Logic Pro X is out.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Re: Logic Pro X is out.

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Fair enough ;)

Now, about that EXS24 MKIII
Ableton | Elektron

Music

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:27 pm

pencilrocket wrote:A review done by a user who isn't paid from a media.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 06#5420806
Interesting read, thanks for that link. Reading further comments there, that thread could happily sit in this forum, except with better reasons for the disappointment with Logic's 'upgrade' by the sound of it. I guess I won't be looking at buying Logic anytime soon!

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:57 pm

artpunk wrote:
Interesting read, thanks for that link. Reading further comments there, that thread could happily sit in this forum, except with better reasons for the disappointment with Logic's 'upgrade' by the sound of it. I guess I won't be looking at buying Logic anytime soon!

Yeah really well rounded review.
this is logic 9 with folder tracks, elastic pitch, a reskin (for the worse imo but it's not too bad), loss of the 32 bit bridge, and loss of SL compatibility. That's it.

That covers every new feature in Logic. And they didn't fix some shit from the previous version. Well written.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:09 am

beats me wrote:That covers every new feature in Logic. And they didn't fix some shit from the previous version. Well written.
LOL - that's why I thought that thread could be transplanted to this forum, just changing the 'Logic' to 'Live' in all the comments... :twisted:

To be fair, the OP in the linked thread actually expanded a bit more on their points than your distillation of the post. You did give me a chuckle though!

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:31 am

^that review made me feel glad I've invested so much time into using Ableton. I just don't feel that kind of pissed off about any of this any more.

The only thing that actually makes me feel irritated every time I think about it is the lack of a home folder in the browser... :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:45 am

artpunk wrote:
beats me wrote:That covers every new feature in Logic. And they didn't fix some shit from the previous version. Well written.
LOL - that's why I thought that thread could be transplanted to this forum, just changing the 'Logic' to 'Live' in all the comments... :twisted:

To be fair, the OP in the linked thread actually expanded a bit more on their points than your distillation of the post. You did give me a chuckle though!

I'm sure he is a skilled producer but he sounds like he most likely loves to third party plugin the shit out of everything possible so he's going to A). Bitch when those third party plugins don't work on day one of release and B). Not even going to mention any additions or improvements to built-in effects or sound modules because he would never use them anyway.

Next up lets go straight to things that pissed him off in the previous version and see if they got fixed. Nope. Fuck that, I want a refund!

/review

However I did learn that the inability to micro adjust a fader position just might be what's keeping me from next leveling my shit.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:05 am

I've spent a whole day with LPX and to me it feels like LP9 with a coat of paint. Mainly because my biggest gripe with Logic has been the archaic destructive audio editing (lack of reverse, transpose, etc. without horrible workarounds). It appears they made a nice upgrade with the new audio editing window but it turns out, unless I'm really missing something, that you still can't do these simple actions and its just about same as 9 with a bit better workflow.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:33 am

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. The more I use it, the more it feels like Logic 9 too. Still those annoying delays when you're moving regions around the arrange page, etc.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:59 am

Still those annoying delays when you're moving regions around the arrange page, etc.
Yes...that's a big disappointment as well as seeing most of the same plugin GUI's. I thought they bought off Redmatica and were about to drop a super sexy new sampler...
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 am

The delay he mentions when doing audio edits, it's what made me abandon it altogether. There is a similar delay when trying to preview audio/loops in realtime in sync with your project. When I posted on the forum asking, they said it was the expected behavior. Guess Live spoiled me...

Thanks for the link.

Freekster

Post by Freekster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:44 pm

Midi plugins in Logic X beat the crap out of the Ableton midi plugs.
Arpegiator, Chord and Scale are sooooo much better than in Live. There is also random velocity that is still missing from Live.

I use midi plugs a lot and therefore i have not used logic much anymore. After X update i will switch back.

Also: ByeBye only 8 macro knobs. I can't believe that there is still only 8 macros in Live 9. Maybe we get more with Live X :D

IMO only the midiplugs are worth the 179€
Aslo i think i got more bang-for-the-buck in X than what i got from Live 9 suite upgrade.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Freekster wrote:Midi plugins in Logic X beat the crap out of the Ableton midi plugs.
Arpegiator, Chord and Scale are sooooo much better than in Live. There is also random velocity that is still missing from Live.

I use midi plugs a lot and therefore i have not used logic much anymore. After X update i will switch back.

Also: ByeBye only 8 macro knobs. I can't believe that there is still only 8 macros in Live 9. Maybe we get more with Live X :D

IMO only the midiplugs are worth the 179€
Aslo i think i got more bang-for-the-buck in X than what i got from Live 9 suite upgrade.

Cool somebody in here is talking about the new features instead of just complaining about previous issues not fixed. Not saying that’s not important. Just saying it’s not the only thing to talk about.

I don’t have Live 9 yet but here’s my past thorough review of Live 8.
Still no automation in session view. DON’T BUY. Fuck you Ableton!

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Freekster wrote:Midi plugins in Logic X beat the crap out of the Ableton midi plugs.
Won't argue with the Chord and Scale plugs having the opportunity to be a little easier to use! They are quite functional, but it would be nice to just have a few more easy to use settings.

The reason I jumped into this post though, was to point out:
Midi Effects > Velocity is a pretty awesome tool. It does randomization, and also midi compression, max, min, +/-, which is cool. I like to throw it just before individual simplrs in my drum racks (like hats). Hope this helps you down the road. Cheers!
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Cool somebody in here is talking about the new features instead of just complaining about previous issues not fixed. Not saying that’s not important. Just saying it’s not the only thing to talk about.
That's an excellent point, I didn't realize I did exactly that! My apologies.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:24 pm

I read somewhere that the b3,clav, and rhodes are new too. But I wouldn't know because I have to install Mountain Lion first and that is taking all f'ing day. Apple, Ableton, and whoever else keeps messing up perfectly good DAWs.....please get your sh*t together. Some days I feel like getting an mpc and some kind of recorder (hard disk, tape, 4-track, whatever) and saying the hell with it.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel