User shortcuts/faves for faster navigation?

Discuss Push with other users.
Citizen

User shortcuts/faves for faster navigation?

Post by Citizen » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:17 am

Is there a way that you can specify shortcuts to places on your Library, so you can access things on the 1st level of navigation?

My custom drum racks currently require me to dig SEVEN levels deep to find them! 8O :roll:

PLACES > USER LIBRARY > PRESETS > INSTRUMENTS > DRUM RACKS > CITIZEN DRUM RACKS > What I'm looking for!

This is bullshit. Is there a way that I can jump here (or anywhere else) with a shortcut/alias?

lyovino

Re: User shortcuts/faves for faster navigation?

Post by lyovino » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:49 pm

Citizen wrote: PLACES > USER LIBRARY > PRESETS > INSTRUMENTS > DRUM RACKS > CITIZEN DRUM RACKS > What I'm looking for!
Everyone does things a little different, for now I've just been dropping them into the Presets folder. They show up here:

PLACES > USER LIBRARY > PRESETS > " :mrgreen: " INSTRUMENTS > DRUM RACKS > CITIZEN DRUM RACKS >

Or create a folder and name it "1" or "A Citizen Drums" and drop it in the Presets. It should show up first in the list after Presets.
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:36 am

I put EVERYTHING in my default user library (presets, samples, etc) in a sub folder called '0ther stuff'. I use a zero so it is alphabetically sorted to the top, hence out of the way.

Then I create the folders I need on the root of my user library: bass, drums, default tracks, effects, etc.
Then whenever I make a preset I like, I move it to the appropriate folder
Voila: it is one click away.
Last edited by re:dream on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:11 am

I'll try those suggestions guys, thanks,

For what it's worth, that filing system was from Live8, so before Push had entered the picture. I just wish the browser was more customisable/user friendly.

Post by re:dream » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:23 am

Yep. The browser is the only blot on an otherwise very nice upgrade of the software.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks again guys - this is much better. Still weird that you can't make your user library at the top level of the library structure!

Finn - do you have sub-folders in your '0ther Stuff' Folder?
I'm just trying to get some better ideas on how to organise my stuff!

Also - can you let me know how/where you've been putting your samples? Do they go in 'PLACES > SAMPLES'

Thanks - I tried searching for answers re. samples, but couldn't find any.
Last edited by Citizen on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:46 am

Also - can someone please explain the purpose of the 'Defaults' folder in the User Library?

(ideally I'd like to clear out as much of hte Use Library as possible, so it is JUST my custom stuff)

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:45 am

Anyone?

triant

Post by triant » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:53 pm

Citizen wrote:Also - can someone please explain the purpose of the 'Defaults' folder in the User Library?

(ideally I'd like to clear out as much of hte Use Library as possible, so it is JUST my custom stuff)
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/wor ... ts-live-9/

Post by re:dream » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:21 pm

In other words, don't delete it: this is where your custom stuff gets stored.

The defaults folder is one of the things I have put in my 0ther stuff folder. So yes, I do use sufolders there. Works just fine.

My own sample collection goes into an added folder under User Places.

I store my own samples in folders with names similar to those used in the Live sounds browser. This means they show up there too. But as I am using the Sound browser less and less I may change that.

You will notice there's a presets folder. That gets automatically created every time I save a preset but I keep it empty.

The trax folder is where I keep a range of default track setups. For example there is an external synth group(external instrument midi plus audio), a track I usae for rewiring to reason, and a couple of bus tracks.

Utilities is for all the other stuff I regularly need: Spectrum, Voxengo Scan, a little midi monitor, sewing kit, scissors, sellotape and painkillers.