Kind of - Some LED inconsistency
51%

Total votes: 100

Guillermo Barrancos

Re: Rise Rainbow Push...Rise!

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:24 am

drez wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
drez wrote: My Launchpad S: Does NOT have this problem in the slightest.
i dunno why Ableton chose white as a main colour when consistency was obviously going to be an issue.

the Launchpad is not a fair comparison though, as it presumably has individual LEDs for its limited colour set.
That's a fair point.

I wonder if the material they used to dope the LED was either not consistent from their vendor or they used a few different vendors that didn't match up well?
Then what about Livid Instruments Base then. 32 pads with full RGB LEDs for sure. Didn´t see nor hear any inconsistencies there.

And eventho Maschine MK2 has only 16 pads, they still manage to have it perfectly calibrated.

I mean come on now. We talking about a 599 dollar midi controller here. A lot of money.
It just means they don´t care and just go for the bottom line of maximum profit, by skimping on cheap uncalibrated LEDs! Refusing to toss out bad ones.

And like I said earlier, I have seen the new aquariumtrade LED units, containing up to 200+ RGB LEDs. Perfectly calibrated across the whole spectrum.
It´s all about the quality of the LEDs they use! Nothing more, nothing less!

For a 599 dollar unit, we should be able to expect AKAI / Ableton to use the highest quality LEDs and not just some cheap uncalibrated garbage! :evil:

turbomartin

Post by turbomartin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:52 am

I just received my unit, and sadly it does have a lot of pink shades instead of white.

Would be amazing if we could solve this in an simple manner.

The topic about customizing colors doesn't work (yet) for me. Anyone on Windows knows how to do it?

edit: this is the topic I meant:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=192043

Tauciu5

Post by Tauciu5 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:48 pm

turbomartin wrote:I just received my unit, and sadly it does have a lot of pink shades instead of white.

The topic about customizing colors doesn't work (yet) for me. Anyone on Windows knows how to do it?

Could you upload a picture of your push leds?

thronechild

Post by thronechild » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:08 pm

turbomartin wrote:I just received my unit, and sadly it does have a lot of pink shades instead of white.

I would like to make this a fairly official count of who has a normal push and who has a rainbow push. I will be contacting some of the other threads so if you guys see anyone asking about the issue lets get them over to this thread to vote on the poll. The more people see this is an issue and that ableton is trying to sweep it under the rug, the more chance we have for ableton to do something about it. If we can get the counts high enough...it might scare a little. :idea:
Guillermo Barrancos wrote:
Then what about Livid Instruments Base then. 32 pads with full RGB LEDs for sure. Didn´t see nor hear any inconsistencies there.

And eventho Maschine MK2 has only 16 pads, they still manage to have it perfectly calibrated.

I mean come on now. We talking about a 599 dollar midi controller here. A lot of money.
It just means they don´t care and just go for the bottom line of maximum profit, by skimping on cheap uncalibrated LEDs! Refusing to toss out bad ones.

And like I said earlier, I have seen the new aquariumtrade LED units, containing up to 200+ RGB LEDs. Perfectly calibrated across the whole spectrum.
It´s all about the quality of the LEDs they use! Nothing more, nothing less!

For a 599 dollar unit, we should be able to expect AKAI / Ableton to use the highest quality LEDs and not just some cheap uncalibrated garbage! :evil:
I think this is a clear case of someone not doing their job at either ableton or akai. Someone probably didn't think to build in a quality control clause in their manufacturing agreement and now they are probably stuck with a whole bunch of these units. Cheaper to ship them out than fix the problem.

thronechild

Post by thronechild » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Hey everyone, I started this thread and I wanted to give people a chance to show how good or bad their Push unit is, so I changed the Poll to add an option that was in between Rainbow and Normal. This has reset the poll so if everyone could revote I would really appreciate it!

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:44 pm

[Off-Topic but IMO on point here > headache ? ^^]

>>> If was a lucky guy about to play your lottery stuff hoping to have a calibrated Push, I would just shut my f***ing mouth up and stay calm to not be ... sorry if I look like moking you thronechild but could you please think abouut no Push owning before more than month of shipping time, thank you.

By the way, just because I'm here I have to place that :

Imagine you are Ableton. What would you tell to thronechlidren ?

1/ RGB processing is done by only three R, G & B LEDs, we prefered cutting costs by not putting the "W" one.

2/ It seems LED (say the blue one) aren't all the same hence the "issue" we are working on. Sorry.

>>> oh and Livid have the W one, so Livid is really off-topic here.

Shit I gave a clue to guess the good choice between the two options, sorry "Ableton".

>>> HOW TO LOOSE TEN MINUTES OF LIFE :mrgreen:

NB : France has some talented guy who wrote the .py solution for this monthes ago. It is even not specially "hidden", iit's public For once I choose the EVIL option not to copy/paste the link. Lame.
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:54 pm

It's not a judgement or aimed to you, or you there, or another, but about you to wait for Push while others can wait if they wish to, they would dream more precisely.

Let's play your game : it's a queestion of time before someone post some "it looks fucking gay" shit if you stay on your "rainbow" nickname for what you should fix yourself, 99,9999999999999...% being complete since after some Googling you'll have to do some basic stuff and stop polling while some others become frustrated.

You know what a Monome is ? They all have a self-made little defect somewhere. Signature.

In this case OK it's not hand-made stuff, but after all, if you know music production and performing, you don't mind about pressing off-scaled pads because ...

<pointless>
Antoine, aka Blendton.

thronechild

Post by thronechild » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Blendton wrote:It's not a judgement or aimed to you, or you there, or another, but about you to wait for Push while others can wait if they wish to, they would dream more precisely.

Let's play your game : it's a queestion of time before someone post some "it looks fucking gay" shit if you stay on your "rainbow" nickname for what you should fix yourself, 99,9999999999999...% being complete since after some Googling you'll have to do some basic stuff and stop polling while some others become frustrated.

You know what a Monome is ? They all have a self-made little defect somewhere. Signature.

In this case OK it's not hand-made stuff, but after all, if you know music production and performing, you don't mind about pressing off-scaled pads because ...

<pointless>
I waited for 3 months for my push after reading reviews and watching review videos. None of them mentioned the possibility of having discolored pads as a defect in the first run of the controller. I put my order in and waited in line like everyone else. I think the push controller would not have received such high marks if the reviewers were given the same units as us.

This is a controller as well as an instrument. If I were to buy a piano expecting white and black keys and then it showed up with pink purple white and black I would be just as disappointed.

Ableton should have either disclosed the defect during the marketing/review blitz, or they should be responding that we will fix it and make it right. Instead their response was cut and pasted on page one directly from their email. They would rather say they can not be bothered to match 64 pads properly.

I have had and currently have Maschine, sound activated LED stage lighting, and DMX controlled LED lighting with only RGB LED's. These are perfectly capable of creating a very consistent shade of white, as shown in some of the Push's pads. A white LED is not necessary. No one is upset at a slightly off shade of white, look at the picture on the first post, it is pink and purple in addition to the off white and off blue pads. This carries over to all modes not just the piano roll, but session view and drum rack mode as well. The LED's do not show the same shade of color no matter what is supposed to be shown.

Rainbow Push was a name not to slander gay people but to describe the variations in color. I could care less if they were all pink and blue, just so long as they were a consistent color.

If there were a fairly easy process to correcting the LED calibration I would do it. So far the changing colors in the python code does not seem like the easiest solution for non programmers like myself. If that is what they intended, then say that up front and give us a discount since we are finishing their job for them.

You come across as a judgemental person who doesn't know the facts before they speak. 8O

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:33 pm

thronechild wrote:
Blendton wrote:It's not a judgement or aimed to you, or you there, or another, but about you to wait for Push while others can wait if they wish to, they would dream more precisely.

<pointless>
I waited for 3 months for my push after reading reviews and watching review videos. None of them mentioned the possibility of having discolored pads as a defect in the first run of the controller. I put my order in and waited in line like everyone else. I think the push controller would not have received such high marks if the reviewers were given the same units as us.

This is a controller as well as an instrument. If I were to buy a piano expecting white and black keys and then it showed up with pink purple white and black I would be just as disappointed.

Ableton should have either disclosed the defect during the marketing/review blitz, or they should be responding that we will fix it and make it right. Instead their response was cut and pasted on page one directly from their email. They would rather say they can not be bothered to match 64 pads properly.

I have had and currently have Maschine, sound activated LED stage lighting, and DMX controlled LED lighting with only RGB LED's. These are perfectly capable of creating a very consistent shade of white, as shown in some of the Push's pads. A white LED is not necessary. No one is upset at a slightly off shade of white, look at the picture on the first post, it is pink and purple in addition to the off white and off blue pads. This carries over to all modes not just the piano roll, but session view and drum rack mode as well. The LED's do not show the same shade of color no matter what is supposed to be shown.

Rainbow Push was a name not to slander gay people but to describe the variations in color. I could care less if they were all pink and blue, just so long as they were a consistent color.

If there were a fairly easy process to correcting the LED calibration I would do it. So far the changing colors in the python code does not seem like the easiest solution for non programmers like myself. If that is what they intended, then say that up front and give us a discount since we are finishing their job for them.

You come across as a judgemental person who doesn't know the facts before they speak. 8O
Yes I do. Because I love helping and do things right for the person I try to put himself a little kickass to transmit this "when all you do is right you won't receive thanks because nobody sees you done anything at all".

I always and still HATES coding shit but since the "how-to" I have read was... readable. Disgusting but no more nor less than take your dog shit with a paper bag to trash it while being walking in the street...

I dunno wait for some helpers aware about how what always do is opften misunderstood but often on point in spite of some "looking like <something> tone or even sometimes being unreadable because of some "lanuage barrier", but trust me : I'm indeed fucking serious above and as I end this post.

Be a musician, when a little annoyance comes just solve it dude, there is a "for starters" how-to at your hands waiting for your motivation and self-improving natural instinct and I even told you the guy was french, he's often spotted on ableton.com since he's one of the few experts and certified people able to master the Max For Live complex feature like anyone else" ... C'mon...
Antoine, aka Blendton.

OXXXES

Post by OXXXES » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:32 pm

This is mine...I love the way the Push works but I agree this is a really cruddy job for $600 on the LED side :|
I'm going to see if I can edit the colors based on that other thread but even the solid blues and yellow seem to have a lot of variance on mine. If I can't figure anything out this weekend I think it'll go back until they release a fixed batch.
I don't understand what you're saying Blendton, he knows some fix for this? If so, why not just post it instead of talking vaguely about Googling and some French dude :mrgreen:

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:09 pm

OXXXES wrote:Image

This is mine...I love the way the Push works but I agree this is a really cruddy job for $600 on the LED side :|
I'm going to see if I can edit the colors based on that other thread but even the solid blues and yellow seem to have a lot of variance on mine. If I can't figure anything out this weekend I think it'll go back until they release a fixed batch.
I don't understand what you're saying Blendton, he knows some fix for this? If so, why not just post it instead of talking vaguely about Googling and some French dude :mrgreen:
For the simple reason a decent user, poster, I mean a musician able to record some audio material or just play it doesn't need me since I'm not a toilet paper bar with an auto-cleaning your ass and even thank you for doing so.

Get some work on Julian Bayle advances in things much more complex than that color fake issue.

Now because I'm also a critical thinking guy I must say that, indeed YES, white is not possible in what seems to be expected since Push pads all have their three R + G + B faking white color and YES, the fact that it's fixed or not doesn't prevent youu to feel angry about your shiny new gear looking like "unfinished product". As a musician "unfinished product" means a lot for me, since I consider every final mastered end-product from me as if it always had to be stated as "WIP".

Am I looking like not on point about music ? You have a Push ? I've just the software for two monthes now, doing what I hate so much : type & clicking bullshit sounding like if it was... Oops, indeed it IS sequenced boring crap.

As I said in another thread I even had to just play piano, like it's now for every a little visionary true electronic musician, some "enjoyable" feeling just to quickly make me think I never will create new stuff with physical cords hit by hammers, it's cool, for some minutes OK ?

And before I forget : my french stuff, sometime I write it voluntary vague and sometimes I just am looking like a drunk troll trying to look like if he saw the keys, but don't try to always use this turn-around to escape what I spot and what youu aren't such a dumnass to see what I'm "pushing" on where it hurts...

Cool, I told you the talented mate First + Last Name to google it and thank you for making me an ass-cleaning toilet paper posting the shit I reap.

(look like if I felt angry ? no way, I smile right now, and just remind you're born with a brain and also hands to manage the cleaning tasks lol)

Be hopeless before accusing and accept that little "Push unique bad : they all have their unique appearance, IMO it's cool, and I won't pay attention unless it does pushing a C2# sounding like if I hit an A, OK ? ^^)
Antoine, aka Blendton.

OXXXES

Post by OXXXES » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks for the name Blendton! I didn't mean to use you like toilet paper :lol: 8O

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:52 pm

OXXXES wrote:Thanks for the name Blendton! I didn't mean to use you like toilet paper :lol: 8O
In other words I may have said that in this way : while you typed the "about Googling and some French dude" part you missed the fact you know how to type "ableton push color python"

Guess what : one-shot, since I know hims being famous enough to be always in worst instances, on page 2 or 3 in Push discussions main topic.

ableton push color python

google type that and bing! it's not like if you had to program, although you could have to copy/paste pieces of codes, or not, not hard am I clear now ? ^^

first suggestion : owned WTF I found it not wanting to and expected a single retry (>>> no working mind always will ask never will be able to solve, pure logic, chance not taken into account).

Do you spot how I know being safe by trying... To make them aware they can "level up" theirselves, if they don't wish they ask some Blendstuff named guy but please, please admiit it was easy,

BUT : never saw a push. Don't know what happens if I don't do before doing a statement.

But we are many here to just let Julian solve then trust and be able to close boring threads with a big SOOOOOLVED :lol:
Antoine, aka Blendton.

thronechild

Post by thronechild » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:03 pm

It's like reading yoda. Its great that julian bayle put the info out but It's a work around not a solution, and it doesn't recalibrate LEDs, which is what is needed, it just lets you choose colors that don't show the problem as much. Regardless if we do this or not ableton should admit the problem and fix it.

Valour

Post by Valour » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:14 pm

thronechild wrote:It's like reading yoda. Its great that julian bayle put the info out but It's a work around not a solution, and it doesn't recalibrate LEDs, which is what is needed, it just lets you choose colors that don't show the problem as much. Regardless if we do this or not ableton should admit the problem and fix it.
Exactly.