APC40-How to play 2 Scenes at once?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

APC40-How to play 2 Scenes at once?

Post by gjm » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:24 am

Yes I know I am late to the game, but I just got an APC40. I have it connected with Live 9 and am using the Demo set from the APC lessons in Live itself. I have noticed that if you select scene 4 AFTER selecting one of the other scenes, then a combination of both scenes end up playing. Selecting another scene cancels out both and plays just the new one. Sorry if this is a noob question, but I have only ever used scenes in a way that each successive scene choice cancels the playing of the last. I looked in the manual but did not find an outline of this behavior. If I have missed it, where do I look in the manual to find how to do this? Or perhaps a simple outline of how this is done...Cheers.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

sigabort

Re: APC40-How to play 2 Scenes at once?

Post by sigabort » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:46 am

Has scene 4 got the stop buttons removed from the empty clips so that it keeps on playing anything that's playing before?

gjm

Post by gjm » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:52 am

sigabort wrote:Has scene 4 got the stop buttons removed from the empty clips so that it keeps on playing anything that's playing before?
Yes! Thank you :D
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

RyzorBent

Post by RyzorBent » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:52 am

Hi gjm

how did you manage to get 2 scenes playing at the same time, i'm using ableton 9 with apc 40,

i have two scenes with 4 clips each, when scene 1 is playing and i start scene 2, scene 1 stops as soon as the other starts ...i want to be able to play them at the same time like a DJ mixing two tracks together.

please assist.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:21 am

You need to click on the empty clip slots and remove stop buttons...

Cheers
D

ark

Post by ark » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:21 pm

There isn't really a notion of "playing a scene." You can launch a scene, which is equivalent to launching every clip in the scene; but after that, what Live is playing is not the scene but rather whatever clips it is playing.

Moreove, Live will never play more than one clip at a time in a single track.

So...When you ask how Live can be playing more than one scene at a time, all I can figure is that you are really asking how Live can be playing clips from more than one scene at a time. The answer to that must be that not all of the clips in the scene were launched (yet).

I can think of three different ways in which that might happen. Of course there might be other ways I haven't thought of:

1) Some of the tracks in that scene have no clips and the corresponding cells have had their stop buttons removed, thus leaving other clips playing.

2) Because of quantization, some of the clips in the new scene have not started playing yet.

3) Because of follow actions, some of the clips in the new scene may have been launched, but other clips in those tracks are now playing.