King Thread

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
docprosper

King Thread

Post by docprosper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Did I just dream the King thread this AM (excuse the pun)? I didn't see anything in it worth complete deletion, unless I missed some type of flamestorm in the last hour. Honestly felt some of Jack's points worth some consideration or at least honest reflection; one man's trolling is another's healthy debate/discussion IMO. The abes can of course ban/delete/lock as they see fit but this seems a little misplaced.
Why not discuss why some are elevated to a status where they can no longer be judged?
:?: :arrow:
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

beats me

Re: King Thread

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Once a quarter Ableton has Ableton David exercise his “this is not going to go well” authority for a week. This is that week. If there was ever a time for drunken ramblings on here it would be now.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:52 pm

If either of you are suggesting that it is entirely appropriate for that guy to say that MLK should have had his PhD revoked because of plagiarism discovered 25 years after his death, you are out of your minds.

Dr. King is not above judgement, but if after weighing his merits against his shortcomings you find him unworthy, you are either uninformed, stupid, or just plain scum.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:04 pm

I think most people who can understand english text can see that they are not suggesting that.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Actually, I don't think that is evident. Did you read the thread that this is referring to? maybe you don't understand english text.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:23 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:If either of you are suggesting that it is entirely appropriate for that guy to say that MLK should have had his PhD revoked because of plagiarism discovered 25 years after his death, you are out of your minds.

Dr. King is not above judgement, but if after weighing his merits against his shortcomings you find him unworthy, you are either uninformed, stupid, or just plain scum.

Saw the original thread, but wasn’t posting an opinion on it in here. Even if it wasn’t troll bait, it was bait for a heated discussion that would lead to insults. Couldn’t go any other way.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:29 pm

There were no insults between users in that thread when I left it and went to sleep.

But it was undoubtedly troll bait and the sentiment on the part of the OP was vile and reprehensible.

machinesfuckingoff

Post by machinesfuckingoff » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:38 pm

A bloody load of bull. :?

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:09 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:If either of you are suggesting that it is entirely appropriate for that guy to say that MLK should have had his PhD revoked because of plagiarism discovered 25 years after his death, you are out of your minds.

There is a lot of gray area between "entirely appropriate" and "reprehensible"; IMO, the thread was neither, although both descriptions are rather subjective. Full disclosure - I may have missed something nasty at the end as I don't track these threads continously throughout the day. IMO overreactions to the OP (yours in particular?!?) are just as responsible for driving a thread towards deletion as the OP's possibly acidic views themselves. Racebaiting seems to be far too simple around these parts...

Anyway, no need to beat a dead horse. Really just wondering whether I missed some fantabulous explosion of hate and vile at the very end. :arrow:
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:10 pm

leisuremuffin wrote: maybe you don't understand english text.
You're right, I don't.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:19 pm

machinesfuckingoff wrote:A bloody load of bull. :?
:lol:

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:30 pm

docprosper wrote:

There is a lot of gray area between "entirely appropriate" and "reprehensible"; IMO, the thread was neither, although both descriptions are rather subjective. Full disclosure - I may have missed something nasty at the end as I don't track these threads continously throughout the day. IMO overreactions to the OP (yours in particular?!?) are just as responsible for driving a thread towards deletion as the OP's possibly acidic views themselves. Racebaiting seems to be far too simple around these parts...

Anyway, no need to beat a dead horse. Really just wondering whether I missed some fantabulous explosion of hate and vile at the very end. :arrow:

I don't think I am guilty of anything even close to overreacting in that thread. I engaged him in very rational discussion even though his position was vile and intentionally contentious. I ignored it when he posted a picture of Dr. King with text written in faux Ebonics which was certainly enough to cross the line from "grey area" into reprehensible.

If you think that suggesting that BU should have stripped MLK of his doctorate is a reasonable argument, or that stating otherwise is asking for special treatment for MLK, you are nuts. The fact that I would even have to explain why is mind boggling and frightening to me.

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:39 pm

I think the forum's been desensitized to reprehensible opinions of late.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:44 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:If you think that suggesting that BU should have stripped MLK of his doctorate is a reasonable argument
Please don't tell me what I think, as I said no such thing. I posit that the above suggestion made by Jack does not, by itself, justify the deletion of an entire thread. Of course, this is not my forum but that "topic" IMO doesn't cross the line into what one would call blatant racism or hate speech. I cannot defend the meme - personally found it in poor taste but I am still able to get on with my day. IMO myrnova/9V's constant links to corpse pics are by far more revolting, disturbing, and worthy of deletion/ban.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:51 pm

leisuremuffin wrote: But it was undoubtedly troll bait and the sentiment on the part of the OP was vile and reprehensible.
And that’s where the bulk of the conversation would have gone instead of discussing it at face value…12 pages debating on the agenda of why it was posted in the first place. So it was deleted.