Undo Update clips and devices with changed media files

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
floond

Undo Update clips and devices with changed media files

Post by floond » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:55 pm

I have been noticing the topic line in my "Undo history" in the Edit menu lately. What does it mean/do? I've never seen it till recently, but I usually only check the edit menu, when for some reason Ctrl-Y / Redo isn't doing anything, so it could be more common than I think. In this particular instance I hit ctrl-z by accident which reset a freqeuncy setting on an EQ-8. Hit ctrl-y to move it back to its proper setting, only to learn that Live claimed there was nothing to redo, and the next step backwards in Undo history was the topic line. Just curious :)

floond

Re: Undo Update clips and devices with changed media files

Post by floond » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Ok, found out this is just the first undo step, and my problem really is the undo history bug. Even though I started the project in Live9, using a Live8 legacy preset (Maxwell bass) is enough to fuck up undo/redo history..

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:03 am

Just got this as well...No idea what could have caused it...Using Live 8.4. Kinda annoying because w this particular track i basically lost the ability to use "undo". Also, It's a big track so Live takes about a minute or so to save... :(

Mike

florian_bl

Post by florian_bl » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:56 am

Are you using any M4L devices? A lot of them write every action that they perform into the undo history, making undo practically useless. At least it happens on my computer. Mono Sequencer and the LFO are two M4L devices that I can remember doing this. Could this be the problem in your session?

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:13 am

florian_bl wrote:Are you using any M4L devices? A lot of them write every action that they perform into the undo history, making undo practically useless. At least it happens on my computer. Mono Sequencer and the LFO are two M4L devices that I can remember doing this. Could this be the problem in your session?
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely not using any MFL devices as I know things generally get weird when using them. Im on Live 8.4 os x 10.8.4

Cheers,
Mike

fredbloss

Post by fredbloss » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Yo did you ever get anywhere with this?
I've just start a free trial on Live 9 and i think am having the same problem

floond

Post by floond » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:24 pm

I never found a fix for the problem on that particular project. I was aware that M4L devices could render the undo history pretty much useless. But in this case I hadn't used any M4L devices, my crime was simply that I had loaded a preset from my Live 8 Library folder. I later read others experiencing the same problem when they loaded a L8 project into L9 or used L8 presets in L9. I think this issue is distinct from the M4L problem. But I just now tried to reproduce the problem unsuccessfully, so I think it may have been fixed the version I'm currently running (9.0.5 x64).

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:13 am

Got the same problem with Live 10.1 suite...

Undo becomes useless, it's frustrating. On my side I use M4L devices.

Any ideas since 2013?

OSX 10.14.6
16gigs Ram
MBP 2018 core i9
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

batmundo

Post by batmundo » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:42 am

I don't know if anyone else found a solution to this, but I was able to figure out the issue in my project by making a copy of the session, deleting several tracks a time and creating a blank MIDI clip (to have something to undo), until I was able to hone in on a track that appeared to have a long forgotten bypassed M4L device that had a broken link - once I deleted it, my undo woes went away. Not sure if the issue is the same for other people (i.e. the missing device causing the issue), but at least this could be useful in helping identify the problem devices?