed the arguments and I have avoided listening to any of the album. And I'd just like to say, here and now, with all ye present to bear witness, that I believe in Nathann. And more importantly, that I believe in what he can do for this country.

Also, fuck artpunk.
:D

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

lumpenzero

Post by lumpenzero » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:56 pm

After listening to the flac several times the vinyl sounds a bit muffled. I liked the highs, especially the closed hihats sounding crytal clear even if they are not harsh and are in the background. Compared A/B in in Live with Spectrum and shows that the highs are rolled off from 16.5 khz. I double checked that everythig is ok with my gear and my other vinyls. Have anyone noticed this? I googled it but no such complaints. Is it possibly a bad pressing?

Steve Ballmer

Post by Steve Ballmer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:11 pm

Vinyl will never be able to compete with digital. The quality is simply not there.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Vinyl is not the "organic free-range" of music, as some make it out to be. It's an inferior technology, which is inferior.

lumpenzero

Post by lumpenzero » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 pm

I didn't want to start a conversation on formats just to know what could be wrong because cutting at 16.5k is not in the spec sheet of vinyl and i have some records with 19khz+ frequencies. So it is clearly not the format's own - especially when it's a Columbia release. I have read many reviews stating this vinyl sounds awesome.

Steve Ballmer

Post by Steve Ballmer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Nono, it's the vinyl.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

lumpenzero

Post by lumpenzero » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:10 pm

OK then, thank you guys!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Maybe it has something to do with them wanting to emulate the 70's.

Their veteran engineer was probably like, "fukkit I'll just try the 70's preset on Ozone 3"
ImageImage

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:44 pm

The whole "vinyl thing" is based upon a fairly substantial throng of nouveau art-fags espousing it as the next best thing to a mint invasion. It's especially haute-couture to sit around in Starbucks like some shoegazer and discuss & admire the album art at great lengths while pretentiously sipping a caramel macchiato. The industry understands this of course and caters to it, pocketing boatloads of dosh off of the delusional faux-avante-garde clueless, desperate to seem "special and unordinary" who incidentally will change their focus to G.I. Joe dolls come October. :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:41 pm

lumpenzero wrote:After listening to the flac several times the vinyl sounds a bit muffled. I liked the highs, especially the closed hihats sounding crytal clear even if they are not harsh and are in the background. Compared A/B in in Live with Spectrum and shows that the highs are rolled off from 16.5 khz. I double checked that everythig is ok with my gear and my other vinyls. Have anyone noticed this? I googled it but no such complaints. Is it possibly a bad pressing?
vinyl should be richer sounding than CDs... FLAC is supposed to be a bit perfect copy of a CD.

try this... convert the FLAC to a CD and then compare that to the vinyl and see what you get. :idea:

lumpenzero

Post by lumpenzero » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Why on earth should i convert to CD when it is the same? Just doesn't make sense.
AFAIK the sound isn't richer on vinyl but engineers usually leave more dynamic range on vinyl masters.
However my post wasn't about the vinyl format itself i do agree this vinyl fashion is more about collecting and is less about music. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.