Who thinks live 9 is a rip off? anyone else?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
misa

Re: Who thinks live 9 is a rip off? anyone else?

Post by misa » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 pm

3dot... wrote:imo...compared to the L8 release.. L9 is SOLID
I think people forget how bad L8 was when it was first released. I started using Live at the end of L7's life-cycle and it was very stable. The best bet is to keep using the previous version until everything gets ironed out.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:46 pm

Blendton wrote:Logic, it's the one I didn't work with enough to say something good...

I just was happy with my setup and remember having found a "style" related common thing between Logic and ... FL Studio lol

(shame on me since I use to do some little tricks with FLS and even pay the Signature bundle when it was 10...)

What I just wrote was lame. I really would like to test Logic Studio in-depth...
I finally took FL off of my hard drive (was tired of booting into Windows-lame) but I do miss it for certain stuff. There things you can do with it that you can't do in Live (one example- drawing LFO curves with automation clips or automatically turning automation into LFOs with one click) and some of the plugins are really cool. I use Logic for recording bands and it works well for that (the comping feature is something I really miss when working in Live). However, when I open Live and the Session view is sitting there looking back at me, I feel much more inspired then with all of the other programs I use/used. Reason 7 is also really cool but is kind of a pain as far as sequencing and getting a song going. Live has a lot of shortcomings but it just feels so nerdy and electronic that it always pulls some sort of interesting sound out of me. That has also become a problem: I have like 200 unfinished ideas in my Live Projects folder.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:37 am

It's not a rip-off. It's not mature, and live IS taking a bit of time getting it there but rip-off? No, I can't go there.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:39 am

joeyfivecents wrote:I've had zero crashes with 9. Also, this may not mean much to some people but Ableton is one of the only companies that still prints a nice hard copy of their manual. The packaging, contents, presentation, and accompanying videos are all high quality. I have to admit, I fell for their advertising. Ableton does a good job with the hype. You can't please everyone.
I haven't had "zero" crashes, but really not that many.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:23 am

misa wrote:
I think people forget how bad L8 was when it was first released. I started using Live at the end of L7's life-cycle and it was very stable. The best bet is to keep using the previous version until everything gets ironed out.
That would be a sensible approach, but if everybody did this, how would the bugs get ironed out ?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:50 am

Sibanger wrote:
misa wrote:
That would be a sensible approach, but if everybody did this, how would the bugs get ironed out ?
exactly...

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 am

In other words, when you are an early adopter, don't complain. Just report.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:56 pm

The Finn wrote:In other words, when you are an early adopter, don't complain. Just report.
Not quite fair. I was into the beta of 9 well before it was released and the beta dragged. I think it was released a bit early and there was not much going on in the beta forums other than people were a bit put off.

It's getting there, but I think ableton could have done better with the initial release to be honest. It's not like we were finding a bunch of bugs right before the release. There were issues that had been going on for months. Like I said, seemed like ableton dragged.

atlatnesiti

Post by atlatnesiti » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:01 am

Well, Ableton Live is in permanent BETA stage since ver.5 and since it is (beta) public release, you can have the latest and the greatest and most up to date Live for free all the time ;)
BTW; I bet that as soon ver.9.5 is released, a week or two later we will see beta 9.6 ;)
... and so the cycle goes on...
I just wonder, why did I bother to spend all that money to begin with...

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:28 am

eyeknow wrote:
The Finn wrote:In other words, when you are an early adopter, don't complain. Just report.
Not quite fair. I was into the beta of 9 well before it was released and the beta dragged. I think it was released a bit early and there was not much going on in the beta forums other than people were a bit put off.

It's getting there, but I think ableton could have done better with the initial release to be honest. It's not like we were finding a bunch of bugs right before the release. There were issues that had been going on for months. Like I said, seemed like ableton dragged.

Fair comment. You can have better and worse releases, and Ableton fumbled the ball with 9.01-9.0.3
But some people were carrying on like their fundamental human rights had been violated.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 am

The Finn wrote:
eyeknow wrote:

Fair comment. You can have better and worse releases, and Ableton fumbled the ball with 9.01-9.0.3
But some people were carrying on like their fundamental human rights had been violated.
When I am getting 20+ crashes a day, I feel like my fundamental human rights are being violated.

It's getting better..... :)

After the 3 year development and the beta experience, it was disappointing to see Live 9 released in its immature state.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Yeah, for people with so many crashes it sucks balls. Maybe because I'm not a "deep" user I just haven't run into them?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 pm

that's what they would have you believe.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

niharsavala

Post by niharsavala » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:11 pm

I do feel the live 8 Suite to live 9 suite is a rip off! $300 ? are you crazy? You keep the same insts, add few features & you charge as if you are buying a new DAW. Most of the softwares like say Reason charge arnd $130 for upgrades. And ppl dont forget, we dont just have one software/vst. All keep on upgrading their version. And how is a musician going to afford buying these upgrades all year around? Yes, you'd say, get Rich!

I use DP, Reason & Live as my setup, thru rewire ofcourse. plus VEP, NI komplete, eastwest lib n other millions of vsts, most of them bought, not cracks.