I need experts to finally answer this: Platinum Notes Y/N?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: I need experts to finally answer this: Platinum Notes Y/N?

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:46 pm

New in Version 4.0
- Add Warmth to your music for a beautiful analog sound.
holy jumping jesus on a urinal cake...

so, if you ran the album Kind Of Blue through this it would pitch correct the album? (it was recorded at the wrong speed.)

I haven't used this, I'm no Pro, just another skeptic with the same lines I'm sure you're used to hearing.

Mixed In Key is great.

the demo on the home page sounds more compressed with higher gain with the bass manipulated, much like the screwy presets on car stereos and low end home receivers.

still, some people will dig it. I'm no Pro.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Post by 102455 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:36 am

Tone Deft wrote:Kind Of Blue.....was recorded at the wrong speed.
Not according to what I've just read. It was only the first three tracks (originally side one) that were "slightly sharp". This was only discovered in 1992, and corrected.

So (IMO) it would be correct for Platinum Notes to change it. It was a mistake, not intentional.

Thinking some more about it, the kit most consumers would've played the album on at that time wouldn't have been particularly accurate either.

No CD players, no pitch locked direct drive turntables, so some of the turntables could have played it back too slowly, returning the first three tracks to the correct pitch and making the rest of the album "wrong". :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Platinum Notes could correct for the fluctuations resulting from warped or off centre vinyl, that'd be useful.

Steve Ballmer

Post by Steve Ballmer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:19 am

N
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:37 am

Steve Ballmer wrote:N

That's more of a Steve Jobs answer.

Steve Ballmer

Post by Steve Ballmer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:47 am

You do realize I'm not THE Steve Ballmer, yes?
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:59 am

hahah!! Classic Steve.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:39 pm

102455 wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:Kind Of Blue.....was recorded at the wrong speed.
Not according to what I've just read. It was only the first three tracks (originally side one) that were "slightly sharp". This was only discovered in 1992, and corrected.

So (IMO) it would be correct for Platinum Notes to change it. It was a mistake, not intentional.

Thinking some more about it, the kit most consumers would've played the album on at that time wouldn't have been particularly accurate either.

No CD players, no pitch locked direct drive turntables, so some of the turntables could have played it back too slowly, returning the first three tracks to the correct pitch and making the rest of the album "wrong". :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Platinum Notes could correct for the fluctuations resulting from warped or off centre vinyl, that'd be useful.
only on the Ableton forum... :roll:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

onadamusic

Post by onadamusic » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:56 pm

Once I run the files through PN the new files clip the whole time and are unusable in Live. Any suggestions?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:28 pm

idea 1: turn down the volume on the clips
idea 2: don't use platinum notes

Justapasserby

Post by Justapasserby » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 am

Yakov (Mixed In Key) wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:32 pm
Danny Hard wrote:I see, but I believe that Wave tracks bought on Beatport aren't supposed to be editted by Platinum Notes right?
Danny, I use .WAV files myself and we created Platinum Notes to work on them. The consensus is that if you have really good source files (WAVs or uncompressed AIFFs), PN will do an even better job and make the output better.

There's a saying "garbage in, garbage out", and that applies to audio processing. If you put a low-quality radio rip into Platinum Notes, it's not really going to improve it dramatically. But if you have high-res audio tracks going into PN, it has more leeway to improve them.

We posted this on http://www.platinumnotes.com, and it's true for both MP3 and WAV files:

"We bought 500 files from Beatport and ran them through Platinum Notes 4.0. Here's the result:

Corrected 744 cents of pitch
Improved dynamics for 494 out of 500 files
Adjusted volume by 1284 db total
Fixed 1,975,500 clipped peaks"

So don't hesitate to run your WAVs through it, you'll only get better output as a result.
-Yakov
So, Yakov you've done some great work with Mixed in Key and Platinum Notes! But I'm seeking a consensus answer from those people who didn't develop the software! My fear is that blanket compressing or expanding my files means that you lose character in the audio or create other artifacts that aren't supposed to be there. How do you all feel? Or Yakov, if you can give me an explanation why that's not the case, I would love to hear it! (not looking for a marketing response, please.) Thanks in advance!