Ableton 9 User Script

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rabs

Ableton 9 User Script

Post by rabs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi,

I am trying to get my Roland A300 Controller to work as a control surface (auto mapped) within Ableton 9 as there isn't one in the default list.

I have found a user script with a UserConguration.txt file for an Edirol keyboard (which is an old model but apparently the same keyboard) and but can't seem to get it working.

I have put it within a folder in the MIDI Remote Scripts/_UserScript location but it doesn't show up in the drop down list.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated

yur2die4

Re: Ableton 9 User Script

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Try it in the midi remote scripts directory only, not being within _user scripts.

There should already be a bunch of other device model directories listed in there.

Best of luck.

rabs

Post by rabs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Ok great thanks, it's now showing in the list but the controller isn't auto mapping anything....any other ideas would be appreciated...has anyone else got a Roland A-300 Pro working like this?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16 pm

The next step is to make sure your keyboard is using the same layout/preset as what the script was written for.

Edit: Actually. First it is good to confirm what type of script you are using.

I noticed the you said it is a 'UserConfiguration.txt'.

There are two places for scripts. One is for scripts written in python code.

The other place is for User made easy scripts. These just have you type in numbers of cc's etc.

The python scripts are in te Ableton program folder.

The User scripts are placed in a user/personal type folder. I think it depends what operating system you are using.

It is a good idea to find Both folders so that you can differentiate between the two and place it in the User folder.

Next, being a user one, the steps are easy. Open the txt and look at what channel and what cc's are being used. The channel will likely be +1. So 0 on the script being 1 on the controller and 15 being 16.

Then see if your cc's are the right ones.

rabs

Post by rabs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:29 pm

mmm...don't think I am gonna have much joy with this, pulling my hair out at the mo!

Does anyone have a script specifically for the A300 Pro keyboard?

rabs

Post by rabs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 pm

yur2die4 wrote:The next step is to make sure your keyboard is using the same layout/preset as what the script was written for.

Edit: Actually. First it is good to confirm what type of script you are using.

I noticed the you said it is a 'UserConfiguration.txt'.

There are two places for scripts. One is for scripts written in python code.

The other place is for User made easy scripts. These just have you type in numbers of cc's etc.

The python scripts are in te Ableton program folder.

The User scripts are placed in a user/personal type folder. I think it depends what operating system you are using.

It is a good idea to find Both folders so that you can differentiate between the two and place it in the User folder.

Next, being a user one, the steps are easy. Open the txt and look at what channel and what cc's are being used. The channel will likely be +1. So 0 on the script being 1 on the controller and 15 being 16.

Then see if your cc's are the right ones.
On Mac and yes it is a user made easy script. At the minute it is in with the python ones, I can't seem to locate where it'd go in relation to user/personal folder...looked everywhere? any ideas?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:40 pm

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/07/a ... s-control/

I always suggest this to people starting on this. It gives you information on what to expect and how to do it. Even how to make your own :)

It IS frustrating at first, but when you get the hang of it, it gets much easier.

I think there is also a very long thread in Tips&Tricks on the topic. I'll link it when I find it.

rabs

Post by rabs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks for your help yur2die4 - I have read that and numerous others but had no joy. I think I may just stick with my old Oxygen as it auto maps. I was borrowing the A300 from a friend to see if I could get it work.