Logic Pro X is out.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Logic Pro X is out.

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:49 pm

Contact Apple, you might get upgraded for free. I don't know what their cutoff is, but they do that sometimes so it's definitely worth a try.

Just had a client insist I do her new mixdown in Logic X, so I'm installing now. More improvements than I first thought from the quick look through the help topics. I'll post my thoughts after some play time.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Tarekith wrote:Contact Apple, you might get upgraded for free. I don't know what their cutoff is, but they do that sometimes so it's definitely worth a try.

Just had a client insist I do her new mixdown in Logic X, so I'm installing now. More improvements than I first thought from the quick look through the help topics. I'll post my thoughts after some play time.
I've been watching the MacProVideo "What's new in Logic X" and have to agree, there's a lot more little things that have been improved. I never liked the MIDI editor for example since I just don't think in ticks, this has been changed and the layout is much better too. Also, they have sort of a clip view now that is non-destructive which was the biggest annoyance to me in previous Logic versions. This seems like a really great update, even though when I saw it before watching the videos I was completely underwhelmed. I am actually pretty excited about this, especially when it comes to Mac integration and CPU efficiency, there is nothing better than Logic...

Ken

h4nc0

Post by h4nc0 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:06 pm

I am really liking the new Logic, but not so sure about the "library." Sounds pretty mediocre to me. The new synths, on the other hand, are great!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 pm

I like the new look a lot better than the previous one, but I like darker colors.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 pm

Tarekith wrote:Contact Apple, you might get upgraded for free. I don't know what their cutoff is, but they do that sometimes so it's definitely worth a try.

thanks for the tip! which way you would suggest? i wrote a support mail via the app store but i`m not quite sure if this is the way to go???
thanks

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:20 pm

"use Scripter to create a completely original MIDI generator or processor using JavaScript."

I wonder if you can create GUI's with it?? Off to buy now!

DataMusic

Post by DataMusic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:56 pm

it also features a build in 32/64 bridge for plug-ins...

Abe´s?

come on..

:roll:

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:16 pm

DataMusic wrote:it also features a build in 32/64 bridge for plug-ins...

Abe´s?

come on..

No it doesn't.

naujpablo

Post by naujpablo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:11 am

i don't know.

i've heard the demos and the analog synth and synth drum machine sounds like crap, not even near to monark or diva. the grand piano is 5/10 to me. maybe they used the wrong demos on the website (they are mp3 files!)

however, its nice that they are including all those synths, sampled drums, keyboards, amps and effects on a solid daw with music notation and audio editing for USD$199, good enough for anyone looking into making music for cheap.

very complete, but not outstanding on any particular field. will not make any pro tools, ableton live and native instruments user to migrate, but will be useful for anyone who doesnt own any software at all.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:18 am

I think for the first time the sounds are not a huge selling point for Logic. You definitely get a lot for the price, but I don't find them as cutting edge as they were in the past.

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:28 am

Tarekith wrote:I think for the first time the sounds are not a huge selling point for Logic. You definitely get a lot for the price, but I don't find them as cutting edge as they were in the past.

Because there's not really much cutting edge places to go anymore short of the damn thing writing and performing music all by itself? :mrgreen:

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:30 am

DataMusic wrote:it also features a build in 32/64 bridge for plug-ins...

Abe´s?

come on..

No it's 64bit only, totally abandoning 32bit, fuk it I like this approach, plugin developers have had long enough

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:30 am

Man, I downloaded it and can't believe that some of these old annoyances are still there. You can't non destructively reverse a part of a region without having to still bounce it as a new audio file first? The MIDI note length editing still sucks. When moving an audio region while playing back a session there still is like a 2+ second lag before it plays the change, etc. Some very nice new features, but no improvement on some of the really annoying old features is a real downer.

Worst part really is that you can't demo it before you buy it...

Ken

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:26 am

As a former Logic user that still loves some parts of the user interface I was hoping that it would somehow be some breakthrough combination of Digital Performer and Live that would lure me back, but instead every new feature is something that Digital Performer already does,Flex Pitch, iPad app, multi lane tabulator, easy moving of plug ins in the mixer, all of these are in DP since a version ago.

I bought Mainstage 2 a week ago, it took about an hour and three different phone calls, but they're refunding me the money so I can buy Mainstage 3 which was also released! <-- The MAJOR downside to the App store and the whole lack of upgrade path it has. :x

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:36 am

kenporter wrote:Man, I downloaded it and can't believe that some of these old annoyances are still there. You can't non destructively reverse a part of a region without having to still bounce it as a new audio file first? The MIDI note length editing still sucks. When moving an audio region while playing back a session there still is like a 2+ second lag before it plays the change, etc. Some very nice new features, but no improvement on some of the really annoying old features is a real downer.

Worst part really is that you can't demo it before you buy it...

Ken
Thanks! All that and the fact the EXS24 is still the same as it ever was, I think I'll pass for now. Booo
Ableton | Elektron

Music