Push + APC40 Trackswitchwing Crackle sound FINALLY FIXED!

Discuss Push with other users.
Otamono

Push + APC40 Trackswitchwing Crackle sound FINALLY FIXED!

Post by Otamono » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:56 pm

First of all, i dont know if it is the Right position to Post this technical.

Yes i know there is a Q&A forum on the Ableton Homepage but i have to Post it on the Most! obvious Spot.

The Problem was, when i switched the Track with the Push in Session Mode/Keyboard mode, or between Session and "keyboard/Drumrack Mode" or even the Record button of a track when the push only was connected and turned on i recieved a crackling noise, so that the sound would stop so fast that it did not interrupt but cause a edge in the wave form like an Dirac Impuls = Crackle sound.

So i tryd to fix it for hours with cpu control changes in bios, the whole menu in the internet on how to tune your pc for realtime Audio and on and on.

I never found a solution by other people who had the same problem with the apc40 (I had it too).

I even hear the crackle in vidoes on Youtube from people Using push, i couldnt imagine that anybody of these people would use it live in a club, when these crackles would accure when the cahnge the isntrument they play.

Long story short:

I found the solution in the Ableton Live Manual:

You have to switch the monitorin in the Track from Automatic to Off. Thats it.

I finally can use this otherwise great product without those nasty CRACKLES.

Spread the word, there were a few people wandering around but never got the help or never Posted the solution.

Thank you very much.

PS.: Pls before deleting it because of beeing in the wrong place contact me so i can repost anywere else or just move it.

But let nobody ever search for this Absurd Solution on their own again. Please.

Otamono

Re: Push + APC40 Trackswitchwing Crackle sound FINALLY FIXED!

Post by Otamono » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Mhh the down side seems to be that i dont can listen to my playing when it is set in Monitor mode off.

And it is not good to midi bind for live situations.

But at least it narrows down the problem for the crackle.

So now comes up one question.

How do you secure your system that if you play live gigs wiht ableton live.

That you dont get crackles when you add effects or tracks, or if you dont add tracks or effects live,
switch between tracks and not get that crackle sound ( if you get it) and if you dont get the crackles when switchtin pls post a reply with your system specs).

Remember the problem accured with the apc 40 aswell (when the record button is triggered for a track).

Thank you very much.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:17 am

hi and thanks, i will try it. i reported a problem like this but no solution: everytime i create new tracks, add effects etc. i got crackles and i thought im alone with this problem. live is useless for live using ;-)

i tried everyy audio/realtime/daw optimization, deactivating services blabla, bios blabla but i also have this problem withouth push or apc. i tried everything i know or found in the internet but nothing works.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Otamono wrote: Long story short:

I found the solution in the Ableton Live Manual:

You have to switch the monitorin in the Track from Automatic to Off. Thats it.
That may be a solution but a temporary one. All you are doing is turning off the input speaker, not really getting rid of what is still going on in the background.
One very important thing that you are not documenting is your sound card or audio interface, computer, memory etc. Is it at all possible they may be a culprit?
I have no clicking or popping when using these features, but then again I'm not using an APC with Push. See my specs below in the signature..

ps. maybe a Live reinstall, midi driver update or audio interface buffer change?
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Otamono

Post by Otamono » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Ye i didnt post my specs this was initially meant as a guide to fix.

Windows 7 64 core i7 2,66 ghz 6 gb ram, ati radeon hd 7850, fireface UC.

The problem even accurs with neither push nor apc plugged in.

Just switching the monotoring settings.

So no crackling is happening inyour setup?

You could try it with a subbass sound, and fast switch between session and keyboard mode or the monitoring settings off/auto while the bassline is running and the track is armed.

Thank you all.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:53 am

No crackling over here. switching from session to note mode while multiple tracks are playing back, armed or not. If you are having this problem without the APC and Push plugged in, I would be inclined to think it has something to do within your computer.. For instance, driver conflicts etc. You could start with getting rid of any drivers that are not being used and then possibly reinstalling anything that you are.

JMO, I don't think it has anything to do with Live or your hardware, it's external and or in your computer set up somewhere?
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Otamono

Post by Otamono » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:22 am

Ok the guy from ableton support came up with a solution for me.

At least for the switching tracks and arms crackling noise (so far i tested)

In ableton in Options tab (not the preferences) disable "Reduce Latency When Monitoring"

That did it for me! NICE MADE MY DAY, if sb has more questions how to find feel free to ask

Thank you all.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:27 pm

That's great! I'm curious though, what do you have your audio buffer settings at?
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Otamono

Post by Otamono » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:34 pm

I have it now down to 96.

Previously i tryed every setting it up to 2048. Nothing changed with the crackling.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:12 am

Sorry, double post.
Last edited by lyovino on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:13 am

I'm set at 128 and that is pushing it. Once your numbers start getting lower than this you are taxing your systems CPU heavily. This is when problems exactly like you were describing occure. There is a fine line between how low you can go and creating trouble. Make sure your system can handle it.. Try setting it at 128 and rebooting.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Otamono

Post by Otamono » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:36 am

Yes i know, but the problem was regardless of the buffersize, and now with the tip from ableton its gone for every buffersize. What you mean are the cpu overload crackles, which are accuring randomly. I dont have those. This was my last pcs problem :D

chilleddreams

Post by chilleddreams » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Otamono wrote: In ableton in Options tab (not the preferences) disable "Reduce Latency When Monitoring"
Yeah, that did the trick. Thanks!
Mac mini 2018 i5 3 GHZ, 8 GB RAM, Sonnet eGPU
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Live 10 Suite, Push 2,
Maschine Studio, Electribe EMX/ESX, Pulse
UAD Satellite Duo

aknewhope

Post by aknewhope » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:44 pm

I thought it may be my Focusrite Scarlett sound card, but it still does it through the built in notebook speakers and headphone out. Very annoying.