Improvise effects COMBINATIONS via midi [SOLVED]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
quantesizer

Improvise effects COMBINATIONS via midi [SOLVED]

Post by quantesizer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:57 am

Are there some ways to improvise Combinations of effects overlapping them with a midi controller?
Last edited by quantesizer on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cotdagoo

Re: Improvise effects COMBINATIONS via midi

Post by cotdagoo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Sugar Bytes Turnado is fun for combining effects. Pick & mix 8 different effects with rotary knobs to control the dry/wet signal & intensity.

quantesizer

Post by quantesizer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:02 pm

I want, for example, 3 effects mapped in three different midi buttons: each button drop the effect and, if reclicked, delete the effect. The first button clicked puts the effect at 1° position in the chain, second button clicked puts the effect at 2° position etc. The order of effects in the chain must be improvised by the mapped buttons :) Is it possible?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:12 pm

route audio to another audio track...
have a rack with different fx on each chain...
map chains so chain selector will browse through them
map controller to chain selector and other knobs to fx param. control
record your tweakings into a looping "dummy clip" (on the fx track) or into the arrangement section
you can even utilize several dummy clips and 'follow actions' to record automation into several clips in session view

quantesizer

Post by quantesizer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:18 pm

3dot... wrote:route audio to another audio track...
have a rack with different fx on each chain...
map chains so chain selector will browse through them
map controller to chain selector and other knobs to fx param. control
record your tweakings into a looping "dummy clip" (on the fx track) or into the arrangement section
you can even utilize several dummy clips and 'follow actions' to record automation into several clips in session view

With this you mean that i will have some predefined combinations of fx..
I don't want predefined combinations, my problem is precisely this!
I would like to CONCATENATE fx on the fly, improvising their combinations

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:24 pm

By improvising combinations you mean swapping fx in and out changing the order on the fly? You can try the hot-swap features, but switching up the order on the fly probably isn't going to be immediate and fluid, since you'll have to drag and drop to rearrange the devices.

73*

Post by 73* » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:41 pm

You could accomplish this by making an FX rack with a variety of chains, and then have a bunch of these racks on a track. If each rack has the same/similar list of FX chains you could arbitrarily choose any one of the chains at any one of the insert points for the track by selecting the appropriate FX rack instance.

quantesizer

Post by quantesizer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:30 pm

TYLRbass wrote:By improvising combinations you mean swapping fx in and out changing the order on the fly? You can try the hot-swap features, but switching up the order on the fly probably isn't going to be immediate and fluid, since you'll have to drag and drop to rearrange the devices.

The hot swap button can't be mapped... I can't find a solution in this way...

quantesizer

Post by quantesizer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:33 pm

73* wrote:You could accomplish this by making an FX rack with a variety of chains, and then have a bunch of these racks on a track. If each rack has the same/similar list of FX chains you could arbitrarily choose any one of the chains at any one of the insert points for the track by selecting the appropriate FX rack instance.
This means that i will have a predefined combinations of fx chains, but i want to improvise on the fly each time the combinations!!

quantesizer

Post by quantesizer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:37 pm

the ideal would be move effects via API (with max for live) but no one was able to tell me how... I searched everywhere... the only thing I found was a script way, but it's very complicated...

quantesizer

Post by quantesizer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 pm

I can not believe yet that there is no way... Is possible that the software is totally unable do to this??

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:45 pm

I don't see what is wrong with 73's concept. It is nearly exactly what you are asking for.

You make one rack that has a knob that can browse through all the fx, plus a thru.

Then you duplicate that rack a few times.

Now you have three sequential 'fx slots', each with the ability to decide which fx type is in slot 1, 2, and 3 at any given moment.

Unless you are too lazy to choose what to put into the rack.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:55 pm

No you cant do this....

At least the way you ask it to be....

Cheers
D

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:07 pm

/Thread
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

dr.mysterium

Re: Improvise effects COMBINATIONS via midi [SOLVED]

Post by dr.mysterium » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:11 am

Artillery 2 vst by sugarbytes is a possible solution. The order of effects placed in the chain is determined by the
The order in which you press the keys on a midi keyboard that are assigned to these various effects.

From the website-
"The Artillery concept is as simple as effective: Effects are assigned to keyzones and can be triggered with MIDI notes in an intuitive and extremely flexible way. This way you are able to perform hair-raising sequences, and playfully put the effects you want in the places you want, whenever you want.

Artillery 2 now provides 28 innovative effects and unlimited creative possibilities: turn an EQ into a multiband comp with a set of envelope followers, let a looper scratch its buffer using a stepseq, play pitched delaytimes on the keyboard, or let ringmodulator´s pitches jam along the
transients of your audio signals. Even a vocoder with internal synth is included."
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.