CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Please join the new beta forum at https://ableton.centercode.com/login.html
dboy
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by dboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Really frustrating trying to work with this as it is. None of the beta versions help at all. It appears as if this issue is being ignored. Anyone at Ableton working on this or even sees this behavior?

Evengy
Posts: 451
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:31 am

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by Evengy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:22 am

the spikes are on windows as well isn´t it? (i have them also) performance is really bad with live 9 ;-/

Fanu
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:50 pm
Location: Helsinki

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by Fanu » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 am

dboy wrote:It appears as if this issue is being ignored. Anyone at Ableton working on this or even sees this behavior?
I'm getting similar vibes, to be honest. It's a tool I need for my upcoming live performances, so it is a bit of a pain.
A reply from the support email said my set is too large, uses too many plugins, etc, but all I can say is it did not happen before so their response isn't valid, in my opinion.
I've always offered my fullest support for Live and I'm all up for helping Ableton make it the best piece of software there is but I'm feeling a bit let down at the moment.

More and more users are reporting this all the time so I'm a little surprised by how it's being handled. I'd love some sort of reply regarding whether it's being worked on or acknowledged or if they just write it off by saying all our sets are too heavy (and I doubt that's the case).
Image
Mastering & mixing by Fanu | Ableton Live Basics tutorial video
Mixing and mastering engineer | Ableton Certified Trainer

quadrant
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:36 am

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by quadrant » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Fanu wrote:
dboy wrote:It appears as if this issue is being ignored. Anyone at Ableton working on this or even sees this behavior?
I'm getting similar vibes, to be honest. It's a tool I need for my upcoming live performances, so it is a bit of a pain.
A reply from the support email said my set is too large, uses too many plugins, etc, but all I can say is it did not happen before so their response isn't valid, in my opinion.
I've always offered my fullest support for Live and I'm all up for helping Ableton make it the best piece of software there is but I'm feeling a bit let down at the moment.

More and more users are reporting this all the time so I'm a little surprised by how it's being handled. I'd love some sort of reply regarding whether it's being worked on or acknowledged or if they just write it off by saying all our sets are too heavy (and I doubt that's the case).
Not only that, but in my case, for instance, I'll get spikes to 110% on a part of the project that just played through fine (sometimes looping) several times before. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would expect the exact same passage to play through multiple times with roughly the same CPU load. What I'm seeing is a consistent 30-35% load, that then spikes between 70-110% with the attendant dropouts, only to "recover" and go back to normal. Anyone from Ableton care to comment on what could cause that?

dboy
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by dboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Same thing here. Heavy load in idle, spikes and fans going crazy on a very small project. Definitely something wrong in the way this is coded for OSX. Some feedback from Ableton on this would be appreciated at this point.

andresnol
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by andresnol » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:53 am

i thought something was wrong with my duet firewire, but same issue with internal soundcard.
even downgraded to osx 10.6.8

ableton 9.0.4 32bit
macbook pro i7, 16gb ram, osx 10.6.8

same sets that worked with live8 give me garble and stutter in live9. also affects recording and new projects.

[mal]
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:51 am

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by [mal] » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 am

Hi,

The more data we have from you, the easier we have tracking and fixing it. We have located a few bottlenecks, but to make sure this also benefits you send us projects showing issues to make sure our fix will solve your performance problems. Rest assured we find it very concerning that some of you experience quite fatal performance dips.

Ideally please save out the live set so it is loadable in both Live 8 and 9
When sending it, also attach a status report

Send this to beta@ableton.com

Best,
Mads

quadrant
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:36 am

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by quadrant » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:19 am

Hm, in the most recent project where I was having horrible spikes, the situation seems to have resolved itself, and the entire project plays straight through, only hitting ~35% at the most. Granted, I haven't worked with it all day (will try that this weekend). The only configuration change I made was unplugging my backup drive that Time Machine uses. I also restarted my machine fairly recently, but I've done that before and the issue persisted.

I thought it might be the latest 9.0.5 beta that did it, but I opened the project back up in 9.0.4, and it runs smoothly there too.

Mal, maybe you can answer this for me (and I think I already know the answer)... when Live shows you the percentage of CPU in the meter, is that basically an aggregated metric telling you how much of the wall clock time the audio engine took to process the buffer of samples, vs the amount of time it had to do it? So, for instance, if we're at 44.1kHz at a 512 sample buffer, if all 512 samples are ready to go in 4ms, on the busiest processor, that would read about 35% on the CPU meter, correct?

Now, if there are other processes on the machine, stealing cycles, and my previous assertion is true, that percentage would go up, right? Basically what I'm getting at is, it's possible that CPU spikes observed in Live aren't actually caused by Live itself but a different program using up CPU on the same cores?

mckayallday
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by mckayallday » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Any other users here using Soundtoys effects and having CPU issues? I am trying to track down the issue with Ableton support...

guardner
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:53 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by guardner » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:10 am

mckayallday wrote:Any other users here using Soundtoys effects and having CPU issues? I am trying to track down the issue with Ableton support...
No problems here with the latest soundtoys 64bit beta on 10.6.8.
I have several GUI problems with the beta (browser of soundtoys plugin is crashing Live sometimes).
---
Config:MacProQuad 3GHz,8G RAM,2xMio2882
Mac OS X.6.8, Live9suite, Logic 9, Cubase 6.5.
---
http://www.broombeck.de
http://www.guardner.de
http://www.berkstroem.de
http://www.marcusschmahl.de

mckayallday
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by mckayallday » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:26 am

guardner wrote:
mckayallday wrote:Any other users here using Soundtoys effects and having CPU issues? I am trying to track down the issue with Ableton support...
No problems here with the latest soundtoys 64bit beta on 10.6.8.
I have several GUI problems with the beta (browser of soundtoys plugin is crashing Live sometimes).

Hey, guardner, are you using jbridge as well? I have to bridge devil-loc, etc. since they aren't 64 bit yet.

fuzzyhead
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: Froggystan

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by fuzzyhead » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Still this problem with Ableton index when you launch Live:
I had folders under the "Places" lane, pointing to files located on external drive.
Had to delete those folders because when the external drive is not connected, the wheel of "Places" kept on spinning and trying to locate the drive with result Ableton index to climb to a 100% value and not dropping after a little while as expected..
I had to precise, this is with Live 9.0.5

[mal]
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:51 am

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by [mal] » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:04 am

Hi Fuzzyhead,

I tried adding folders to places and removing the drive, the label in the sidebar is correctly greyed out.
When I delete the folder from the drive, the label will stay there but will not show any files.

I did at no point see the ableton index consume 100% CPU, nor that it was trying to rebuild the DB with missing files.

Ideally, get in touch with support at support@ableton.com and send them a status report

Best,
Mads

Thom Nagy
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by Thom Nagy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm experiencing the same issues and it is highly frustrating.

A 2.7GHz i7 with 16GB of RAM should be able to handle almost anything, that I throw at it, yet I get CPU spikes (and audio crackle) of 62% when running this test here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191549

I'm thinking, it could also be Komplete 7 that's slowing down the system, as I had this issue on an older iMac.

Anyway: Ableton, please take care of this.

Valiumdupeuple
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 12:36 pm
Contact:

Re: CPU Issues with OSX and Live 9

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:43 pm

Thom Nagy wrote:I'm experiencing the same issues and it is highly frustrating.

A 2.7GHz i7 with 16GB of RAM should be able to handle almost anything, that I throw at it, yet I get CPU spikes (and audio crackle) of 62% when running this test here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191549

I'm thinking, it could also be Komplete 7 that's slowing down the system, as I had this issue on an older iMac.

Anyway: Ableton, please take care of this.
I don't think it's because of Komplete.

I do sound to picture and thus use Live everyday, and I don't use any 3rd party plugins or very very rarely; only Live and m4l, it can't be more "clean".
Powerfull quad i7 laptop on osx 6.8, and I also encounter a lot of performance hiccups since L9, fans crazyness... And best of all, it's quite random from day to day within same sets. And, as you said, those machines should be able to handle a fucking lot of almost anything.

Locked