Ableton and sending MIDI to trigger QUNEO LED's...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Logic8807

Ableton and sending MIDI to trigger QUNEO LED's...

Post by Logic8807 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:37 am

I know to set up a midi track receiving signals from my drum rack track and outputting them to the QUNEO. I have LED feedback on the Quneo BUT they are sending to the wrong buttons!

I used the PITCH midi effect to move them to the correct pads but now my snare and kick are hitting on the same pad (different colors). I'm new to the Quneo and programming...but I'm ready to learn if someone has any idea!
https://soundcloud.com/thegraysmith/asp ... itch-remix

Check me out...let me know what ya'll think.

bosonHavoc

Re: Ableton and sending MIDI to trigger QUNEO LED's...

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:36 pm

the Quneo LED are hard coded and not adaptive (unfortunately)
the Python scripts work fine because the code sends the correct values to the LEDS
but not for direct midi mapping assignments

http://austinabletontutor.com/_KMI/qune ... ridLED.png

http://austinabletontutor.com/_KMI/qune ... LED_V3.png

Grid mode all pads on channel 2 rest on channel 1
Quneo Drum Mode LED map all on channel 1
Additionally, the green LED notes for grid on ch.3 will smoothly transition from green to yellow to red, based on velocity...

Logic8807

Post by Logic8807 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:12 pm

So, I'd have to write my own Ableton/Quneo scrip for accurate LED feedback on the Quneo pads with the drumrack?

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:18 am

pretty much.

or just use local feedback from hitting the pads and not send the notes to the leds of the Queno

trevox

Post by trevox » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:11 am

You don't necessarily need to make a script. You could create a M4L device to do the mapping - basically a more advanced version of the Live's pitch midi effect you tried to use already. You can parse each midi note separately and transpose the value according to the LED mapping diagrams in the previous post. You can also change the LED channels - they are not hardcoded to channels 1,2 and 3 for the various modes, though the ones outlined in the previous post are the defaults.

Logic8807

Post by Logic8807 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:43 am

I'm not too familiar with Max but now I have a reason to learn. I'll keep ya'll posted if you want to be.

trevox

Post by trevox » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:23 am

Logic8807 wrote:I'm not too familiar with Max but now I have a reason to learn. I'll keep ya'll posted if you want to be.
A few tips...

To parse the notes, you need these 3 objects: Midiin; midiparse; route. Basically, midi going into the device (notes) will come out of the "midiin" object - plug that into the midiparse object. Take the note/velocity pair from the relevant output into a "route" object. The route object should have an argument for each note number. For instance, if you have a bass drum on C1 and a snare on D1, the object should be [route 36 38]. The bass drums velocity will comes out of the first output, the snares out of the second. The more arguments you have, the more outputs the object will have.

Now you have separated each drum, you need to "re-make" the messages to send to the Quneo, for which there are a few options. For "hardwired" note messages (which is pretty much what you need), I would use a message object in the format [<note number> $1], where "<note number>" is the midi note as per the diagrams posted earlier (the top left pad is C0 which would be 24). "$1" is used as a variable in message objects which in this case will be the velocity message you send in from the route object. So if the light you want is C0 on the Quneo, the message object would be [24 $1]. If the velocity sent into it is say 120, the message that outputs when you hit the drum will be [24 120] for note on and [24 0] for note off. Create one of these message for each drum you wish to use to light up your Quneo - sending the corresponding output from the route object into each one. All of these messages then need to be sent into a single "midiformat" object (the pitch/velocity input) and that in turn into a midiout object.

With this setup, the velocity of the drum will light the quneo and a noteoff message (velocity=0) will turn it off. Other objects you could look at to do this type of thing are the "pack" and "unpack" objects which can be used to separate note/velocity and put them back together. Also, if you wanted to have the lights independent of the actual noteoffs (sometimes desireable), you can place a "notestrip" object between the midiparse and route object. All this does is ignore any message with velocity=0. Then later in the setup, you can place a "makenote" object to remake the velocity off. Within this object, the message pair will come out and after a specified amount of time, a noteoff message will be output. Probably not necessary, but worth knowing.

Lastly, if you want to understand what messages are being sent, you can plug anything into a "print" object and you will see the output of that object in the Max window. Alternatively, you can right click on the leads connecting two objects and choose to monitor the output (can't remember exactly what the option is called). Help in Max is great as well which can be accessed directly from the objects themselves - that's how a lot of people learn Max.

That should be enough to get you started - hope it helps.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 pm

if that's of any help, i built a MIDI effect rack that converts incoming notes from a drum rack to lights for the Quneo.
it doesn't use Python or M4L, only pitch and scale devices.
what you have to do is create a MIDI track with "MIDI In" set to the track containing your drum rack, and then "MIDI out" set to the Quneo, and Monitor set to In.

i'm not sure what the root note for the drum rack is, it might be C-2 or C3, you'll have to check (you can adjust that by putting a Pitch device before the MIDI rack).

here's the link:
http://cl.ly/2p1o0z460b0t

let me know if you're having troubles.

Logic8807

Post by Logic8807 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:31 pm

You guys are simply the shit.

Logic8807

Post by Logic8807 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 pm

peeddrroo wrote:if that's of any help, i built a MIDI effect rack that converts incoming notes from a drum rack to lights for the Quneo.
it doesn't use Python or M4L, only pitch and scale devices.
what you have to do is create a MIDI track with "MIDI In" set to the track containing your drum rack, and then "MIDI out" set to the Quneo, and Monitor set to In.

i'm not sure what the root note for the drum rack is, it might be C-2 or C3, you'll have to check (you can adjust that by putting a Pitch device before the MIDI rack).

here's the link:
http://cl.ly/2p1o0z460b0t

let me know if you're having troubles.
This actually worked perfectly. I had to pitch down to -36 and now all the pads are lighting at max velocity individually. Thanks!!!!!

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:50 pm

This is brilliant! Love it. 2 weird things though:

1) When I launch a clip from my APC, even if my Quneo is on preset 1, the corresponding light for launching that clip on Queno lights up. The pads still flash in time with the clip, but one of the corner LEDs stays on untl you touch it. Maybe I should turn off the Quneo 'Sync' under preferences?

2) For some reason, my MPD totally stopped working (as in, wasn't even sending data to Live) while I was using this device. Weird, because I use the Quneo/MPD together all the time.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Stevee00

Post by Stevee00 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm

I've figured out how to make Live control the LEDs without MFL, which I don't have. Just as Peeddrroo said, use a combination of scale and pitch controls. Plus I add in velocity to control the brightness. I use the racks too. It takes a little work, but is all possible because LEDs light up with specific notes, and Live has lots of control over notes.

I have two keyboards driving two separate busses, with two arpeggiators on each bus; I make most of my music in real time. I like to get visual feedback of what's playing because sometimes I lose track. I programmed Live to flash the grid LEDs green for one keyboard, red for the other, and yellow if they're playing in unision (one keyboard driving both busses). I also found a way to make it flash one LED no matter what notes in the scale are passing through the bus by putting the scale unit into the LED track and forcing all incoming notes to output as the same notes. A rack full of pitch controls (-12, -24, -36, etc) collects notes from any of the 88 on my keyboard.

I use the grid to trigger patches in Diva and Alchemy. By putting looped notes in separate clips that are triggered when I trigger a new patch (all with clips), I make the grid corner I pressed to get the patch flash persistently, so I can see what Diva patch is playing.

I'm looking into getting audio to MIDI converter plugins now so I can make Quneo show track levels.

Might sound like a lot of work, but it's what I need because I do a lot of free improvisations in performance, which means every moment is different, not pre-programmed, and I have to be able to see at a glance what's happening in my rig. Quneo is perfect for that!

I really like Quneo much more since the last software upgrade a couple months ago. Fixed lots of things I didn't like before.

Steve
Thin Air Music
ThinAirMusic.com
Ableton 8.2 Suite, Macbook Pro i7, 88-key Roland RD300, U-He Zebra, U-He Diva, Motif Rack ES, PadKontrol, NanoKontrol, NanoKey, AirFx.

Logic8807

Post by Logic8807 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:04 pm

I set my Quneo to Midi Channel 5 so it doesn't effect anything else....rather, nothing else effects it.