F@&£Ing volume!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sinkysaurus

F@&£Ing volume!!!!

Post by sinkysaurus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Ok. Firstly, sorry folks. I realise this might be a simple question but its a riddle
I can't seem to solve. I make my track, happy with the mix. The master channel volume is as high as it can go without clipping. I save and export my song. My problem is this-

My songs are NEVER loud enough!!!! When I compare them so a pro recording, or something from iTunes- my
Song is quieter, and its driving me nuts.

Help!

Re: F@&£Ing volume!!!!

Post by 102455 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Ah, loudness wars! You're looking to have your track so compressed that the waveform looks like a ruler, yes?

You want all the dynamic range sucked out so that there's no breathing space - no life.

Follow the herd of sheep. They went that-a-way!

:P

sinkysaurus

Post by sinkysaurus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Oh god grow up you moron. You don't even know what kind of music I make, so be quiet.

For any normal adults who would like to help me out, I have a genuine issue with my music being
TOO quiet, to the point it's silly.

Whatever "loudness wars" might be, lead me out of it. I'm not a music snob or keyboard
Warrior, just someone seeking a bit of advice.

Cheers folk! (Outside of that moron of course)

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:08 pm

hey sinkysaurus

the loudness of your track is indeed important and should be taken seriously

the easiest advice is simply send it to a competent mastering engineer. but if funds are lacking and you need to do it yourself then it's going to be a steep learning curve

there are tutorials all over the net. you can start here:

How To Make Your Mixes LOUD!

Creating LOUD tracks w/ EQ and Compression

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Some more basic ideas:

http://tarekith.com/mastering/

102455 was right when he said the difference in volume you're experiencing is due to the loudness wars. A quick google search would have explained and what you need to do to be competitive.

Post by 102455 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:32 pm

sinkysaurus wrote:Oh god grow up you moron.
Stick and stones....

Calling people names eh? Not a good way to get help. I made a lighthearted post about volume, based on what you'd written.

If you wanted to be taken seriously, I'd suggest not titling your post "F@&£Ing volume!!!!" and giving a bit more info.
sinkysaurus wrote:You don't even know what kind of music I make
That'd be because you didn't say what type of music you make. We can only give replies based on what info is posted.

So what kind of music are you making? Post an example track that you've judged to be too quiet, along with the name of a "pro recording" that you've compared it to.

Throw us a bone here! :-)

sinkysaurus

Post by sinkysaurus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:22 pm

You ARE a moron. You decided because my post had a silly fake swear word in the title that you would respond with the snobbiest, most condescending comment possible. Complete with sarcastic little pictures and comments about "following the herd". That's grade A moronic behaviour. I've taken my question elsewhere. Hopefully next time I ask a straight forward question I won't be met with moron behaviour or attitudes. I won't judge the good old ableton forums on the basis of the behaviour of one idiot.

I'm off to "follow the herd"

Post by 102455 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Suit yourself.

I obviously educated you with that post, as you didn't seem to know about loudness wars (going by your reply) and the "sarcastic little picture" was taken from the Wikipedia page on the subject to illustrate the result of compressing to that extent.

By the way, you didn't actually ask a question in any of your posts.

You seem more interested in having a pop at me than posting some info so people can help, so we're probably better off without you.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:05 pm

8O

sinkysaurus

Post by sinkysaurus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:13 pm

You're a moron, done.

Ps: got a good answer elsewhere. Done, apparently there's was a question.

Finito.

Moron.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Oh my god! Why does this forum suck so much? Do people just wait around for an opportunity to hassle anyone with a question? Go make some music! F**k!
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:22 pm

102455 wrote:You seem more interested in having a pop at me than posting some info so people can help, so we're probably better off without you.
In your first response you seem more interested in condescension through assumption.
I guess one could assume you were more interested in being called a moron than actually offering any help.

Not everybody looking for mixing tips is trying to follow a herd.
If your actually here to help, ease up on the insults.

Post by 102455 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:49 pm

He's the one insulting me!

As I said before, the loudness wars post was not intended to be serious. I even used a :P to reinforce that.

Instead of taking it as intended, he starts calling me names. When you're looking for help, that's the last thing you should be doing (IMO).

I've looked at his other posts....

He's a noob, he's not a regular contributor to the forum, he doesn't title his posts very well, he states that he wants to ask something but doesn't actually do so, when given replies he tells people it hasn't helped, or it's not what he wanted.....

To be honest, he could have found plenty of info from a quick Google in less time than it took to type his F@&£Ing title!

I have been offering help. Even the "joke" post was helpful. I've asked him for more info, and he's not given any.

We don't know how loud or quiet his track is. We don't know what he's comparing it to, or how loud he'd like it to be....

I dunno, some people (sigh)

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:04 pm

sinkysaurus wrote:I've taken my question elsewhere.
so you ignored the two good responses you got here

sheeesh

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:08 pm

102455 wrote:He's the one insulting me!
yo! accept that YOU are wrong!

i highly doubt that this is the way you work face to face