Need advice. Fabfilter vs Ableton's Audio Effects

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Need advice. Fabfilter vs Ableton's Audio Effects

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 pm

IMVHO, when it comes to the EQs and Compressor, both Fabfilter and Abletons are more than good enough. Better than that really, they're both some of the best options out, so either will be all you need for quite some time.

When it comes to limiting however, Live's limiter is merely serviceable. It's simple to use and works well for simple limiting duties, but as a final end of chain mastering limiter it can't even come close to Pro-L. For me it's the best limiter ever made.

Steve Ballmer

Post by Steve Ballmer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:33 pm

I've used both Ableton's and Fabfilter's "pro" effects extensively, and I realize now (and don't take this the wrong way) that I don't give a shit. I can produce great sound mixes/masters with both and that's about all you really need to know.

SO. Live's ones win this one thanks to their lower cost and familiar interface.

I'm Steve Ballmer and I approve this message.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:03 am

Tlacuache wrote: I have got 2caudio (aether, B2, Breeze).
Don't know about Valhalla, is it better?
I think you're probably pretty well set with the 2caudio package.
*edit* if your cpu can handle it :P

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:58 am

... Have you considered DMG Audio products? Maybe demo them too, for comparison :)
EQuality (the EQ) doesn't add much to Live's native EQ8 imo, but COMPassion (the compressor) is a pretty sweet deal! You can add/make mods to simulate all kinds of different flavors of compressors... And the build in Transient Shaper and Peak Limiter, you get as a bonus, which are both pretty nice. Oh yeah, you can also use it as an Expander!
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

tintala

Post by tintala » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Yep I use em all Fabfilters quality is second to none, they are quite detailed and theres more to each plugin than "Compressor", "limiter", etc.. they actually can do more than the name implies. and the tutorial vids are of a very sophisticated quality and Dan Worrels presentation is very keen.. I love em, just got the PRO L on sale. I have all I need now... Fabfilters quality is amazing and with the PROq you can see before/after eq spectrum .