Deleted my sample database by mistake

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

How would you react?

go insane and cry in a corner for days
32%
shrug and keep on being awesome
37%
trying to trace back the best bits of your library
21%
other
11%

Total votes: 19

Fossiel

Deleted my sample database by mistake

Post by Fossiel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:39 am

Yesterday I was backing up (700 gigs..) to another disk, while some tiny errors occurred. I just formatted and started the process over, when I found out that it hadn't been copying but moving it instead.

Had a little emotional breakdown for 15 minutes. But after that I realized that the whole database had grown way beyond it's practical limits. Looking for the perfect snare would take an hour. I still feel bad about losing some damn good vocals, cause theyre hard to find. Other than that, right now it feels like I've put on some clean underwear, ready for a fresh start.

Re: Deleted my sample database by mistake

Post by 102455 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:15 pm

My samples reside on several computers and several external hard drives, so if I did delete them (not very likely) or something happened to corrupt them etc. then I would not be worried in the slightest.

I was never in the Boy Scouts, but their motto is the one to abide by. 8)

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:36 pm

I also have a couple of backups, but it's mostly outdated stuff that I don't use. The most precious ones were on that single disk.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Yeah. The hardest part is longing for the things you'll never get back, along with the time you will no doubt spend trying to re-acquire what you think you can muster up.

Oh, and any time you might use vsts that require the files which happen to be missing.....

...unless that is poor organization on my part. Not collecting things into projects. Heh.

turbomartin

Post by turbomartin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:30 pm

Yeh indeed.. And now I start to remember the things that put a lot of effort in, like creating that one particular hard kick with the amazing OOHMF in it. And the carefully sampled japanese horrormovies, that I wouldnt dare to watch ever again.. :cry:

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:27 pm

I'd stop using my computer and go straight to my file recovery software. I mean, the files are probably still somewhere on your disk, they've just had their space allocated as usable by other programs.

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:55 pm

I did a 'deep format', so not sure if that will be possible. Might give it a try tonight. But it is a very slow process with that amount of data, if I'm not mistaken.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Fossiel wrote:But it is a very slow process with that amount of data, if I'm not mistaken.
yeah, it'll take forever :P I wasn't talking about the disk you formatted though, that one's probably a lost cause. Did you format your hd, or the external? because I think they should still be sitting in freed space on the disk you moved them *from*. I mean, files aren't physical things that you move around, they are data stored in memory locations, so based on my admittedly rudimentary knowledge of file management, I'd think that when you "moved" them to another drive, it copied them, and freed the space they were previously residing in for other programs to access those memory locations, so they presumably would still be sitting in those locations on your disk, just not securely.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Damn, sh!t happens.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
works really well, as long as you have a day to run it.... I'm sure even with a deep format, some of your data can be recovered.
HTH :)

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks, will try it for sure.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:23 pm

PS AS SOMEONE ELSE SAID DO IT ON THE DRIVE WHERE YOU WERE MOVING STUFF FROM...
sorry for shouting, just realised, and am too lazy to type again... :mrgreen:

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:20 am

Why did you do a deep format? Do you have something to hide, citizen?!

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:23 am

He had a sample that was a mnemonic trigger to activate a mind-controlled sleeper cell, obviously.